Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Coronavirus - General Chat - No statistics

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Coronavirus - General Chat - No statistics

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 4th, 2020, 2:12 am

redsturgeon wrote:Apparently it was an angry phone call from Macron that finally put a rocket up Boris Johnson to do something!
John

When would that be? Macron hasn't entirely covered himself in glory, either. Perhaps Merkel's scientific background was the key to successful leadership?

The sequence of events here was that hints of lockdown became more-or-less a promise, but then another week or two before actual lockdown. That gave time for organisers of events, like the three concerts I should've performed in between lockdown and now, to cancel with no recourse (despite my urging them to stare down the government and wait to be ordered). If they'd been ordered by government to cancel, that would've been an insurance claim against any losses incurred.

So naturally, I thought it was for the benefit of the insurance industry.

But I recently read that Carrie had a baby shower during that phoney pre-lockdown. Maybe the need to keep that legal was a stronger reason?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 4th, 2020, 8:08 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:Apparently it was an angry phone call from Macron that finally put a rocket up Boris Johnson to do something!
John

When would that be? Macron hasn't entirely covered himself in glory, either. Perhaps Merkel's scientific background was the key to successful leadership?

I recommend you watch the programme, I did not take notes so I can't remember the exact sequence stated but I think it was the Thursday or Friday before the Monday lock down.

As for Macron not covering himself in glory, maybe not but compared to the UK, I would have preferred France's 10,000 fewer deaths, and their current few hundred new cases per day rather than our few thousand. The UK could so easily have been in a similar position.

The list of incompetence described yesterday on the TV, first in the Dispatches programme and next on Newsnight specifically regarding our care home response was unprecedented in my lifetime.

John

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 4th, 2020, 8:28 am

redsturgeon wrote:
swill453 wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:He showed me his certificate of a positive antibody test (lab test) for covid 19. He had caught it from his sister in law in the week before the lock down in London. She had caught it from a friend playing table tennis...he was a 61 year old man who subsequently died.

Can anybody be as certain as that as to where they caught it?

Scott.

Never certain but if the only time you have been out and in contact with anyone outside of your house has been for a table tennis game and the guy you played actually dies from Covid 19 then I think it is a fair assumption outside of a court of law.

Let's just say she thinks she caught it from that guy.

John

Transmission of C-19 seems to be about as haphazard as the common cold, i.e. one can sometimes seem to get a cold out of nowhere, and at other times close contact with someone with a cold results in no cold oneself.

So in addition to good public health practise, it seems luck plays a major part.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 4th, 2020, 8:49 am

redsturgeon wrote:I recommend you watch the programme,
John

No telly here. As for watching online, that's a grey area I avoid re: TV licence.

Mike4 wrote:Transmission of C-19 seems to be about as haphazard as the common cold, i.e. one can sometimes seem to get a cold out of nowhere, and at other times close contact with someone with a cold results in no cold oneself.

Common cold is a generic description of a lot of different lurgies. Earlier generations might've just said there was a particularly nasty cold "doing the rounds".

Back in the early days of this lurgy, I ventured to hope re: common cold and lurgies in general that

https://bahumbug.wordpress.com/2020/03/12/unclean/ wrote:Coronavirus could leave a really good legacy if knowingly spreading germs could become as socially unacceptable as smoking.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 4th, 2020, 11:10 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:I recommend you watch the programme,
John

No telly here. As for watching online, that's a grey area I avoid re: TV licence.

OK.

Here is a small quite amusing clip from it I found on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NfjqIB3wZo

Is it even a grey area though if you wish to watch a c4 programme on All4?

John

zico
Lemon Quarter

Postby zico » June 4th, 2020, 11:41 am

redsturgeon wrote:
I recommend you watch the programme, I did not take notes so I can't remember the exact sequence stated but I think it was the Thursday or Friday before the Monday lock down.

