Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Anthem and Scottish Indyref

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Anthem and Scottish Indyref

Postby stewamax » January 15th, 2020, 9:19 am

Given that Boris has again ruled out a second Scottish Indyref,it is high time he showed who is boss by reinstating the traditional verses 2 and 6 of the UK anthem:

O Lord our God arise,
Scatter our enemies,
And make them fall!
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On Thee our hopes we fix,
God save us all!

Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the Queen!

I don't know much about (Irishman) Marshal George Wade, but he was obviously the Right Sort of Chap.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Anthem and Scottish Indyref

Postby Dod101 » January 15th, 2020, 9:24 am

You mean he who was sent to build some roads in Scotland after the failed Jacobite Rebellion of 1715?

Some of the lines of his roads are still used as well as the splendid bridge over the River Tay at Aberfeldy.

Dod

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » January 15th, 2020, 10:11 am

Same chap.
He was also fired for being on the East Coast when the Jacobites of the '45 were marching down from Carlisle.
The Jacobites (my ancestors...) paid for this a year later when his replacement 'Butcher' Cumberland destroyed them.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 15th, 2020, 10:19 am

I am very happy to say that I have managed to find no affinity with the Jacobites. I think I would have been loyal to the Hanoverians.

However I like your revised National Anthem.

Dod

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » January 15th, 2020, 12:32 pm

Here in Wales we have idiots calling for independence. Thicker than mince they are, Wales would sink faster than a stone but still some idiots keep voting for them.
I have Scottish friends and their opinion of NS can't be repeated in polite society. Why do some people find it hard to accept votes that go against their perception of what is "right"?
I'd forgotton about the reference to the Scots in the National Anthem, should have googled if there was a reference to the Welsh but I doubt it ;)

R6

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 15th, 2020, 12:44 pm

Dod101 wrote:Some of the lines of his roads are still used as well as the splendid bridge over the River Tay at Aberfeldy.
Dod

Not by any chance one that will be remembered for a very long time?

Rhyd6 wrote:I'd forgotton about the reference to the Scots in the National Anthem, should have googled if there was a reference to the Welsh but I doubt it ;)

Hmmm. Given your country's choral prowess, shouldn't you be able to do rather better with a national anthem than gawdelpthe dirge?
Oh, wait, don't you have one that sounds rather like Cornwall's?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 15th, 2020, 4:48 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Dod101 wrote:Some of the lines of his roads are still used as well as the splendid bridge over the River Tay at Aberfeldy.
Dod

Rhyd6 wrote:I'd forgotton about the reference to the Scots in the National Anthem, should have googled if there was a reference to the Welsh but I doubt it ;)

Hmmm. Given your country's choral prowess, shouldn't you be able to do rather better with a national anthem than gawdelpthe dirge?
Oh, wait, don't you have one that sounds rather like Cornwall's?

Sorry UE. I do not 'get' your comment. The Aberfeldy Bridge, built in 1733, is certainly well known in Scotland I would think and it is very close to the spot where the Black Watch was raised in 1740 to try to keep the highlands under control.

None of this means that I am in any way sympathetic to the SNP I may say. One can be a patriot without being a nationalist, something the |SNP does not understand.

Dod

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » January 15th, 2020, 5:35 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:

Dod wrote:Sorry UE. I do not 'get' your comment. The Aberfeldy Bridge, built in 1733, is certainly well known in Scotland I would think

UE is referring to Scotland's Other Great Bard:

http://www.mcgonagall-online.org.uk/gem ... e-disaster

DM

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » January 15th, 2020, 9:43 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:Here in Wales we have idiots calling for independence. Thicker than mince they are, Wales would sink faster than a stone but still some idiots keep voting for them.
I have Scottish friends and their opinion of NS can't be repeated in polite society. Why do some people find it hard to accept votes that go against their perception of what is "right"?
I'd forgotton about the reference to the Scots in the National Anthem, should have googled if there was a reference to the Welsh but I doubt it ;)

R6

I know why BJ refused a 2nd IR. Beer. To be precise Yorkshire Ale :roll:

In the event that NS was given an IR and won, then, unbeknown to the rest of the UK, Yorkshire (with a population 25% larger than Scotland) was secretly arranging for a YR. And if we left all those taxes collected from the ale we sup would not be paid. Yorkshire - proud to pay our taxes :)

AiYn'U [hic]

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 15th, 2020, 9:59 pm

dionaeamuscipula wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:

Dod wrote:Sorry UE. I do not 'get' your comment. The Aberfeldy Bridge, built in 1733, is certainly well known in Scotland I would think

UE is referring to Scotland's Other Great Bard:

http://www.mcgonagall-online.org.uk/gem ... e-disaster

DM

Stupid me. 'The Tay the Tay the silvery Tay, it runs past Dundee twice a day.' And then of course the disaster in 1879 when the Railway bridge fell down. Well the Tay Bridge at Aberfeldy is still standing as far as I know although like Telford's bridge at Dunkeld is merely a road bridge and nothing like as long as the Tay Railway Bridge is.

