Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Re: Nostalgia ain't what it used to be

Postby DiamondEcho » December 4th, 2016, 6:07 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib-Qiyklq-Q
'Coca Cola Commercial - I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing (In Perfect Harmony) - 1971 '

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » December 4th, 2016, 6:23 pm

Do you mean to say that you have forgotten:

I'd like to teach the world to sing
In perfect harmony.....bluh, bluh,
bluh, bluh,bluh,bluh,bluh,bluh,...
.............................coca cola.

I had forgotten it, thank you very much :(

Julian F. G. W.

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » December 4th, 2016, 6:57 pm

jfgw wrote:
I had forgotten it, thank you very much :(

Julian F. G. W.

Sorry. I know where you are coming from. Best forgotten eh. :oops:

panamagold

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » December 5th, 2016, 9:19 am

FredBloggs wrote:Remarkable though, "I'd like to teach etc..." was a big hit for the New Seekers too. Probably the best of the 70's era advertising jingles?

Indeed it was remarkable. An unusual thing for an ad jingle to be turned into a hit record. I can't say I find it objectionable; in fact my parents had the New Seekers album back in the day. It's an interesting early example of corporate political activism; since it was released in 1971, when against the back-drop of Vietnam [and the other Indo-Chinese conflicts] the world felt a very damaged place. Perhaps an example of the post-Woodstock post-hippy era going mainstream?

Coke are still up this kind of political activism. IIRC last time this ad was discussed over on TMF I brought up another Coke ad, much more recent and this time pitched at the domestic Singaporean audience.
'#CokeDrones by Coca-Cola Singapore & Singapore Kindness Movement'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj4A6g2GP30

The first time I saw it^ was in a cinema in Singapore and my jaw almost hit the floor. To suggest Singapore is a fiercely proud country is an understatement. And it does not tolerate criticism from anyone, particularly foreign interests. So when that ad rolled I was honestly left stunned that it had been passed by the government censors.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » December 5th, 2016, 10:33 am

DiamondEcho wrote:
FredBloggs wrote:Remarkable though, "I'd like to teach etc..." was a big hit for the New Seekers too. Probably the best of the 70's era advertising jingles?

Indeed it was remarkable. An unusual thing for an ad jingle to be turned into a hit record.

Unusual, but knot unknown - Jeans On
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWdcZqG02Ls

Slarti

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » December 5th, 2016, 12:37 pm

Slarti wrote:Unusual, but knot unknown - Jeans On https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWdcZqG02Ls
Slarti

Wow, blast from the past! I recall having at least one paid of Brutus jeans. What a trade-mark, it's so macho :lol:
Other brands I recall having in the 70s were Lois, Wrangler and Pepe. Curious, I don't recall having Levi's until the 80s, maybe they weren't big in the UK then, or more probably my parents couldn't afford them.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 5th, 2016, 12:46 pm

Wow, blast from the past! I recall having at least one paid of Brutus jeans. What a trade-mark, it's so macho :lol:
Other brands I recall having in the 70s were Lois, Wrangler and Pepe. Curious, I don't recall having Levi's until the 80s, maybe they weren't big in the UK then, or more probably my parents couldn't afford them.

I once had a pair of Brutus jeans, not great denim brushed denim in fact, not a patch on Levis. I remember in the early 70s it had to be Levis or possibly Wrangler or Lee were OK and everything else considered not proper...this was among my biker mates.

The original Levis 501 shrink to fit were wonderful things, the first time you washed them they would literally stand up on their own. They moulded to your shape and became part of you, I loved them. Wrangler denim was a different weave and the shape was different the waist to hip ratio was wrong for me.

John

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » December 5th, 2016, 4:34 pm

"Fry's Turkish Delight"

When I was at school, we wrote to Fry's to complain that our bars of Turkish Delight didn't have any Eastern Promise in them.

We received a letter of apology but not a box of free samples we were hoping for.

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » December 5th, 2016, 4:38 pm

"I was saying to someone the other day that the advertising jingle seems to have disappeared to a large extent." "but even if they were irritating they definitely stuck in my mind, and as a large part of advertising is simply promoting the brand it worked extremely well".

Do you mean to say that you have forgotten to buy some for Lulu?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtvW-B-vw5k.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » December 5th, 2016, 7:40 pm

I was born in 1955 in a working class area in the Sheffield. We had an outside toilet and were considered a bit posh because we used Izal toilet paper (the shiny stuff). My nan still used squares of newspaper. In winter there was always a little paraffin stove of some kind to stop the waterworks freezing. Bathing was a tin bath in front of the fire on Sunday.

We took over the local off licence when I was 5. The living quarters had an indoor bathroom but the only toilet was outside. Having an indoor toilet must have been considered unhygienic I suppose. We had a TV as far back as I can remember although the first one had an 8" screen. When I was a baby mum used to bath me in a bowl on top of the TV.

Washing machine was a top loader with a mangle. Nan used a washboard. My parents graduated to a twin tub and continued to use one until they died a couple of years ago.

