Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Stepping down

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Re: Stepping down

Postby JohnB » January 12th, 2020, 7:37 am

Like many aspects of the media I wish I had a filter to hide all the royal stuff as I'm not interested. When we get a new heir to the throne I'd digest the headline, but that's about it. If people want figureheads to open stuff, fine, but I don't value their opinions or appreciate their influence. I think everyone should be able to reject celebrity, but just don't hope they play on it in a Duke of Plaza Toro way

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » January 12th, 2020, 9:39 am

I must say that this topic has brought out the worst in contributors. Prejudice, racism, innuendo, assumptions, you name it, it has cropped up.

My sympathies are totally with Harry and Meghan. I do hope that today's family discussions at Sandringham are amicable and that a sensible solution is found.

Meanwhile it would be better if the gutter press and the ill informed kept quiet.

TJH

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 12th, 2020, 10:42 am

The trouble with today's climate is that it is almost a no no to make any negative comment about someone 'of colour', to use what appears to be the only acceptable way of describing someone who is not white Caucasian.

I think that Harry was unwise to marry Meghan, not because of her colour, but simply because her US showbiz style background would never have made her a comfortable fit with the Windsors. I think that she has conducted herself with dignity and decorum considering the pressures she must be under.

I agree with some of what TJH has said, but I think we are entitled to make assumptions if we want, based on the facts as we understand them.

Dod

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » January 12th, 2020, 11:57 am

yes , people i usually feel in some harmony with - or not - show up quite differently on this matter !

:D ;)

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » January 12th, 2020, 12:27 pm

Dod101 wrote:The trouble with today's climate is that it is almost a no no to make any negative comment about someone 'of colour', to use what appears to be the only acceptable way of describing someone who is not white Caucasian.

I think that Harry was unwise to marry Meghan, not because of her colour, but simply because her US showbiz style background would never have made her a comfortable fit with the Windsors. I think that she has conducted herself with dignity and decorum considering the pressures she must be under.

I agree with some of what TJH has said, but I think we are entitled to make assumptions if we want, based on the facts as we understand them.

Dod

Is getteing married to someone every a completely rational decision? Maybe I'm the exception but I fell head over heels in love with my wife, the thought of analysing her background, family, career prospects and educational achievements never entered into it.

We've had our problems but we are still very happy together.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 12th, 2020, 12:40 pm

tjh290633 wrote:I must say that this topic has brought out the worst in contributors. Prejudice, racism, innuendo, assumptions, you name it, it has cropped up.

My sympathies are totally with Harry and Meghan. I do hope that today's family discussions at Sandringham are amicable and that a sensible solution is found.

Meanwhile it would be better if the gutter press and the ill informed kept quiet.

TJH

Giving a rec/thank doesn't seem enough.

This is one of the most laudable comments I have read in my 15+ years on "the Fools"

Chapeau! and hearty thanks for restoring my dwindling faith

- sd

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » January 12th, 2020, 3:50 pm

JohnB wrote:Like many aspects of the media I wish I had a filter to hide all the royal stuff as I'm not interested. When we get a new heir to the throne I'd digest the headline, but that's about it. If people want figureheads to open stuff, fine, but I don't value their opinions or appreciate their influence. I think everyone should be able to reject celebrity, but just don't hope they play on it in a Duke of Plaza Toro way

Agree completely. Also, with TJH's comment about the gutter press. It really irritates me that we are told so much garbage by the tabloids, what to think, what 'they' consider as news etc. I think it hit home years ago with the OJ Simpson trial when the media decided that the poor blinkered old Brits had to be made to take an interest whether they really wanted to or not. If you use your imagination, you can see how many ways there are to spin this Harry story and the garbage press have obviously decided on an agenda and will milk it for all it's worth.

The one good thing about the Daily Mail and Sun is that they're cheaper than Viz.

Steve

pds2008
Lemon Pip

Postby pds2008 » January 12th, 2020, 4:29 pm

simsqu wrote:Frankly I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

If I was Emperor, I would keep the Queen and her immediate Heir for the tourist trade, and sell off the rest of the bunch for medical experiments

At last, a voice of reason - it might even bring an end to this thread

Yell

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 12th, 2020, 4:36 pm

pds2008 wrote:
simsqu wrote:Frankly I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

If I was Emperor, I would keep the Queen and her immediate Heir for the tourist trade, and sell off the rest of the bunch for medical experiments

At last, a voice of reason - it might even bring an end to this thread

Spoiler alert - it didn't.

Scott.

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Postby robbelg » January 12th, 2020, 6:36 pm

You've all missed the most important thing about this affair.......

No one is even thinking about Andrew.

Rob

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » January 12th, 2020, 6:42 pm

And to prove Scott right, my opinion...

I think that it must be a funny thing to be born and grow up to discover that you aren't "normal" and have all these strange obligations.

So if you find the one you love and want to be with her more than you want to go along with the family tradition it must be tempting to just do it.

I also feel that he could have gone about it differently but on the other hand maybe he knows something that I don't, for example the likely outcome of such an action.

I wish them well. As far as the finances are concerned he is transitioning from one model to another, so the arrangements should reflect this.

