Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Things that make you go oooh thread....

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Things that make you go oooh thread....

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 22nd, 2021, 7:53 pm

kiloran wrote:Moving house......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-56156483

--kiloran

Moving more than mere house .....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56029203

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » February 23rd, 2021, 4:05 pm

Covid in Scotland: Drones to carry Covid samples
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-56154503
And does it make the Sea Eagles go oooh!

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 23rd, 2021, 5:30 pm

scotia wrote:Covid in Scotland: Drones to carry Covid samples
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-56154503
And does it make the Sea Eagles go oooh!

Heh.

So when a drone is mobbed and brought down by (say) crows or seagulls, and a bunch of excited kids go to investigate, does that make a super-spreader event?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » February 23rd, 2021, 8:07 pm

vrdiver wrote:
Mars: the only known planet inhabited solely by robots.

The buggers are even taking family photos with them now...

Source - https://i.redd.it/0h8u73aki8j61.jpg

From left to right in the family photo -

Sojourner (Jul 1997)

Spirit (Jan 4th 2004)

Opportunity (Jan 25th 2004)

Curiosity (Aug 2012)

Perseverance (Feb 2021)

You can even make out little Ingenuity towards the top-right of the picture, although he's not been 'born' yet....

Ingenuity, nicknamed Ginny, is a robotic rotorcraft that is planned to be used to test the technology to scout targets of interest on Mars, and help plan the best driving route for future Mars rovers.

The small drone helicopter is planned for deployment about 60 days after the landing of the Perseverance rover on 18 February 2021 as part of the NASA Mars 2020 mission.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Helicopter_Ingenuity

By the way, NASA have now released a multi-angle landing video now, and it's just amazing if anyone's yet to see any of the landing footage - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4czjS9h4Fpg

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 1st, 2021, 8:59 am

Twenty years in the time machine........

Trump's gold statue, 2021:

Trump's immortalisation, 2001:

Well, all except for the shorts, which surely came from:

BJ

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » March 5th, 2021, 12:41 pm

A floating ship.

OK, all ships float most of the time, but......... above the the water???????
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-56286719

--kiloran

PhaseThree

Postby PhaseThree » March 5th, 2021, 12:56 pm

Big Bird, Starlings over Lough Ennell

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 5th, 2021, 3:59 pm

Snorvey wrote:I know you're dead and all that but.....well <shudder>

The discovery of the body of a woman reported to have been dead for several years is being investigated by police in Aberdeen.

Officers were called to Allison Close in Cove last Thursday.

The Evening Express has reported it is believed the elderly woman had been dead for "several years", and was found after she failed to show up for a Covid-19 vaccination appointment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... d-56257842

I find this quite surprising (and sad) especially since it looks like she lived in a populated area. And what about the utilities / council tax and so on? Probably her pension went in and the DD's came out. Her garden looks 'sanitised' so no long grass to draw attention. I just find it unreal

Not commenting on this particular tragedy, but I do find it odd when you get a case like this that all the family emerge from the undergrowth demanding answers and laying into the 'authorities' - DWP, social services, police etc
"Why was my dear uncle/aunt/whatever left to die alone?"
The nasty cynic in me starts thinking.. "Why did you not look out for this beloved family member? You can't expect the social services to take the place of family. Did you ever check they were Ok? "
What do they want? An apology and compensation? Probably just compensation...

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 5th, 2021, 4:56 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Not commenting on this particular tragedy, but I do find it odd when you get a case like this that all the family emerge from the undergrowth demanding answers and laying into the 'authorities' - DWP, social services, police etc
The nasty cynic in me starts thinking.. "Why did you not look out for this beloved family member? You can't expect the social services to take the place of family. Did you ever check they were Ok? "

France had that same conversation after the 2003 heatwave, when something like 15,000 country-dwelling oldies died on their kitchen floors because nobody was looking out for them. Dehydration, heatstroke, losing their appetites and fading away slowly. While their kids were whooping it up in the towns and on the beaches instead of phoning home now and then.

Even today, there's still a national guilt complex in France about how the 2003 situation was ever allowed to happen, and who was to blame, and how the state ought to have been doing more, and blah blah blah. Kids will be kids, of course, but it shone an unfortunate light on the whole thing about intergenerational responsibility.

Not as unfortunate as Japan, though, where there are thought to be 230,000-odd centenarians quietly buried under the rockery while their progeny continue to collect the government money that comes through the letterbox every week. :| https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11258071.

