Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Things that make you go oooh thread....

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Re: Things that make you go oooh thread....

Postby Gersemi » September 21st, 2021, 11:03 am

dealtn wrote:
genou wrote:I attempted to get at an old NSI holder number this evening ( it's probably a fiver, if that ) .

Ended up in a data from Experian check.

Is this right? Bank account opened in 2013
Is this right? Bank account opened in 2015.

But the piece de la resistance, confirm your last address. Fair enough, but we left there over 30 years ago. We did eventually find it, but the process had timed out.

What makes me go ooh is the utter fecking incompetence of the people who programmed this dreck. 8 years / 6 years / 30+ years ago. What normal person can possibly answer these questions.

What normal person can't remember their last address?

If anything such questions are too easy, and possible to find out by scammers. Their use as "security" is woeful.

Oh dear, I'm guilty of that. When we sold our previous house 20 years ago our purchase fell through so we lived in rented accommodation for a few months. I can remember the street name, but I'm not sure of the number and definitely don't know the postcode.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » September 21st, 2021, 11:07 am

don't fret, a few months in rented is not the same a living somewhere for years

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » September 21st, 2021, 11:12 am

pje16 wrote:don't fret, a few months in rented is not the same a living somewhere for years

Quite, but it would be the answer to the security question, we were on the electoral roll at that address.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » September 21st, 2021, 11:14 am

Full disclosure always helps... :D

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » September 21st, 2021, 12:16 pm

dealtn wrote:
genou wrote:I attempted to get at an old NSI holder number this evening ( it's probably a fiver, if that ) .

But the piece de la resistance, confirm your last address. Fair enough, but we left there over 30 years ago. We did eventually find it, but the process had timed out.

What makes me go ooh is the utter fecking incompetence of the people who programmed this dreck. 8 years / 6 years / 30+ years ago. What normal person can possibly answer these questions.

From 30 years ago? Well mine was 25 years ago and I can't remember it in full ... bits of it but I'd have to find some old paperwork and check, it was a long winded one, going over 6 lines in full. The one prior to that, 36 years ago, I remember just the street and town. Ditto for 40 years ago, and 42 years ago just the town...

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 21st, 2021, 1:05 pm

mc2fool wrote:
dealtn wrote:

From 30 years ago? Well mine was 25 years ago and I can't remember it in full ... bits of it but I'd have to find some old paperwork and check, it was a long winded one, going over 6 lines in full. The one prior to that, 36 years ago, I remember just the street and town. Ditto for 40 years ago, and 42 years ago just the town...

I hate being asked where I was!?

You know that bit in the detective drama where they're like..
"where were you on July 4th? We found a body behind the pub you was working in .. .. and we needs your DNA to prove you didn't do it"

Well I thought I'd be all cool and stuff
- but I started to assume I was guilty.. because that's how you think when the guy being interrogated can't give valid answers

In my defense it was November and i'd just spent a couple of months travelling round Scandinavia before relocating to England
- I could tell them we'd had a special on for Budweiser given the date...
- but they (the polis) by this time, were pretty sure the poor girl had just been dumped behind the pub (and hadn't been in it)
- but to their credit were working their way round everyone they'd been able to identify read in the area

- the place she was found ended up being the Evening News office in Glasgow
- case as far as I know never solved
- DNA probably still on record

I've got a pretty good memory; but sometimes it falls, and sometimes it plays tricks :(

-sd

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » September 21st, 2021, 1:48 pm

Gersemi wrote:
dealtn wrote:

If anything such questions are too easy, and possible to find out by scammers. Their use as "security" is woeful.

Oh dear, I'm guilty of that. When we sold our previous house 20 years ago our purchase fell through so we lived in rented accommodation for a few months. I can remember the street name, but I'm not sure of the number and definitely don't know the postcode.

When I registered with Experian, I remember them giving me a list of banks and cards as part of the process, one of which was about 35 years old, but I seem to remember that addresses were up to 8/10 years? I never saw any questions about addresses going back further than that.

Re. another comment about the Electoral register, why would anyone bother to register if at a temporary address?

These credit ref agencies are strange. I was able to register with Experian with no trouble, yet it was impossible with Equifax and Transunion. Yet when I used Credit Karma to get a report, they got it via Transunion. Weird! Not to mention the soft searches, half of which I didn't recognise!

Steve

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » September 21st, 2021, 4:39 pm

stevensfo wrote:
Re. another comment about the Electoral register, why would anyone bother to register if at a temporary address?

Steve

So I could vote! I didn't know how long I was going to be there.

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » September 21st, 2021, 6:54 pm

dealtn wrote:
genou wrote:But the piece de la resistance, confirm your last address. Fair enough, but we left there over 30 years ago. We did eventually find it, but the process had timed out.

Perhaps I have a bad memory, or I don't clutter my mind with junk. Jacob Bronowski famously carried around a card with his car registration written on it, because he wasn't interested in it. I'm not that bad, but a 30+ years ago address, that I lived in for maybe 2 years, is junk.

But they do not ask you your last address. I might just have been able to answer that unprompted. My OH in fact could. But they actually ask "which of 33 / 35/ 37 /39 mumble street was your last address" . At which point the options are all too close to allow me to answer, and made my OH doubt enough that we had to go check.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 22nd, 2021, 1:30 am

genou wrote:But they do not ask you your last address. I might just have been able to answer that unprompted. My OH in fact could. But they actually ask "which of 33 / 35/ 37 /39 mumble street was your last address" . At which point the options are all too close to allow me to answer, and made my OH doubt enough that we had to go check.