Chris

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 12th, 2020, 6:42 pm

robbelg wrote:You've all missed the most important thing about this affair.......

No one is even thinking about Andrew.

Er, look at the first reply in the thread.

Scott.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 13th, 2020, 12:03 am

sg31 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:The trouble with today's climate is that it is almost a no no to make any negative comment about someone 'of colour', to use what appears to be the only acceptable way of describing someone who is not white Caucasian.

Dod

Is getteing married to someone every a completely rational decision? Maybe I'm the exception but I fell head over heels in love with my wife, the thought of analysing her background, family, career prospects and educational achievements never entered into it.

We've had our problems but we are still very happy together.

I assume you are not Royalty.

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 13th, 2020, 12:07 am

stevensfo wrote:
JohnB wrote:Like many aspects of the media I wish I had a filter to hide all the royal stuff as I'm not interested. When we get a new heir to the throne I'd digest the headline, but that's about it. If people want figureheads to open stuff, fine, but I don't value their opinions or appreciate their influence. I think everyone should be able to reject celebrity, but just don't hope they play on it in a Duke of Plaza Toro way

Agree completely. Also, with TJH's comment about the gutter press. It really irritates me that we are told so much garbage by the tabloids, what to think, what 'they' consider as news etc. I think it hit home years ago with the OJ Simpson trial when the media decided that the poor blinkered old Brits had to be made to take an interest whether they really wanted to or not. If you use your imagination, you can see how many ways there are to spin this Harry story and the garbage press have obviously decided on an agenda and will milk it for all it's worth.

The one good thing about the Daily Mail and Sun is that they're cheaper than Viz.

What is the 'gutter press'? I have no idea what the tabloids are saying and do not care. I guess the tabloids are those that influence the majority opinion in the UK but I frankly have no idea what they are talking about or their opinions.

Dod

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 13th, 2020, 8:14 am

JoyofBricks8 wrote:It really isnt too much to ask for an example, as you are calling people racists, and you know it.

I'm not in the business of giving you examples: the main point I made was that it seems to me that you were given examples by others but just didn't accept them. I any case, if you genuinely need to find out about this for yourself, just keep reading social media (particularly) and the newspapers for yourself. Or perhaps don't, because I suspect one's mind may become equally prejudices and full of hate. Sup with a long spoon would be wise advice.

Or you could just sit there with your eyes and ears closed like two of the three wise monkeys.

Arb.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 13th, 2020, 8:52 am

Dod101 wrote:What is the 'gutter press'? I have no idea what the tabloids are saying and do not care. I guess the tabloids are those that influence the majority opinion in the UK but I frankly have no idea what they are talking about or their opinions.

That's your right and your perfect entitlement, of course. But if someone genuinely doesn't know what the tabloids are saying, then perhaps it might somewhat limit any claim he makes to understand the situation that Harry and his wife are having to deal with? You can bet your life that H&M are being fully apprised of every angle.

O/T, but my neighbour's son is a senior correspondent for the Daily Mail, and he's been responsible for more than his share of front page stories over the years. He's a good sensible balanced sort of chap, and you'd probably like him if you were to meet him at a party. (I do.) But he told us many years ago that the DM had a macho thrusting culture where the journos were actively (ahem) "encouraged" to think up bizarre and outrageous angles to their stories. Send in a story from some major assignment that doesn't offend anybody, he said, and you'd be back reporting on gardening and cattle auctions for a week or three.

So you'd compete with your colleagues and rivals for who could achieve the most shock value. It explains a lot, I think. The culture within the tabloids is simply like that. And as for social media, where nothing is ever fact-checked....... :shock:

Harry and Meghan have to cope with this crap all the time. Yes, I'd agree that they've probably got it wrong by not informing the family in advance, but if I were having to watch my wife being treated in this way I think I'd be getting toward the edge of reason!

BJ

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » January 13th, 2020, 9:31 am

There's no such thing as a "white caucasian". That is the problem. Not the precise word used to describe such a mythical being.

GS

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 13th, 2020, 9:52 am

There may not be but I think you know what is meant by that popularly used expression.

Dod

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » January 13th, 2020, 11:12 am

I think a lot of people were very enthusiastic when H&M married. A breath of fresh air. What progress! An intelligent, mixed race, very successful woman yet from humble beginnings, becoming a princess in our Royal family.

Well for whatever reasons she didn't fit in. Seems that the royal family want to retain the same old stale air. The gutter press latched on to this and saw it as the green light to criticise M at every opportunity.

Harry may have acted unwisely in not informing his grandmother first. But he does have the guts not to take this all meekly and stand up for his wife and son.

His mother had to take the vitriol dished out to her, they don't. Good for them if they go.

I, surprisingly, now feel rather depressed about the whole thing. I thought that as a country we'd left this sort of nonsense behind.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » January 13th, 2020, 11:43 am

jackdaww wrote:royal inheritance has to go .

i dont want kings , queens , princes , princess's , and all their descendants .

no child should have there lives pre-determined from birth with no exit.

FWIW whilst not a roylaist by the same token Ive no issue particularly with the concept as it stands in the UK.

However the REALLY important thing is JD's second line above.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”