Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Stepping down

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
didds
Lemon Half

Re: Stepping down

Postby didds » January 13th, 2020, 11:45 am

Snorvey wrote:As long as it doesn't cost us anything anymore, I couldn't give a toss about H&M.

No doubt though, he will trade off his birthright and whore himself to all and sundry in America and make a feckin fortune off the back of us.

if it doesnt cost the UK taxpayer anything ongoing why is our issue if others want to throw money at him?

Seems he has kept to his "contract" until now. And now divertting himself of its demands.

Like the rest of us with employmemnt contracts

didds

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 13th, 2020, 12:23 pm

didds wrote:
jackdaww wrote:royal inheritance has to go .

i dont want kings , queens , princes , princess's , and all their descendants .

no child should have there lives pre-determined from birth with no exit.

FWIW whilst not a roylaist by the same token Ive no issue particularly with the concept as it stands in the UK.

However the REALLY important thing is JD's second line above.

I don't follow.

You have no particular issue with the concept but jackdaww's second line is REALLY important.

Care to expand?

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » January 13th, 2020, 1:11 pm

ie.

carry on with a royal family - ie keep kings and queens etc.

but the individuals shoud have an opt out clause.

currently they appear not to have one [ or rather it appears that many belive they shouldnt! ], and have no choice over their life that they are born into.

didds

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 13th, 2020, 1:19 pm

Or just stop being racist and nasty towards them, and they might not feel they need to "step back".

(Not directed at anyone here)

Scott.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » January 13th, 2020, 1:27 pm

So . . . broadly speaking.

Remainers think Harry & Meghan should be free to leave, no matter the financial and insitutional implications.

Leavers think they should remain and work out the issues.

Funny how things work out.

HYD

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » January 13th, 2020, 2:56 pm

Remainers think Harry & Meghan should be free to leave, no matter the financial and insitutional implications.

Presumably he'd lose his allowance. His property would revert to the crown. He's sixth in line so no real issue there. Sussex got on just fine before it had a duke and duchess presumably it'll cope without them now. So what you thinking of HYD?

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » January 13th, 2020, 3:03 pm

Leothebear wrote:

Presumably he'd lose his allowance. His property would revert to the crown. He's sixth in line so no real issue there. Sussex got on just fine before it had a duke and duchess presumably it'll cope without them now. So what you thinking of HYD?

Well I guess we'll see what is agreed in the family meeting this afternoon but certainly their statement last week made clear that they have no intention of giving up their money or property yet.

Only that they would 'work to become financially independent'.

Seems they have been working on that for some time now if the embarrassing video released yesterday of Harry trying to tout work for Meghan from Disney's CEO is anything to go by.

HYD

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » January 13th, 2020, 5:51 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:
Leothebear wrote:

Well I guess we'll see what is agreed in the family meeting this afternoon but certainly their statement last week made clear that they have no intention of giving up their money or property yet.

Seems they have been working on that for some time now if the embarrassing video released yesterday of Harry trying to tout work for Meghan from Disney's CEO is anything to go by.

HYD

But why is it embarrassing?

Exercise: Ask someone to do an internet search and read it to you without the adjectives. It sounds perfectly reasonable. The add back in the adjectives and you see how the press works.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/12 ... news-video

Note the use of capitals 'caught BEGGING', 'The shocking video', 'the couple spark outrage'.

What outrage? Who said it's shocking?

Just the crap press as usual telling the brain-dead what to think and how they should react.

Steve

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » January 13th, 2020, 6:30 pm

stevensfo wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:
Leothebear wrote:

HYD

But why is it embarrassing?

Exercise: Ask someone to do an internet search and read it to you without the adjectives. It sounds perfectly reasonable. The add back in the adjectives and you see how the press works.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/12 ... news-video

Note the use of capitals 'caught BEGGING', 'The shocking video', 'the couple spark outrage'.

What outrage? Who said it's shocking?

Just the crap press as usual telling the brain-dead what to think and how they should react.

Steve

You're kidding right? A member of the Royal family asking for favours from a wealthy American businessman (stop me if you've heard this before) is not embarrassing to you?

Well it's embarrassing to me.

HYD

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » January 13th, 2020, 7:11 pm

Embarrassing? Nope, not at all. That's business. She's done some acting, so why not?

Entertaining? A bit. Boring? Definitely. A story that the media have decided to milk for all it's worth.

Imagine another scenario. Harry & co. decide to go it alone, press agree, little comment. After all, he's a grandson of the Queen, not the heir or even the heir's son, and he has an american wife. If everyone else dies, then he can be recalled, but until then, why worry?

Steve

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » January 13th, 2020, 7:43 pm

stevensfo wrote:Embarrassing? Nope, not at all. That's business. She's done some acting, so why not?

Entertaining? A bit. Boring? Definitely. A story that the media have decided to milk for all it's worth.

