Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Coronavirus - General Chat - No statistics

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Re: Coronavirus - General Chat - No statistics

Postby stewamax » March 26th, 2020, 2:32 pm

Snorvey wrote:So I ordered a Chinese Takeaway for delivery last night.
They must be short staffed because it was actually the owner that came around with it. Anyway, I know him and walked out of the house to meet him.
......Well he went crazy and started shouting 'Isolate! Isolate!'
I said mate, calm down. You're not late. I only ordered it 15 minutes ago.

:lol:

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 26th, 2020, 2:42 pm

Snorvey wrote:So I ordered a Chinese Takeaway for delivery last night.

......Well he went crazy and started shouting 'Isolate! Isolate!'

I hope you'll tell him it tasted really rubbery?

BJ

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » March 26th, 2020, 3:14 pm

For those who are sick of hearing about C-19 on the telly.....

Fim on ITV2 9pm tonight: Contagion
SUMMARY
A deadly virus sweeps across the globe, and an international team of scientists struggles to both find a vaccine and prevent the disease spreading further.
:(

--kiloran

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 26th, 2020, 3:30 pm

Perhaps the BBC will re-run 'Survivors' from 1975 (used to scare me)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH6us7DLaRk

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 26th, 2020, 4:04 pm

kiloran wrote:For those who are sick of hearing about C-19 on the telly.....

Fim on ITV2 9pm tonight: Contagion
SUMMARY
A deadly virus sweeps across the globe, and an international team of scientists struggles to both find a vaccine and prevent the disease spreading further.

Ha, watched it at the weekend, just to see how bad things might get :-)

Who knew "social distancing" was a thing in 2011? And probably long before that, to those in the know.

Scott.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » March 26th, 2020, 4:12 pm

I've had enough scares for one day, thanks. I was just about to take my coffee and newspaper into the conservatory after my solitary lunch when I heard a noise like a gunshot and went outside to see what it might have been. Couldn't see anything but as I walked back through the conservatory one of the inside roof panes started to crumble and fall out, making a noise like rushing water, just where I would have been sitting, mostly caught by the blind but some would have definitely hit me. The outside pane seems to be intact. Just how weird is that? Can anyone explain?

Needless to say, I am getting no response to my phone calls to the glaziers, even their personal mobiles, and am wondering how long the blind will hold up before collapsing under the weight. I expect it will wait till I start trying to get the splinters off the sofa and floor underneath. I did try the Fire Station thinking they might be 'reaching out' as are some other organisations but no joy there. Apparently they are on lock down too so make sure you don't set fire to your house.

There will be countless stories about unforeseen consequences of this pandemic. I hope some of them will appear here to entertain us. Now where did I put my dustpan and brush. CRASH!

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 26th, 2020, 4:26 pm

Don't get under a hanging sheet of glass. :shock: The rest of it might come down at any moment, or the blind might give way, and then there'll be more splinters, and some of them will be in you. Get out of the room, shut the door and stay out.

That'll be a start.....

Phew. Your household insurance company should be able to point you in the right direction. They're used to this sort of situation, though it may take a couple of days to get an assessor in. Be safe.

BJ

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Conservatory glass

Postby bungeejumper » March 26th, 2020, 5:38 pm

Okay, a bit more about this exploding glass business. It's rare but far from unknown, and it may have been caused by a manufacturing fault, but then again it may not. Either way, your insurance company is there to join up the dots so that you don't have to.

As https://www.windowsonlineuk.co.uk/blog/ ... ing-crack/ shows, your window might be made of tempered safety glass, which would break into small cubes but could still ruin your day (and your sofa, and your knees). Then again, it might be the properly splintery stuff which will leave no doubt!

How old is the conservatory? It's common for sealed glazing units to be guaranteed for ten years, but that won't help either if the manufacturer has gone out of business. I'd be inclined to leave the whole business to your insurer, including the clean-up. Good luck.

BJ

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » March 26th, 2020, 5:42 pm

Italy have another day under their belt where their 'Daily new cases' figure, and also the 'Daily new deaths', are still below the peak figures seen on March 21st, eight days following the start of the Italy lock-down on March 13th -

Daily new cases -

March 21st (current peak) - 6557
March 22nd - 5560
March 23rd - 4789
March 24th - 5249
March 25th - 5210
March 26th - 6153

Daily new deaths -

March 21st (current peak) - 793
March 22nd - 651
March 23rd - 601
March 24th - 743
March 25th - 683
March 26th - 662

Source - https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

That could be encouraging news for the UK, especially given that the early signs are that Spain might also be following a similar 8-day 'post-lockdown' trajectory (March 24th/25th peak - https://tinyurl.com/s9xptnc).

Note that the latest figures for Spain for today (March 26th) are on the above link at the bottom of the page, but have not yet been incorporated into the two graphs. They do, however, both come in lower than the March 24th/25th peaks figures...

Our first full day of UK lock-down was Tuesday 24th of march, so eight days from there will be around the 1st of April. It'll be interesting to see if the UK post-lockdown trajectory follows a similar '8-day-peak' path - https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Re: Conservatory glass

Postby Bouleversee » March 26th, 2020, 6:50 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Okay, a bit more about this exploding glass business. It's rare but far from unknown, and it may have been caused by a manufacturing fault, but then again it may not. Either way, your insurance company is there to join up the dots so that you don't have to.

As https://www.windowsonlineuk.co.uk/blog/ ... ing-crack/ shows, your window might be made of tempered safety glass, which would break into small cubes but could still ruin your day (and your sofa, and your knees). Then again, it might be the properly splintery stuff which will leave no doubt!