Heating was always a coal fire, hot water was an Ascot heater.

We didn't have a phone until 1970, even then it was a 'party line', if you picked the phone up you could listen to the neighbours phone calls. I remember the old phone boxes when a call was 4d and there was a button A & button B.

In the shop we sold beer, cigs ( Craven A, Capstan, Players and other I can't remember). We also sold 'OMO' washing powder, which was discontinued for some reason.

Just a few random memories.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » December 5th, 2016, 8:14 pm

I lived in a 2 room flat when my first was born. No indoor lavatory..

I hope it wasn't too many floors up :(

Julian F. G. W.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 5th, 2016, 9:22 pm

jfgw wrote:
I lived in a 2 room flat when my first was born. No indoor lavatory..

I hope it wasn't too many floors up :(

Julian F. G. W.

If it was high enough, you could be amongst the highest peeers in the land.

I have more than 40 steps up from the road to the front door. As do all my neighbours. Couple next door moved in when she was pregnant, so must've done lots of steps with an infant and all the associated clobber. Rather them than me ...

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » December 5th, 2016, 10:15 pm

sg31 wrote: We had an outside toilet and were considered a bit posh because we used Izal toilet paper (the shiny stuff). My nan still used squares of newspaper.

Sorry, but a tad too much information.

sg31 wrote:When I was a baby mum used to bath me in a bowl on top of the TV.

Hmm, 'bowl of water'+ 'tv'? Hope it was a gas powered tele. :lol:

sg31 wrote:I was born in 1955 in a working class area in the Sheffield.......
Just a few random memories

Are the Black Swan and The Cavendish, near that big hole in the road in the centre of town, in amongst those memories?

panamagold

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 6th, 2016, 8:31 am

brightncheerful wrote:When I was at school, we wrote to Fry's to complain that our bars of Turkish Delight didn't have any Eastern Promise in them. We received a letter of apology but not a box of free samples we were hoping for.

You missed a trick there. One of my friends demanded a refund from Cadburys because, he said, the wrapper on his chocolate bar said you should return it if you were "not completely satisfied". And he wasn't, because after he'd eaten it he still fancied having another one. They paid up.

BJ

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 6th, 2016, 8:59 am

Does anyone else remember the competition that Cadburys used to run for schools every year? You had to write an essay on where chocolate comes from (indoctrinate the customers early). I won a tin with a picture of the Bournville factory on it containing a nice selection of Cadbury's bars.

John

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 6th, 2016, 9:53 am

redsturgeon wrote:Does anyone else remember the competition that Cadburys used to run for schools every year? You had to write an essay on where chocolate comes from (indoctrinate the customers early). I won a tin with a picture of the Bournville factory on it containing a nice selection of Cadbury's bars.

Shhhh, don't tell anyone, but everyone won those tins, and so did I. As it happened, I later found myself working (as a labourer) at the Bournville factory after I finished my university finals - I was living just round the corner - and, when I turned up for work on my first day, there was nowhere to park my motorbike.

Because there, on the field in front of the famed Cadbury building on the tin, were 100 brand new cars, which were the prizes in a national competition. All shiny and looking wonderful, and awaiting their lucky owners. A pity, then, that they were Hillman Avengers, but I suppose you can't have everything. :oops:

Even so, would any modern confectionery company dare to offer 100 new cars as prizes? And did I just dream up that amazing competition? Not even Google could confirm/deny the facts of the matter, until I chanced upon www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/cadburys ... -796239092.

So there we have it. Six months away from Edward Heath's three day week (remember that?), and life was still rosy. Damn, I entered the world of work just as the industrial clouds were gathering. Took a while to get through that one. :?

BJ

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 6th, 2016, 10:01 am

Shhhh, don't tell anyone, but everyone won those tins, and so did I.

They only gave out two per class at my school...I wondered why the teachers were all so fat!

Wooooo I'm a lemon slice now! :D :D

John

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » December 6th, 2016, 8:15 pm

Are the Black Swan and The Cavendish, near that big hole in the road in the centre of town, in amongst those memories?

panamagold[/quote]

Black Swan known locally as the Mucky Duck. I remember it well. Cavendish, not so much.

I passed through the hole in the road most days for about 10 years. It was filled in in the mid 90's, I didn't know until quite recently

I left Sheffield 35 years ago, I have visited a few times over the years, it's not home any more

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » December 7th, 2016, 2:56 pm

Do you mean to say that you have forgotten to buy some for Lulu?

Inspired by BBC R4 "The Archers' story line concerning 'Mother Goose" and wanting to find out why playing the dame is considered by pantomime actors to be a pinnacle of success, I found the answers but drew a blank on 'Lulu'. However, the word 'lullaby' is said to originate from 'lu lu' and other mouthings used for calming babies so perhaps the jingle composer's thinking was that buying Smarties would help the eater relax and sleep?

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » December 7th, 2016, 4:51 pm

How about the Esso ad campaign 'You've a tiger in the tank', which came with tiger striped textile things to hang out of your car boot that rather looked like Tarzan's willy-warmer!

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”