John

Dispatches reported that Macron contacted Johnson on the Friday morning and later that same day (about 5.30pm) Johnson ordered pubs, clubs and restaurants to close as soon as they reasonably could. At the time, I remembered that early Friday evening seemed a very strange time to announce such a measure.

sunnyjoe
Lemon Slice

Postby sunnyjoe » June 4th, 2020, 12:40 pm

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/con ... han-a-cure

We have been told by the Government that an effective test, track and trace programme is the key to ‘controlling’ Covid-19, allowing us to further unlock the country and take the economy out of its induced coma. The effectiveness of contact tracing depends on wide ranging factors including how many people have the virus but don’t show symptoms, the accuracy and speed of testing, levels of surveillance, the number of people that come into contact with an infected person and how many people comply with requests to self-isolate. Unfortunately for the Government the odds are not in their favour with Covid-19.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » June 4th, 2020, 12:42 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:No telly here. As for watching online, that's a grey area I avoid re: TV licence.

You can watch it without a licence:
You don’t need a licence if you only ever watch on demand or catch up programmes on services other than BBC iPlayer (and you also never watch live TV programmes on any channel, including on iPlayer).

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ8

Julian F. G. W.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » June 4th, 2020, 12:47 pm

Coronavirus thread- please don't start a new one here on Beerpig's Snug

I seem to be reading so much here at Beerpig's that is a near repeat of what appears at Coronavirus thread- please don't start a new one here on PD and vice versa.

Often with the same posters regularly contributing to both topics on the same day or even in the same hour.

It is hard to remember which of the two boards is the one for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion, especially when both topic headers start with the same 10 words.

I do wonder if others notice where they are.

PD

Moderator Message:
Fixed that for you

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 4th, 2020, 12:55 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Mike4 wrote:Transmission of C-19 seems to be about as haphazard as the common cold, i.e. one can sometimes seem to get a cold out of nowhere, and at other times close contact with someone with a cold results in no cold oneself.

Common cold is a generic description of a lot of different lurgies. Earlier generations might've just said there was a particularly nasty cold "doing the rounds".

Back in the early days of this lurgy, I ventured to hope re: common cold and lurgies in general that

https://bahumbug.wordpress.com/2020/03/12/unclean/ wrote:Coronavirus could leave a really good legacy if knowingly spreading germs could become as socially unacceptable as smoking.

Yes the common cold is a variety of bugs and about 50% of them are corona viruses (other than SARS-CoV-2) IIRC, hence the hypothesis catching COVID-19 might be as haphazard as catching a cold.

And yes totally agree with you about the possibility of a legacy of raised public consciouness about not spreading your germs about. Wearing a mask when you are ill ought to be common decency if amongst other people. Is already in Japan I think....

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » June 4th, 2020, 4:31 pm

PinkDalek wrote:Coronavirus thread- please don't start a new one here on Beerpig's Snug

I seem to be reading so much here at Beerpig's that is a near repeat of what appears at Coronavirus thread- please don't start a new one here on PD and vice versa.

Often with the same posters regularly contributing to both topics on the same day or even in the same hour.

It is hard to remember which of the two boards is the one for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion, especially when both topic headers start with the same 10 words.

I do wonder if others notice where they are.

PD

Moderator Message:
Fixed that for you

Thank you!

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 5th, 2020, 7:23 am

Mike4 wrote:Wearing a mask when you are ill ought to be common decency if amongst other people.

Sounds like it's been mandated for public transport in England? starting in a couple of weeks
- sorry not masks, "face coverings"
No confirmation yet of what happens if you forget yours;
there might be a big bucket of manky masks?
or you might have to travel in your pants?

-sd

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 5th, 2020, 10:15 am

servodude wrote:
Mike4 wrote:Wearing a mask when you are ill ought to be common decency if amongst other people.

Sounds like it's been mandated for public transport in England? starting in a couple of weeks
- sorry not masks, "face coverings"
No confirmation yet of what happens if you forget yours;
there might be a big bucket of manky masks?
or you might have to travel in your pants?

-sd

Social pressure. Can you imagine getting on a crowded train and being the only one with no mask? I mean face covering.

It would be worse than those dreams when you're sitting at your desk in your office and you suddenly realise you've forgotten to put your trousers on!

