Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Facebook blames 'technical error'

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Facebook blames 'technical error'

Postby ReformedCharacter » January 19th, 2020, 10:54 am

Facebook has blamed a technical error for Chinese leader Xi Jinping’s name appearing as “Mr Shithole” in posts on its platform when translated into English from Burmese, apologising for any offence caused and saying the problem had been fixed.

A statement about the visit published on Suu Kyi’s official Facebook page was littered with references to “Mr Shithole” when translated to English, while a headline in local news journal the Irrawaddy appeared as “Dinner honors president shithole”.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... r-shithole

A 'technical error' of course :lol:

RC

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Re: Facebook blames 'technical error'

Postby Leothebear » January 19th, 2020, 3:16 pm

Faceache is banned in China anyway, so he'll never see it.

Quite rightly so.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 19th, 2020, 10:23 pm

Leothebear wrote:
Faceache is banned in China anyway, so he'll never see it.

Quite rightly so.

Probably for the best given how upset he got about Winnie the Pooh

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » January 19th, 2020, 10:34 pm

Snorvey wrote:Faceache is banned in China anyway, so he'll never see it.

It's banned for the proletariat but you can bet his apparatchiks have access and keep a close eye out for anything and everything said about him, the party and the country on it, and will report items of "interest" to him.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » January 21st, 2020, 9:55 pm

Facebook has ben banned in a couple of countries I've lived too, but 'as enny fool knowz' you simply use a VPN/DNS proxy to get around it. And in the kind of countries that ban FB, they also ban plenty else, and anyone else AT ALL tech savvie has a VPN/DNS substitute in place. Simple.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » January 21st, 2020, 10:31 pm

Snorvey wrote:Faceache is banned in China anyway, so he'll never see it.

I'm sorry but I was lead to believe China was a backward regime and incapable of logical process :roll:

AiYn'U

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » January 22nd, 2020, 9:38 am

DiamondEcho wrote:Facebook has ben banned in a couple of countries I've lived too, but 'as enny fool knowz' you simply use a VPN/DNS proxy to get around it. And in the kind of countries that ban FB, they also ban plenty else, and anyone else AT ALL tech savvie has a VPN/DNS substitute in place. Simple.

Which VPN is currently usable and has not yet been shut down by the government is a frequent topic of dinner table conversation amongst the slightly dwindling band of ex-pats in Beijing. There seems to be a tacit acceptance of them for a while then there is a crackdown.

But my phone has wechat on it because whatsapp is tricky, and we just accept that we never ever say anything that might be construed as criticism of the Chinese government.

DM

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 22nd, 2020, 10:03 am

dionaeamuscipula wrote:
DiamondEcho wrote:Facebook has ben banned in a couple of countries I've lived too, but 'as enny fool knowz' you simply use a VPN/DNS proxy to get around it. And in the kind of countries that ban FB, they also ban plenty else, and anyone else AT ALL tech savvie has a VPN/DNS substitute in place. Simple.

Which VPN is currently usable and has not yet been shut down by the government is a frequent topic of dinner table conversation amongst the slightly dwindling band of ex-pats in Beijing. There seems to be a tacit acceptance of them for a while then there is a crackdown.

But my phone has wechat on it because whatsapp is tricky, and we just accept that we never ever say anything that might be construed as criticism of the Chinese government.

DM

Never had a problem with obfuscated servers on NordVPN (which isn't the default setting in it)
- but that's mostly been in Shenzen and surrounds

It used to be a case of just knowing your IPv4 address and bypassing DNS but they've got smart!

WeChat feels like paying through a .ru website with a credit card!
And my MiFit keeps suggesting AliPay.. I'll pass.

-sd

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”