Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Things that make you go oooh thread....

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Re: Things that make you go oooh thread....

Postby Tedx » December 2nd, 2023, 11:18 am

Minus 3.8 as I type this. I'm just sitting here having my coffee watching the birds fly in and out of the feeders. It's better than actually watching the TV to be honest.

Btw, B&M Stores seems to be the best place to buy bird food. They seem to be way cheaper than other stores in town as well as the likes of Amazon.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » December 3rd, 2023, 9:57 am

Ant Brett, from Essex, travelled to Cumbria for a family wedding but the conditions meant he was travelling for 19 hours and never made it.

He ran out of food and water and said emergency services or other organisations had not delivered supplies to the cars where he was stranded.

"I've been stuck since 4pm on Saturday," he told the BBC while waiting on the A595.

"I was heading up to a family wedding - it's fair to say I didn't make it. The cars here haven't had any water or food supplies. I'm down to my last bit of water and having to ration it. I know the emergency services are busy but we've just been left here without help."

Ant from Essex is a twat. He failed to plan adequately and he's not to blame. He didn't even assess the risk of such a journey when he was warned to do so. Instead he has a moan at the emergency services, the very people that are sent to dig the twat out. I'm sure they'd just rather he said his thanks and went on his merry way.

....and how can you run out of water when you're surrounded by snow?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67604834

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » December 3rd, 2023, 5:46 pm

A bit of trivia I picked up yesterday....

Charles Darwin reported owned a Galapagos tortoise he called 'Harriet' which was subsequently owned by the Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin over 100 years later.

Harriet died in a Sydney zoo aged 175 (estimated) :shock:

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » December 16th, 2023, 3:11 pm

Why can't the press hack my phone?

Please, hack my phone.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » December 16th, 2023, 4:33 pm

Tedx wrote:Why can't the press hack my phone?

Please, hack my phone.

It's not so easy nowadays :)

RC

SimonS
Lemon Slice

Postby SimonS » December 16th, 2023, 9:01 pm

Two teeshirts caught my eye this week

One carried the message "I am a God, my title and pronoun is OMG"

Another said "I identify as a WereTiger, and I identify you as Lunch. Your pronoun is now "my""

Neither particularly PC but it was the hospital.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 17th, 2023, 12:10 am

SimonS wrote:Two teeshirts caught my eye this week

One carried the message "I am a God, my title and pronoun is OMG"

Another said "I identify as a WereTiger, and I identify you as Lunch. Your pronoun is now "my""

Neither particularly PC but it was the hospital.

Surely it's no more than a lighthearted backlash against the weaponisation of pronouns?

I've identified as a few supernatural beings in my time. Bernard is funnier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPVKOMZh2RY

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » December 19th, 2023, 4:08 pm

Higher earners in Scotland are to pay more income tax, the Scottish government has announced.

A new 45% band will be introduced for people earning between £75,000 and £125,140 - meaning they will pay more tax than they currently do.

The top rate of tax, paid by those earning more than £125,000, will also rise from 47% to 48%.

I generally don't have an issue with higher earners paying a bit more in tax. The problem our wonderful SNP has is that we exist in the same country as 3 others who all have lower income tax rates. I mean it's hard enough to attract doctors and dentists for the frozen north as it is.

Where's the incentive?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-67759418

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » December 19th, 2023, 4:11 pm

Tedx wrote:
Higher earners in Scotland are to pay more income tax, the Scottish government has announced.

A new 45% band will be introduced for people earning between £75,000 and £125,140 - meaning they will pay more tax than they currently do.

The top rate of tax, paid by those earning more than £125,000, will also rise from 47% to 48%.

I generally don't have an issue with higher earners paying a bit more in tax.

The problem our wonderful SNP has is that we exist in the same country as 3 others who all have lower income tax rates. I mean it's hard enough to attract doctors and dentists for the frozen north as it is.

Where's the incentive?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-67759418

"You say you wanted devolution......well, you know....."

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » December 19th, 2023, 4:12 pm

We said we wanted to stay in the EU......

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 19th, 2023, 4:40 pm

Tedx wrote:I generally don't have an issue with higher earners paying a bit more in tax. The problem our wonderful SNP has is that we exist in the same country as 3 others who all have lower income tax rates. I mean it's hard enough to attract doctors and dentists for the frozen north as it is.

Talking of doctors and dentists ...

Just a few weeks ago, I was looking for a dentist. Went to the NHS site to look for the nearest NHS dentist ...

... and found just one practice in the whole of Southwest England listed as accepting NHS patients (other than children).

They were on the Isles of Scilly!

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » December 23rd, 2023, 1:54 pm

The days are fair stretching out eh?