(Or the less severe one I still get sometimes, where I dream I'm in my best suit at some posh event then realise I'm still wearing my comfy slippers.)

Wuffle
Lemon Slice

Postby Wuffle » June 5th, 2020, 10:37 am

11 million people in uk are deaf or hard of hearing, my mom being one.
Panacea you say....

W.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 5th, 2020, 10:41 am

Mike4 wrote:I dream I'm in my best suit at some posh event then realise I'm still wearing my comfy slippers

It's always bare feet or just socks for me!
Haven't had one of those for a while; but they always stick with me.

Funny things dreams!
I got the cold shoulder for half the day once; till the better half confessed that I'd been "mean to her in her dream" the night before, and she hadn't forgiven me yet. :roll:

-sd

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 5th, 2020, 11:17 am

Mike4 wrote:Social pressure. Can you imagine getting on a crowded train and being the only one with no mask? I mean face covering.

And the reason for no mask, 'cos you have a chronic condition that causes you to cough - and would be made much, much worse by covering the face and restricting the free flow of air.

Yes, that's real life. And not unforeseen ...

https://bahumbug.wordpress.com/2020/03/12/unclean/ wrote:Meanwhile there’s a more immediate concern: how will attitudes be towards a regular cough, sneeze, or sniffle? Will sufferers from chronic symptoms – the cough or sniffle that’s been with them for years – suddenly face ostracisism? And the hay-fever season is approaching!

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » June 5th, 2020, 11:31 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
And the reason for no mask, 'cos you have a chronic condition that causes you to cough - and would be made much, much worse by covering the face and restricting the free flow of air.

Yes, that's real life. And not unforeseen ...

https://bahumbug.wordpress.com/2020/03/12/unclean/ wrote:Meanwhile there’s a more immediate concern: how will attitudes be towards a regular cough, sneeze, or sniffle? Will sufferers from chronic symptoms – the cough or sniffle that’s been with them for years – suddenly face ostracisism? And the hay-fever season is approaching!

It wouldn't surprise me if there are objections to face coverings. Any change always brings out the loony fringe with a host of ridiculous excuses not to do something.

I'd love to know how a loose scarf restricts someones air-flow! You only need to look at what is done in most Asian countries to dismiss all these so called concerns.

BoE

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 5th, 2020, 11:58 am

Bubblesofearth wrote:
I'd love to know how a loose scarf restricts someones air-flow! You only need to look at what is done in most Asian countries to dismiss all these so called concerns.
BoE

Have a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piCWFgwysu0

It's hard to imagine a loose scarf NOT making a difference.

I do hope no-one starts off on the track of "Masks worn in public are not 100% effective, so nobody should have to wear them because sometimes they have no effect. " it's a curiously British sort of flawed logic.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 5th, 2020, 12:01 pm

Mike4 wrote:
Bubblesofearth wrote:
BoE

Have a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piCWFgwysu0

It's hard to imagine a loose scarf NOT making a difference.

I do hope no-one starts off on the track of "Masks worn in public are not 100% effective, so nobody should have to wear them because sometimes they have no effect. " it's a curiously British sort of flawed logic.

Masks!? I ask you, what's next?
One glove and a red leather jacket! And look where that leads!!!

-sd

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 5th, 2020, 12:13 pm

Bubblesofearth wrote:It wouldn't surprise me if there are objections to face coverings. Any change always brings out the loony fringe with a host of ridiculous excuses not to do something.

Ah, the voice of the authoritarian state. Your narrow-minded prejudices don't make it ridiculous.

I'd love to know how a loose scarf restricts someones air-flow!

I expect you're one of those people who routinely closes windows for at least half the year.

You only need to look at what is done in most Asian countries to dismiss all these so called concerns.
BoE

What asian countries? Certainly none I've been in. And I don't think I've ever seen a face-covering in any of the pics of the Asian branch of my family, any more than in the white European side.

Are you perhaps thinking of the nonsense inflicted on women in some religious cultures? Of course, the victims of that - those for whom it causes a real problem - are invisible. If they can't opt out of the cultural policy then they're just stuck at home.

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”