How did we get on to this?

Dod

bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Postby bionichamster » January 15th, 2020, 10:35 pm

stewamax wrote:Given that Boris has again ruled out a second Scottish Indyref,it is high time he showed who is boss by reinstating the traditional verses 2 and 6 of the UK anthem:

------

I don't know much about (Irishman) Marshal George Wade, but he was obviously the Right Sort of Chap.

To be honest for the majority of us in Scotland who are happy to be part of the UK, this sort of comment is decidedly unhelpful, posting comments like that even if intended to be tongue in cheek just feeds the separatists and gives them ammunition in their aim of breaking up the UK, unless that's your intention of course.

BH

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 15th, 2020, 11:00 pm

What gets in to people? I doubt that any of this thread was ever meant to be political. Take it as a bit of fun.

Dod

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » January 16th, 2020, 9:21 am

Dod101 wrote:What gets in to people? I doubt that any of this thread was ever meant to be political. Take it as a bit of fun.

Dod

I get the feeling that fun and separatists are mutually exclusive ;)

--kiloran

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » January 16th, 2020, 11:17 am

bionichamster wrote:[... this sort of comment is decidedly unhelpful, posting comments like that even if intended to be tongue in cheek just feeds the separatists and gives them ammunition in their aim of breaking up the UK, unless that's your intention of course.

Ahhh....
Some years ago I provoked a lively series of followup letters in the Telegraph by opining that the UK anthem had a tedious and dreary tune and banal lyrics. I compared it unfavourably with Wales' magnificent anthem (with its apposite extolling of the language, countryside, poets and singers, warriors and famous men, and with its memorable rousing tune) and even the somewhat bloodthirsty Marseillaise. I even contrasted it unfavourably with the EU anthem (with tune based on Beethoven's 9th and lyrics from Schiller's Ode to Joy)

My comments were written tongue n cheek (as befits the Telegraph's house style, and in particular its Obits page), but I believe it was Count Nikolai Tolstoy who took my musings to heart and marked me as anti-patriotic and anti-monarchist (neither of which I am).

NB: This sub-forum is the Snug where humour is permitted.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 16th, 2020, 11:53 am

BTW, I meant to say that Wade was in fact a Lieutenant General. He was never as far as I know ever referred to as a Marshall.

And I agree with Stewamax re the British National Anthem.

Dod

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » January 16th, 2020, 12:07 pm

Dod101 wrote:You mean he who was sent to build some roads in Scotland after the failed Jacobite Rebellion of 1715?

Some of the lines of his roads are still used as well as the splendid bridge over the River Tay at Aberfeldy.

Dod

I walked the Rob Roy Way last year, Drymen to Pitlochry, and saw evidence of General Wade's Military Roads at several places along the route. Ignoring for a second the bridges, spectacular that they are, the sections of exposed roads running across the wild moors outside Amulree close to the village hall, with explanatory graphical boards showing their construction, are quite amazing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_milit ... f_Scotland

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 16th, 2020, 12:14 pm

BrummieDave wrote:
Dod101 wrote:You mean he who was sent to build some roads in Scotland after the failed Jacobite Rebellion of 1715?

Dod

I walked the Rob Roy Way last year, Drymen to Pitlochry, and saw evidence of General Wade's Military Roads at several places along the route. Ignoring for a second the bridges, spectacular that they are, the sections of exposed roads running across the wild moors outside Amulree close to the village hall, with explanatory graphical boards showing their construction, are quite amazing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_milit ... f_Scotland

Yes his road from Crieff to Dalnacardoch (where it hits the modern A9) is often cited as a very good example of General Wade's roads. I know the stretch quite well, living not too far from there.

Dod

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » January 16th, 2020, 2:35 pm

"Had you seen these roads before they were made
you would lift up your hands and bless General Wade"
Verse attributed to Major Caulfeild who continued Wade's task of building roads in the Scottish Highlands.
Probably the most attractive of Wade's bridges - which is still in use - is the bridge over the Tay at Aberfeldy (as mentioned by Dod)

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » January 16th, 2020, 5:37 pm

Indeed a simple and well-proportioned bridge.
From the photo it is unclear whether the finials above the two main piers are just for decoration or to add mass (cf. the conical or pyramidal pinnacle on a flying buttress which gives structural mass and is not just for elegance).
I could even imagine a Telford or a Brunel running suspension wires from the finials to the centre of the main arch and embedding the other ends in the two outer piers!

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”