Oggy
Lemon Slice

Postby Oggy » December 23rd, 2023, 3:18 pm

I generally don't have an issue with higher earners paying a bit more in tax. The problem our wonderful SNP has is that we exist in the same country as 3 others who all have lower income tax rates. I mean it's hard enough to attract doctors and dentists for the frozen north as it is.

I have an issue with it. Someone in Scotland on 20K a year gross will pay around 1 465 in tax. Someone else on 60K a year gross will pay around 13 243 in tax. So someone on 3x as much money as someone else will pay not 3x as much in tax - which would seem reasonable - but over 9 times as much in tax. This applies in the rest of the UK but the disparity is more, far more now, in Scotland. Scotland is the world leader in thinking you can tax your way to prosperity, but perhaps I am silly in thinking prosperity is what Scotland wants.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » December 23rd, 2023, 3:29 pm

Oggy wrote:

I have an issue with it. Someone in Scotland on 20K a year gross will pay around 1 465 in tax. Someone else on 60K a year gross will pay around 13 243 in tax. So someone on 3x as much money as someone else will pay not 3x as much in tax - which would seem reasonable - but over 9 times as much in tax. This applies in the rest of the UK but the disparity is more, far more now, in Scotland. Scotland is the world leader in thinking you can tax your way to prosperity, but perhaps I am silly in thinking prosperity is what Scotland wants.

You sound like you've got some kind of agenda.
I'm not sure this is that type of pub... why not have a mulled wine or something? It will help take the wind chill aff

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 23rd, 2023, 10:46 pm

Midwinter. And it's 15 degrees!

The thermostat in my hallway says 15 degrees. That's way above where I'd have the heating come on, so that's just the ambient temperature in the house. Indeed, the downstairs, which is (in all seasons) colder than upstairs.

The hygrometer upstairs says an even warmer 16.8 degrees. Though that's with the dehumidifier generating heat (to dry laundry) in the room it's in, as well as being at a warmer level of the house.

December 23rd. And it's been almost as warm for some time. I've stopped even wearing a winter pullover, and switched to a lightweight one I thought I'd put away for the season when we had the cold snap in November.

Is this just the mild weather, or could it be my new doors and windows are keeping the place warmer? I have one window open now, and had another during the day as it was such a comfortable temperature.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » December 24th, 2023, 7:59 am

Technically, it's just the start of winter.

We had the doors and windows done a few years ago and a pile of insulation put down in the loft a couple of years ago.

The house is far easier and cheaper to keep at a comfortable temperature. I wish I'd done it years ago.

clissold345
2 Lemon pips

Postby clissold345 » December 24th, 2023, 10:29 am

Tedx wrote:A bit of trivia I picked up yesterday....

Charles Darwin reported owned a Galapagos tortoise he called 'Harriet' which was subsequently owned by the Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin over 100 years later.

Harriet died in a Sydney zoo aged 175 (estimated) :shock:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harriet_(tortoise)

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » December 24th, 2023, 11:47 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Midwinter. And it's 15 degrees!

The thermostat in my hallway says 15 degrees.That's way above where I'd have the heating come on That's way above where I'd have the heating come on, so that's just the ambient temperature in the house. Indeed, the downstairs, which is (in all seasons) colder than upstairs.

The hygrometer upstairs says an even warmer 16.8 degrees. Though that's with the dehumidifier generating heat (to dry laundry) in the room it's in, as well as being at a warmer level of the house.

December 23rd. And it's been almost as warm for some time. I've stopped even wearing a winter pullover, and switched to a lightweight one I thought I'd put away for the season when we had the cold snap in November.

Is this just the mild weather, or could it be my new doors and windows are keeping the place warmer? I have one window open now, and had another during the day as it was such a comfortable temperature.

So what temperature is your thermostat set to then?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 24th, 2023, 2:09 pm

Leothebear wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Midwinter. And it's 15 degrees!

The thermostat in my hallway says 15 degrees.That's way above where I'd have the heating come on That's way above where I'd have the heating come on, so that's just the ambient temperature in the house. Indeed, the downstairs, which is (in all seasons) colder than upstairs.

Usually about 9 or 10 degrees. Keep the chill off (now that I can afford such things) in my old age.

If I'm feeling a bit under the weather, I might occasionally turn it up a little. Last winter it went up to 13 a few times, though I deplore that kind of deviation from nature other than when a medical condition (the nasty lurgy I had in February 2005 being the prime case) saps the warm-blooded body's natural temperature self-regulation.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » December 24th, 2023, 2:30 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Leothebear wrote:

Usually about 9 or 10 degrees. Keep the chill off (now that I can afford such things) in my old age.

If I'm feeling a bit under the weather, I might occasionally turn it up a little. Last winter it went up to 13 a few times, though I deplore that kind of deviation from nature other than when a medical condition (the nasty lurgy I had in February 2005 being the prime case) saps the warm-blooded body's natural temperature self-regulation.

I'm guessing you don't have many guests then......

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”