I'd find that confusing for the opposite reason: too many addresses to confuse.

My last address before my current house was a 37. Before that a 33. In the more distant past I've lived at a 34, and a 39 (not to mention a 93, or was it 94?). Different roads, different towns, of course, but very easy to confuse just the number!

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 30th, 2021, 9:06 pm

Well, come on....we've all had these sorts of nights, haven't we....?

Turkey: 'Missing' man joins search party looking for himself -

A missing man in Turkey accidentally joined his own search party for hours before realising he was the person they were looking for, local media reports.

Beyhan Mutlu had been drinking with friends on Tuesday when he wandered into a forest in Bursa province.

When he failed to return, his wife and friends alerted local authorities and a search party was sent out.

Mr Mutlu, 50, then stumbled across the search party and decided to join them, NTV reported.

But when members of the search party began calling out his name, he replied: "I am here."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58746703

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

rikutafes

Postby rikutafes » October 8th, 2021, 2:59 am

I just found out about the existence of superbugs (bacteria that can't be killed by antibiotics) and the fact that they are spreading more and more. So if you get infected by them it's extremely hard if not impossible to get rid of them as they are practically immortal. Real scary stuff..

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » October 8th, 2021, 7:27 am

Micro art masterpieces sell for £90,000 -

A micro artist's tiny versions of six famous works of art have sold for more than £90,000.

David A Lindon has recreated Munch's The Scream, Vermeer's Girl with a Pearl Earring, Monet's Water Lily, Banksy's Girl With Balloon, and van Gogh's The Starry Night and Sunflowers.

His versions are small enough to fit into the eye of a needle.

Mr Lindon works in an "almost emotionless trance" during the night to avoid distractions and unwanted noise, and spends more than a month on each 0.5mm-wide [0.02in] plastic piece.

But he professes to not enjoy agonising over the intricate artworks, which he describes as a "physical challenge and a mental battle".

"I have to slow my heartbeat down essentially," he explained, adding: "I control my nerves, I steady myself. I get lost in my own world, I really do."

He added: "The only thing I enjoy is when it's done. That relief, and then to see the expressions of joy and surprise on people's faces, is fantastic."

Full story here, and source of the images above - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-58802201

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » October 21st, 2021, 6:30 pm

I carelessly dropped into CAN this morning - I was just looking at latest posts and Driver Problems Spreading caught my eye, without registering where it was. But shining through the piles of political invective, there were two beautiful submissions which should have been in this thread. My first thought was to link to them - but there are probably a number of sensible bodies who never stray there. So here they are - repeated.

first from swill453 -
New easier lorry driving test going well...

and a response from Kiloran -
Alternatively, it could be the advanced test.

Examiner: "Right, I've parked your vehicle in a difficult spot, so let's see how well you manage to manoeuvre out of it"

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » October 22nd, 2021, 8:25 pm

Good job that wasn't Starmer driving.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » October 22nd, 2021, 9:07 pm

rikutafes wrote:I just found out about the existence of superbugs (bacteria that can't be killed by antibiotics) and the fact that they are spreading more and more. So if you get infected by them it's extremely hard if not impossible to get rid of them as they are practically immortal. Real scary stuff..

Quite so. We've all been obsessed with coronaviruses for the last two years, but antibiotic resistance is a huge problem that scientists have been warning on for years. A ticking timebomb, and harder to contain than by just locking us all up (viz. rat bourne plague).

SimonS
Lemon Slice

Postby SimonS » October 22nd, 2021, 9:48 pm

moorfield wrote:
rikutafes wrote:I just found out about the existence of superbugs (bacteria that can't be killed by antibiotics) and the fact that they are spreading more and more. So if you get infected by them it's extremely hard if not impossible to get rid of them as they are practically immortal. Real scary stuff..

Quite so. We've all been obsessed with coronaviruses for the last two years, but antibiotic resistance is a huge problem that scientists have been warning on for years. A ticking timebomb, and harder to contain than by just locking us all up (viz. rat bourne plague).[/quote

Some of the rats are near immortal too!
The Independent March 2016
"A huge rat said to measure around 4ft has been found by workmen near a London playground.

Gas engineer Tony Smith said he spotted the giant rodent while working at a block of flats - describing it as the "largest I've ever seen in my entire life".
ITV
"New evidence has shown rats across Britain have now genetically evolved to withstand poison, so what are councils doing to stop it?

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 2nd, 2021, 3:54 pm

From the White House pool report on @POTUS journey from Edinburgh to Glasgow:
At one point when we were still on smaller country roads, a large, naked Scottish man stood in his front window taking a picture of the motorcade with his phone.

Welcome to Scotland, Mr President

https://twitter.com/BBCJonSopel/status/ ... 7984671747

Scott.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » November 20th, 2021, 8:40 pm

A random Royal fact I learnt from a quiz earlier today:

Camilla has been Princess of Wales longer than Diana.

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » November 22nd, 2021, 11:07 pm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... trian.html

I particularly liked the final few seconds which shows where the careering car ended up.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”