Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Things that make you go oooh thread....

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Things that make you go oooh thread....

Postby bungeejumper » July 3rd, 2020, 10:31 am

swill453 wrote:Carrying a bottle of hand-gel in the car (as we do) solves some (but not all) of those issues.

Yeah, but then I'd have touched the bottle. And then I'd have to get that clean as well? :lol:

BJ (strictly in jest)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 3rd, 2020, 11:14 am

Snorvey wrote:But don't (apparently) leave it in the car on a very hot day as high content hand gels may ignite.

That's all I need, a ready-primed Molotov cocktail in the car.

For some reason, I'm reminded of a Ray Bradbury short story ("The fruit at the bottom of the bowl"), where a man has committed a murder, but then suddenly gets paranoid about having left fingerprints in the room. No problem, he thinks, all he has to do is clean everything. And then everything that's come into contact with the things he's cleaned. And then everything that's come into contact with those things....

And then all the other rooms where the two men had been before the murder..... And everywhere else, just to be on the safe side....

When the police arrive, he's a gibbering idiot, polishing the contents of the attic. He still wipes the front door handle clean as they take him away, though. :lol:

BJ

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » July 3rd, 2020, 12:44 pm

Snorvey wrote:
But don't (apparently) leave it in the car on a very hot day as high content hand gels may ignite.

Not a problem in July in Scotland - the monsoon season has commenced to synchronise with the traditional Scottish holiday month.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 3rd, 2020, 12:56 pm

scotia wrote:
Snorvey wrote:
But don't (apparently) leave it in the car on a very hot day as high content hand gels may ignite.

Not a problem in July in Scotland - the monsoon season has commenced to synchronise with the traditional Scottish holiday month.

And also with the easing of travel restrictions. Perfect Storm indeed.

Scott.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » July 3rd, 2020, 3:42 pm

scotia wrote:
Snorvey wrote:

At least we have an easy way of knowing when it's summer in Scotland..... the rain is vertical rather than horizontal

--kiloran

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 3rd, 2020, 4:27 pm

Snorvey wrote:Anyway, why not spend your holiday cash here?

What holiday cash?

I can get hills and moorland and midges right on my doorstep. OK, all on a smaller scale than your country (especially the midges), but you're a bloomin' long way to go.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » July 4th, 2020, 4:18 pm

Snorvey wrote:Anyway, why not spend your holiday cash here? Ok you'll miss out on Shagaluf for this year, but it's hardly the end of the world and God knows our economy needs it.

Your wish seems to be coming true. My son, driving on the A9 south towards Perth saw a steady stream of traffic travelling north today - cars and mobile homes accoutred with canoes, bicycles and roof rack luggage.
However the happy times for locals being permitted to fish some prestige beats on the Spey (on day tickets for a suitable fee) have come to an end with their owners or long-established renters now being free to travel north.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 5th, 2020, 2:12 pm

Kanye West is running for US president in November. Well, that's what he says this afternoon. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53297864 . And whaddaya know, Elon Musk is backing him.

Allegedly. The BBC's report notes, however:

But it's unclear whether West is really running.

He does not appear to have registered his name with the Federal Election Commission (FEC) for November's election. The closest name the FEC database shows is a candidate called "Kanye Deez Nutz West", who filed their papers with the Green Party in 2015 under the address "1977 Golddigger Avenue, Suite Yeezus"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BJ

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » July 7th, 2020, 12:46 pm

Snorvey wrote:........And finally, I also read an article regarding air conditioning. which was originally invented to keep factories and their products in a stable environment, which then became a luxury item and now is commonplace (like the automobile in a way). Now it's commonplace all over the world. The former president of Singapore, Lee Kuan Yew, called aircon 'perhaps one of the signal inventions of history' and it allowed for the rapid expansion of his country. Now Singapore is hot and humid and can probably justify a widespread use of aircon, but now it's popping up in much gentler climates and, like the car, it's beginning to be something you just have to have. The article I read, said in one (hot) day last year, New York's air conditioning consumed the equivalent of an astonishing 18 thousand horsepower....(Source: The Guardian)

If you really want a shock track the spot price for electricity on those hot days

-sd

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » July 7th, 2020, 12:59 pm

Snorvey wrote:Things I learned yesterday:

Trump is really unhappy about the massive new Russia - Germany gas pipe (it's called Nord Stream 2 - they already have a Nord Stream 1). And with some justification in my opinion. Trump has long believed that Germany misses out on a substantial part of it's defence obligations (and costs), preferring to rely on the US military. Former German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder is reportedly quite friendly with Putin. Schroeder is in charge of Nordstream 2 and a bit of a relic from the old days of East Germany. The US wants to sell vast amounts of it's gas to Germany, the country it helps defend. Which is understandable and not buy it from a potential adversary. (Source: Bloomberg, Reuters etc)

Just how would the US get their gas to Germany?