How old is the conservatory? It's common for sealed glazing units to be guaranteed for ten years, but that won't help either if the manufacturer has gone out of business. I'd be inclined to leave the whole business to your insurer, including the clean-up. Good luck.

BJ

It was here when I moved in in May 2008 and I presume quite a bit before. It did break up into irregularly shaped bits, sometimes joined to bigger bits and is quite thick unlike normal glass splinters. I don't think it has caused any damage so far. I am going to carefully remove the pieces on the sofa and put a dust sheet over it and clear up the bits on the window sills and floor and will ring the insurance company tomorrow. I have taken photos but perhaps I should ring the ins. co. first, but will they be working and responding. I'll throw over a clean dust sheet in case the blind gives way. I think there are a couple of spare units in the garage but it might not be worth using them as they will be just as old. I wonder if one can still buy units that would match the others. Now you know why I rarely switch my investments; there is always something else more urgent to deal with.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » March 26th, 2020, 6:58 pm

Snorvey wrote:

Speaking of food issues during lockdown, it seems that things are finally beginning to hit home for poor young Layla....

https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mo ... 301334.mp4

Source - https://tinyurl.com/yx6qp5zd

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

zico
Lemon Quarter

Postby zico » March 26th, 2020, 7:07 pm

Went to my chemist's today to be faced with a road traffic barrier blocking the door, a billboard saying "Don't enter the shop" and a notice on the door saying "Don't enter the shop. Knock and wait". The pharmacist told me a lady had physically moved the traffic barrier to get into the shop - for the vital mission of buying nail polish remover!

On a more sober note today, a couple (who are friends of ours) have contracted the virus. I was talking to them on Monday outside a shop for 1-2 minutes (keeping slightly more than the required 2 metres away) so hopefully am unlikely to have caught it.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 26th, 2020, 7:55 pm

zico wrote:Went to my chemist's today to be faced with a road traffic barrier blocking the door, a billboard saying "Don't enter the shop" and a notice on the door saying "Don't enter the shop. Knock and wait".

Tried Morrisons today, they were like that. So I went next door to Lidl instead. Still no pasta anywhere, and my breakfast cereal is running short :evil:
On a more sober note today, a couple (who are friends of ours) have contracted the virus. I was talking to them on Monday outside a shop for 1-2 minutes (keeping slightly more than the required 2 metres away) so hopefully am unlikely to have caught it.

<Private Fraser> You're doomed. You're doooomed!

On a serious note, how do you know your friends have it? I thought testing had virtually ceased, unless they were hospitalised with it?

zico
Lemon Quarter

Postby zico » March 26th, 2020, 8:24 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
On a serious note, how do you know your friends have it? I thought testing had virtually ceased, unless they were hospitalised with it?

They've got the classic symptoms - persistent cough & high temperature, but no runny nose.

JamesMuenchen
Lemon Slice

Postby JamesMuenchen » March 26th, 2020, 8:29 pm

zico wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:

They've got the classic symptoms - persistent cough & high temperature, but no runny nose.

I had all the cvid-19 symptoms in September.

Had some tests done (whooping cough, etc) but all -ve. So, cause unknown.

They are very common symptoms.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 26th, 2020, 9:40 pm

The USA now has the most confirmed cases of Covid 19 in the world...it just overtook China!

John

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » March 26th, 2020, 9:55 pm

Bouleversee wrote:I've had enough scares for one day, thanks. I was just about to take my coffee and newspaper into the conservatory after my solitary lunch when I heard a noise like a gunshot and went outside to see what it might have been. Couldn't see anything but as I walked back through the conservatory one of the inside roof panes started to crumble and fall out, making a noise like rushing water, just where I would have been sitting, mostly caught by the blind but some would have definitely hit me. The outside pane seems to be intact. Just how weird is that? Can anyone explain?

Is it a Velux window? We had this happen last year with a Velux in one of our bathrooms. There is a known manufacturing fault with windows of certain widths that were fitted several years ago. See https://velux-pw.velux.co.uk/ for details. You should be able to get a free replacement fitted by Velux without using your home insurance.

All the best, Si

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » March 26th, 2020, 10:18 pm

simoan wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:I've had enough scares for one day, thanks. I was just about to take my coffee and newspaper into the conservatory after my solitary lunch when I heard a noise like a gunshot and went outside to see what it might have been. Couldn't see anything but as I walked back through the conservatory one of the inside roof panes started to crumble and fall out, making a noise like rushing water, just where I would have been sitting, mostly caught by the blind but some would have definitely hit me. The outside pane seems to be intact. Just how weird is that? Can anyone explain?

Is it a Velux window? We had this happen last year with a Velux in one of our bathrooms. There is a known manufacturing fault with windows of certain widths that were fitted several years ago. See https://velux-pw.velux.co.uk/ for details. You should be able to get a free replacement fitted by Velux without using your home insurance.

All the best, Si

I dont know what make it is but probably not a Velux. Thanks anyway.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 27th, 2020, 8:15 am

I had a note yesterday that our test kits have been dispatched. I will let you know when we get them how things go with the first few tests. Could be interesting.

John

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 27th, 2020, 8:35 am

redsturgeon wrote:The USA now has the most confirmed cases of Covid 19 in the world...it just overtook China!

And meanwhile the epidemiological finger of blame is now pointing at the pangolin. Widely trafficked, widely eaten in China, widely used in Chinese medicine. And, according to Chinese scientists, it's been found to carry a CV19-like virus strain which it probably caught from bats.

Poor old pangolins. You get bitten, then you get kidnapped, then you get eaten, and then you get blamed for everything. :(

BJ

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”