Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Things that make you go oooh thread....

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Re: Things that make you go oooh thread....

Postby Tedx » May 3rd, 2023, 3:15 pm

If I was a copper I'd have thrown the book at you.

But then, I am a bastard.

Good job I'm not in the police actually

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » May 3rd, 2023, 3:18 pm

Tedx wrote:If I was a copper I'd have thrown the book at you.

But then, I am a bastard.

Good job I'm not in the police actually

A Glasgow polis with a book?
They might carry the Daily Ranger for the pictures but a book suggests they can do words and stuff... nae danger

doolally
Lemon Slice

Postby doolally » May 3rd, 2023, 5:14 pm

servodude wrote:
Tedx wrote:A pubgoer spied struggling to get into his Mini Cooper at 2am was caught with the engine running whilst more than three times the legal limit.

Tomahawk McGinn claimed he’d just gone to his car to collect a friend’s belongings – although when police found him the headlights were on, the engine was running and he was wearing a seatbelt, Aberdeen Sheriff Court was told.

He should be charged with having a silly name too.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/ne ... elongings/

Chopper's wee brither?

Funnily enough I was once found in a very similar condition..

The polis didn't believe that I had started the journey in the passenger seat in which they found me. Engine was running in the private hire cab to keep the heating on cos it was the middle of the night, and the middle of winter. Driver had nipped out of the car to run the half mile or so to the hotel up the road (this was in Eastwood, Glasgow) to use their phone because the big fir trees were stopping his radio getting through and the clutch had snapped. Leaving rather drunk me to twiddle my thumbs for a bit, then explain to a pair of six foot fuds who pulled up in a jam sandwich panda car behind it, how getting a taxi is meant to work, and why this one was failing in that regard.

It got progressively more surreal as they asked me about it being my vehicle ("no it's a taxi - there's a light up there that says so"), about driving ("no officer I'm rather pished and I don't have a licence"), about not taking drunk driving seriously ("I do, I don't drive and I'm in a taxi")
The driver eventually shouted to them as he was running back to the car - by which time my hands were on the roof and they were patting me down.
I found the whole thing a lot funnier than they did... which is probably why they refused to run me home and I had to wait for a replacement motor.

Sounds a plausible story to give the police. But on this anonymous forum.... come on, fess up, give us the real story.
doolally (ex-resident of Eastwoodmains Road, who had a big fir tree in his garden)

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » May 4th, 2023, 12:29 am

doolally wrote:
servodude wrote:
Chopper's wee brither?

Funnily enough I was once found in a very similar condition..

The polis didn't believe that I had started the journey in the passenger seat in which they found me. Engine was running in the private hire cab to keep the heating on cos it was the middle of the night, and the middle of winter. Driver had nipped out of the car to run the half mile or so to the hotel up the road (this was in Eastwood, Glasgow) to use their phone because the big fir trees were stopping his radio getting through and the clutch had snapped. Leaving rather drunk me to twiddle my thumbs for a bit, then explain to a pair of six foot fuds who pulled up in a jam sandwich panda car behind it, how getting a taxi is meant to work, and why this one was failing in that regard.

It got progressively more surreal as they asked me about it being my vehicle ("no it's a taxi - there's a light up there that says so"), about driving ("no officer I'm rather pished and I don't have a licence"), about not taking drunk driving seriously ("I do, I don't drive and I'm in a taxi")
The driver eventually shouted to them as he was running back to the car - by which time my hands were on the roof and they were patting me down.
I found the whole thing a lot funnier than they did... which is probably why they refused to run me home and I had to wait for a replacement motor.

Sounds a plausible story to give the police. But on this anonymous forum.... come on, fess up, give us the real story.
doolally (ex-resident of Eastwoodmains Road, who had a big fir tree in his garden)

All true!
The problem happened as he was turning off the toll roundabout and we pulled in opposite the theater bit on Rouken Glen road.
Driver possibly had to run past yer house in his hunt for a phone at the Stakis place!
This was pre M77 and mobile phones - and apparently that was a black spot for the radios to get back to whatever passed for a tower in Barrhead.
Fortunately I was sufficienly in my cups (thanks to having had a few hours with a free bar at the celtic connections festival club - staff got access the same as performers for the first few years ) to find the experience fun more than annoying

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » May 8th, 2023, 7:20 pm

Louis the Osprey suffers from wind.

https://youtu.be/CMPNawu15bo

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » May 17th, 2023, 8:25 pm

Manchester City are taking Real Madrid apart here.

It's pretty stunning to watch.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » May 19th, 2023, 9:13 am

An elderly Australian woman with dementia is in hospital with life-threatening injuries after being Tasered by police at a care home.

Officers were called to Yallambee Lodge in Cooma, New South Wales (NSW), after reports that 95-year-old Clare Nowland was carrying a knife.

I goes on to say:

Two officers and care home staff tried to de-escalate the situation, before she began approaching police - "it is fair to say at a slow pace" - and was Tasered.

"She had a walking frame. But she had a knife," he said.

...and they tasered her twice!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-65642974

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 19th, 2023, 12:07 pm

Tedx wrote:An elderly Australian woman with dementia is in hospital with life-threatening injuries after being Tasered by police at a care home.