I'm guessing that a pipeline across the pond is not an option. So, balloons?

Watis

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » July 7th, 2020, 1:15 pm

Snorvey wrote:Just how would the US get their gas to Germany

LNG tankers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNG_carrier

The environmental cost of shipping gas around the world in oil-burning ships sounds horrendous compared to the cost of building and maintaining a pipeline.

Equally, I was aghast when I learned that Britain is importing wood chips from America to burn in power stations, for the same reason.

Watis

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » July 7th, 2020, 4:53 pm

Watis wrote:

LNG tankers

The environmental cost of shipping gas around the world in oil-burning ships sounds horrendous compared to the cost of building and maintaining a pipeline.

Don't LNG tankers use the Gas evaporating from the tanks as fuel?

TJH

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » July 7th, 2020, 9:25 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
Watis wrote:

LNG tankers

Don't LNG tankers use the Gas evaporating from the tanks as fuel?

TJH

They do. I have been on one.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 7th, 2020, 9:54 pm

Watis wrote:

LNG tankers

Equally, I was aghast when I learned that Britain is importing wood chips from America to burn in power stations, for the same reason.

Watis

Yes biomass is regarded as a sick joke in the world of plumbing and heating from an environmental standpoint. Lots of firms just hold their noses and take the money such is the demand from customers chasing the govt subsidies available AIUI.

It's sort of ok environmentally if you're cutting down the trees in the 'sustainable' woods next door to your industrial unit and planting replacement trees as fast as you're burning them, but once you're shipping your wood pellets halfway across the world common sense goes to the four winds and I don't see how you can possibly be helping save the planet.

sunnyjoe
Lemon Slice

Postby sunnyjoe » July 8th, 2020, 11:09 am

LNG tankers

There is a glut of LNG at present and prices are at record lows which make many facilities uneconomic. The Chinese have delayed construction of a number of facilities and many other facilities are likely to be white elephants as renewable energy is even lower cost in many cases.

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » July 10th, 2020, 9:38 pm

Snorvey wrote:.....and it finished with the PAP taking 83 of the 93 seats but on a reduced vote share of 61% compared to 69% 5 years ago.

Still, it's a majority that any government would die for

If you have not lived in Singapore you will not understand how the PAP achieve their overwhelming majorities. When I was there, there was only one opposition MP, and the Govt used the legal process to make his life a misery. Unless things have changed drastically which I doubt, the opposition will be a put up job for international consumption and respectability.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 11th, 2020, 8:10 am

If, say, the Conservatives won over 60% of the vote in this country, there wouldn't be any opposition to speak of either. They got their huge majority in the last election with less than 45% of the votes.

Scott.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » July 11th, 2020, 11:10 am

Snorvey wrote:Ah, memories...

Six slang terms only the middle-aged understand

Warning: Might be offensive to some

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/lif ... 0708198250

They forgot 'Plonker'.

Warning: Might be offensive to some

The fact that you/we feel obliged to write disclaimers every time we point out the bleedin' obvious just demonstrates how screwed up our society has become.

Am I allowed to say 'screwed up'?

Steve

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 11th, 2020, 6:22 pm

Took my 86 year old dad out for a run in the car today, only the second time he's been out since he's been shielding. I heard him clink some coins in his trouser pocket. Turns out that every morning he picks up his change from the bedside cabinet and puts it in his pocket.

He hasn't been in a shop or anywhere near somewhere he could spend money since early March...

Scott.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » July 11th, 2020, 6:29 pm

swill453 wrote:Took my 86 year old dad out for a run in the car today, only the second time he's been out since he's been shielding. I heard him clink some coins in his trouser pocket. Turns out that every morning he picks up his change from the bedside cabinet and puts it in his pocket.

He hasn't been in a shop or anywhere near somewhere he could spend money since early March...

Scott.

Doesn't everyone remove their change from their trouser pockets, before hanging them up? Once you have picked the coins up from the floor, and looked for the pound coin that invariably goes under a piece of furniture, you soon learn the error of your ways.

I last visited an ATM in early February, and am unlikely to need to withdraw cash before August, or even September. You still need the odd coin or two, but 99p prices are a menace.

TJH

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”