BJ

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » March 5th, 2021, 5:20 pm

Snorvey wrote:I know you're dead and all that but.....well <shudder>

The discovery of the body of a woman reported to have been dead for several years is being investigated by police in Aberdeen.

Officers were called to Allison Close in Cove last Thursday.

The Evening Express has reported it is believed the elderly woman had been dead for "several years", and was found after she failed to show up for a Covid-19 vaccination appointment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... d-56257842

I find this quite surprising (and sad) especially since it looks like she lived in a populated area. And what about the utilities / council tax and so on? Probably her pension went in and the DD's came out. Her garden looks 'sanitised' so no long grass to draw attention. I just find it unreal

On a similar note, when I used to have a cat, I was always acutely aware that this purring, affectionate ball of wide eyed fluffy cuteness would quite happily eat me if I keeled over in the house and lay undiscovered.

I don't have time to go back over the press reports, but as I recall one report mentioned a husband. If so I assume it may have been one of those rare cases where a partner or child carries on with their lives as if nothing has changed, despite there being a cadaver in the bedroom. Crime and/or mental illness may be involved.
Do we really know what goes on in our neighbours' houses? There are near neighbours I don't see for weeks or even months, who neglect their gardens and houses even when alive, but they are not the sort of people I would want to go and knock on their doors to see if they are still breathing.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 5th, 2021, 6:17 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Not commenting on this particular tragedy, but I do find it odd when you get a case like this that all the family emerge from the undergrowth demanding answers and laying into the 'authorities' - DWP, social services, police etc
What do they want? An apology and compensation? Probably just compensation...

Has there been any such fuss from family members in this story?

I agree about looking after your own. Which is also why I don't support the great fuss about limiting care costs: if the family wants the inheritance, they can take some responsibility. Though currently covid restrictions might make that impossible for some.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 5th, 2021, 6:20 pm

Snorvey wrote:Ive read before that Japanese pensioners have taken to crime to get themselves flung in jail where life is much better and far more sociable.

It's a thought that goes with insecurity. At times of life when I've been in poverty the thought has crossed my mind: at least you get fed!

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 5th, 2021, 6:59 pm

PhaseThree wrote:Big Bird, Starlings over Lough Ennell

The photographer, James Crombie, spent months getting that shot https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-r ... -1.4501033

Scott.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 5th, 2021, 7:14 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:Not commenting on this particular tragedy, but I do find it odd when you get a case like this ....

Has there been any such fuss from family members in this story?

Not as far as I'm aware, but I've seen it in several cases over the years

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 6th, 2021, 8:02 pm

Chap in Cornwall got some fine pictures of a ship defying the laws of physics ...

That pic and others seems to be on lots of news sites: e.g. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-56286719 . If mods think it's inappropriate here despite such widespread publication, the BBC link should serve.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » March 20th, 2021, 5:53 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Chap in Cornwall got some fine pictures of a ship defying the laws of physics ...
Thing looks photoshopped to me. Surely the inversion referred to ought to be a purely vertical phenomenon. The water left and right (or should I say port and starboard) of the vessel should have been similarly elevated?

Chris

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 20th, 2021, 7:16 pm

csearle wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Chap in Cornwall got some fine pictures of a ship defying the laws of physics ...
Thing looks photoshopped to me. Surely the inversion referred to ought to be a purely vertical phenomenon. The water left and right (or should I say port and starboard) of the vessel should have been similarly elevated?

Chris

Well, National Geographic believes it. And there have been others in our recent weather: for example https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... ior-mirage and https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-56338236 .

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 20th, 2021, 7:22 pm

csearle wrote:
Thing looks photoshopped to me. Surely the inversion referred to ought to be a purely vertical phenomenon.

Check it again. Hovercraft technology at its most advanced. Is there nothing Elon Musk can't turn his hand to? ;)

BJ

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 21st, 2021, 6:09 pm

I was done up at Pangbourne on Thursday - managed to be fast and efficient , but still friendly. Lots of volunteers
All very good! I guess we'll see the first doses drop now as the second doses start ramping up - and there's the supply delay with the AZN shipment

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 21st, 2021, 7:29 pm

Snorvey wrote:873,784.

(Eight hundred and seventy three thousand, seven hundred and eighty four)

Vaccinations in a day.

I mean come on. Be proud.

Revised down a bit now, but still a record.

Scott.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”