Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Crisis? What crisis?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
simsqu
Lemon Slice

Crisis? What crisis?

Postby simsqu » May 19th, 2023, 9:34 am

Is it just me or is every news story or headline at the moment mandated to include the word ”crisis”?

If there is no “crisis” nothing seems newsworthy. The assumption seems to be that the public are so comatose that only the word crisis has any chance of getting through their thick skulls.

There’s the energy crisis, the transport crisis, NHS crisis, nursing crisis, cost of living crisis, community care crisis, boats crisis, debt ceiling crisis, economic crisis, crisis in the healthcare system, rental market crisis, housing crisis, extreme weather crisis, environmental crisis, immigration crisis, Covid crisis, antibiotic crisis, obesity crisis, political crisis in the Tory party/ SNP / Labour party, hospitality crisis, NI protocol crisis, farming crisis, foodbank crisis, banking crisis, crisis in our rivers, mental health crisis, industrial action crisis, crisis in our schools, hospital bed crisis…

This morning I had a hole in my sock crisis, and I felt like opening a vein.

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Crisis? What crisis?

Postby servodude » May 19th, 2023, 9:34 am

simsqu wrote:This morning I had a hole in my sock crisis, and I felt like opening a vein.

Darn it!

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » May 19th, 2023, 9:45 am

simsqu wrote:Is it just me or is every news story or headline at the moment mandated to include the word ”crisis”?

If there is no “crisis” nothing seems newsworthy. The assumption seems to be that the public are so comatose that only the word crisis has any chance of getting through their thick skulls.

There’s the energy crisis, the transport crisis, NHS crisis, nursing crisis, cost of living crisis, community care crisis, boats crisis, debt ceiling crisis, economic crisis, crisis in the healthcare system, rental market crisis, housing crisis, extreme weather crisis, environmental crisis, immigration crisis, Covid crisis, antibiotic crisis, obesity crisis, political crisis in the Tory party/ SNP / Labour party, hospitality crisis, NI protocol crisis, farming crisis, foodbank crisis, banking crisis, crisis in our rivers, mental health crisis, industrial action crisis, crisis in our schools, hospital bed crisis…

This morning I had a hole in my sock crisis, and I felt like opening a vein.

Not sure about 'crisis', but I have noticed that there's a lot of 'outrage' these days. Everybody is outraged.

Oh, and of course, it then 'goes viral'!

... and becomes a 'crisis'. 8-)

Steve

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » May 19th, 2023, 9:52 am

There was a story in our local paper the other day where a cafe staff member told someones child to get down from somewhere they should not have been - it was described as a 'horrendous experience' by the parents.

In the same paper, one hack travels around various eateries trying their grub. He described one food van's burger as 'iconic'

....and yes, everything is in 'crisis'. Health services, roads, high streets, cost of living, Everton Football Club...the list goes on...and on, and on.

I wonder how folk (or maybe the press) would cope in a real crisis? Even a global pandemic for 95% of us in the UK was a walk in the park. Many got free cash lobbed there way and got to spend the summer in the garden.

WrenChasen
2 Lemon pips

Postby WrenChasen » May 19th, 2023, 10:43 am

Yep, the media seems hellbent on inducing stress and hypertension on a grand scale. Maybe it's time to invest in Omron. 8-)

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”