Officers were called to Yallambee Lodge in Cooma, New South Wales (NSW), after reports that 95-year-old Clare Nowland was carrying a knife.

I goes on to say:

Two officers and care home staff tried to de-escalate the situation, before she began approaching police - "it is fair to say at a slow pace" - and was Tasered.

It was only this March I was confronted by a 97-year-old dementia patient with a big carving knife. With a level of frailty that would've merited a walking frame!

I felt no threat to myself: I knew I could react faster than him. There was a potential threat to him or to property if I'd left him alone. If I'd tackled him physically, the risk would've been to him, not to me. If someone trained to handle such situations had tackled him, there should have been no risk to anyone.

I expect the care home staff called police for legal reasons rather than because they themselves felt at risk and couldn't have disarmed her!

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » May 19th, 2023, 4:34 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Tedx wrote:An elderly Australian woman with dementia is in hospital with life-threatening injuries after being Tasered by police at a care home.

I goes on to say:

It was only this March I was confronted by a 97-year-old dementia patient with a big carving knife. With a level of frailty that would've merited a walking frame!

I felt no threat to myself: I knew I could react faster than him. There was a potential threat to him or to property if I'd left him alone. If I'd tackled him physically, the risk would've been to him, not to me. If someone trained to handle such situations had tackled him, there should have been no risk to anyone.

I expect the care home staff called police for legal reasons rather than because they themselves felt at risk and couldn't have disarmed her!

There are cases in the USA where police have tasered young children in school. Not that the child posed a real threat, but where they were worried that the child was so scared, hysterical and confused, the poor kid could do something very stupid.

Steve

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » May 19th, 2023, 4:41 pm

There are cases in the USA where police have tasered young children in school. Not that the child posed a real threat, but where they were worried that the child was so scared, hysterical and confused, the poor kid could do something very stupid.

I think we can say this marks an improvement in US police practice. They'd normally shoot them. (esp if they're black).

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » May 19th, 2023, 8:54 pm

What does a million buy you in Aberdeenshire?

https://search.savills.com/property-det ... scli228877

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » May 19th, 2023, 9:29 pm

Tedx wrote:What does a million buy you in Aberdeenshire?

https://search.savills.com/property-det ... scli228877

I suspect the million is the annual heating bill

--kiloran

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » May 23rd, 2023, 2:24 pm

Silent...but deadly.

No, not one of them :D

One of these.

https://youtu.be/W5YWV7eUeQc

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » May 26th, 2023, 7:12 am

Vaping: How do you quit e-cigarettes?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-65669481

Hmmm. Take up the fags?

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » May 30th, 2023, 4:03 pm

TV fraud gang jailed for illegally streaming Premier League games

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65697595
lookout for subscribers to be determined :o

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » May 30th, 2023, 4:10 pm

pje16 wrote:TV fraud gang jailed for illegally streaming Premier League games

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65697595
lookout for subscribers to be determined :o

Just reading that. 11 years in jail sounds like a lot - on the other hand, maybe it's correct and that some other sentences that have been handed out have been so pathetic (for example motorists that kill or hurt other folk through very poor driving or drink/driving)

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » May 30th, 2023, 4:30 pm

Tedx wrote:Just reading that. 11 years in jail sounds like a lot - on the other hand, maybe it's correct and that some other sentences that have been handed out have been so pathetic (for example motorists that kill or hurt other folk through very poor driving or drink/driving)

the real problem is the namby pamby sentences handed out to the latter

11 years sends a message to others (IMHO) ;)

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 30th, 2023, 5:06 pm

pje16 wrote:
Tedx wrote:Just reading that. 11 years in jail sounds like a lot - on the other hand, maybe it's correct and that some other sentences that have been handed out have been so pathetic (for example motorists that kill or hurt other folk through very poor driving or drink/driving)

Contrast those who merely defraud us as investors or consumers (or specific groups like sub-postmasters), and hardly ever get jail time.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » June 1st, 2023, 9:45 am

pje16 wrote:

To illustrate my point (from yesterday's local paper):

Drink-driver fled crash which left girlfriend lying seriously injured in road

A dangerous drink-driver who crashed his car into a wall in Peterhead town centre and then fled the scene has been spared jail.

Simon Gemmell’s girlfriend was thrown from the vehicle in the smash, leaving her with serious injuries and disfigured, Aberdeen Sheriff Court heard.

He left the crash scene but returned a short time later – and lied to police about who was the driver.

The 29-year-old denied causing serious injury by dangerous driving and attempting to pervert the course of justice but was found guilty by a jury after trial.

Jeezo, how many serious crimes are in that lot?

Anyway....

Gemmell, of Windmill Street, Peterhead, was handed a four-year roads ban and must resit an extended test to regain his licence.

He must also be under supervision for one year and carry out 250 hours of unpaid work during that time as an alternative to custody.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/ne ... y-injured/

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 1st, 2023, 9:48 am

It didn't take long to get an example of just what I said here :roll:
viewtopic.php?p=592428#p592122

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”