Imagine another scenario. Harry & co. decide to go it alone, press agree, little comment. After all, he's a grandson of the Queen, not the heir or even the heir's son, and he has an american wife. If everyone else dies, then he can be recalled, but until then, why worry?

Steve

Iirc she is donating £100K to charity on the back of the Disney role. Does this represent all of her fee?

AiYn'U

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » January 13th, 2020, 7:57 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
stevensfo wrote:Embarrassing? Nope, not at all. That's business. She's done some acting, so why not?

Steve

Iirc she is donating £100K to charity on the back of the Disney role. Does this represent all of her fee?

AiYn'U

£100k? For a voiceover on a Disney film by a real life Princess? I think not.

HYD

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » January 15th, 2020, 10:43 am

The information I've gleaned on this topic has come from reading this thread, the BBC and the Guardian, so I may not be well-informed. I watched a debate about what happens next on Newsnight and was surprised at the views of their commentators that Meghan and Harry will have a new role.

Surely, Meghan has gone. Her son and her dogs are in Canada and she didn't take part in the Royal family conference. Will she ever come back to the UK? Possibly for a brief visit, but that will invite a lot of tabloid interest and may not be a pleasant experience? Once Harry goes to Canada, he is going to be "out of the loop" and will sideline himself, because it will not be logistically possible to keep up to date with current issues in Britain. I'd guess in that situation, the experience of coming back to the UK and being dismissed as a minor royal will not be enjoyable.

As for suing the tabloids, surely this is foolish. Will Meghan come back to the UK to give evidence in court about her and her father's affairs? Being cross-examined in public by a clever (and probably unpleasant) QC is not something one would wish on her. Won't the case be dropped? And the lawyers paid off?

Sadly, the couple, even if they both keep their titles, will be increasingly irrelevant, they won't have a role here, so they will continue to be multi-millionaire celebrities but not real "Royals".

regards

Howard

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » January 15th, 2020, 11:20 am

I am struggling to think of one way any of the royals impacts my life or that of my family in any meaningful way.

The only thing I have come up with is that they seem to take up an extraordinary amount of airtime that acts as a distraction from more important issues, some may view this as a good thing.

I have now wasted two minutes of my time on this.

John

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » January 15th, 2020, 11:43 am

redsturgeon wrote:I am struggling to think of one way any of the royals impacts my life or that of my family in any meaningful way.

The only thing I have come up with is that they seem to take up an extraordinary amount of airtime that acts as a distraction from more important issues, some may view this as a good thing.

I have now wasted two minutes of my time on this.

John

The way I see it, they have no direct impact, but I'm glad we have a monarchy.

It may not be perfect, but I dread to think what the alternative would be.

A Trumpesque figurehead?

And the prospect of even more elections every four or five years to elect a new one would certainly have a direct impact on my life, and not in a good way!

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » January 15th, 2020, 12:26 pm

I'm with staffordian. The thought of President Blair, President Boris or President Corbyn fills me with horror. As for M&H couldn't give a toss as long as I don't have to contribute to their upkeep.

R6

JoyofBricks8
2 Lemon pips

Postby JoyofBricks8 » January 15th, 2020, 12:58 pm

I am a staunch monarchist. The supreme power position in the land is kept out of the reach of politicians by the monarch. Meanwhile the monarchs theoretical power is equally unavailable to them because of the politicians fiercely guarding the constitutional settlement.

Although it appears odd and unworkable, in practice it is a neat arrangement that somewhat limits the degree of tyranny that can arise in the land.

That said: We have been watching the Royal Family get rolled over so easily by a certain actress on the make. It would only be natural for one to have misgivings about the resilience of the institution if such a crisis can be provoked so readily.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » January 15th, 2020, 1:23 pm

JoyofBricks8 wrote:That said: We have been watching the Royal Family get rolled over so easily by a certain actress on the make. It would only be natural for one to have misgivings about the resilience of the institution if such a crisis can be provoked so readily.

well lets face - historically the royal family/crown has been in turmoil "for ever" in reality. Its only in compartively recent times has it become a "settled" concept implying stability.

And that "stable" concept has arguably olnly been around since 1936 and George VI.

didds

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » January 15th, 2020, 1:34 pm

That said: We have been watching the Royal Family get rolled over so easily by a certain actress on the make.

Presumably you have proof of that assertion?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 15th, 2020, 1:40 pm

didds wrote:
JoyofBricks8 wrote:That said: We have been watching the Royal Family get rolled over so easily by a certain actress on the make. It would only be natural for one to have misgivings about the resilience of the institution if such a crisis can be provoked so readily.

well lets face - historically the royal family/crown has been in turmoil "for ever" in reality. Its only in compartively recent times has it become a "settled" concept implying stability.

And that "stable" concept has arguably olnly been around since 1936 and George VI.

didds

I think actually we have been extremely fortunate to have the stability from the very long reign of our current monarch and her particular character.

Every family will have a black sheep and the current Royal family are no different in that respect.

Dod

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”