Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Senior isolation

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
sg31
Lemon Quarter

Re: Senior isolation

Postby sg31 » March 21st, 2020, 10:19 pm

gryffron wrote:
richfool wrote:How do we get people to take the situation and the need for social distancing seriously?

Just cough loudly.

:twisted:

Take a 2 metre length of wood with you and push people away if they get too close. If they persist, hit them with it. :D

(only joking.)

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 21st, 2020, 10:42 pm

richfool wrote:I would have thought it sensible for cashiers and the like to wear face masks (but guess there aren't any available and it might panic others if they did). I try and keep a distance, but others seem oblivious.

If it panics others - or makes them take things more seriously - I would have thought that a good outcome.

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 21st, 2020, 10:50 pm

vagrantbrain wrote:I'm not sure how they are being irresponsible. The only stronger thing they can do is to is to physically lock people in their houses which would cause mass panic and completely destroy the economy, possibly permanently.

I don't think irresponsible is quite the right word, but too slow to act? certainly. And there is more they can do to encourage people to stay indoors - not allow people out without good reason, on pain of a fine. It is happening in other countries - why not here?

After all Boris's government wanted to take back control :lol:

Arb.

zico
Lemon Quarter

Postby zico » March 22nd, 2020, 12:16 am

richfool wrote:How do we get people to take the situation and the need for social distancing seriously? When I have gone into shops & supermarkets, people don't keep any distance from me, quite the opposite, crowding up close to reach things. Then the same at checkouts. I would have thought it sensible for cashiers and the like to wear face masks (but guess there aren't any available and it might panic others if they did). I try and keep a distance, but others seem oblivious.

You can't fix stupid. The only solution is to keep away from crowds of people. One way is to go to expensive shops like Waitrose.
Incidentally, the story is emerging that petrol pump handles are a good place to catch Covid-19, so best to use a tissue to hold the pump.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 22nd, 2020, 6:32 am

zico wrote:
richfool wrote:How do we get people to take the situation and the need for social distancing seriously? When I have gone into shops & supermarkets, people don't keep any distance from me, quite the opposite, crowding up close to reach things. Then the same at checkouts. I would have thought it sensible for cashiers and the like to wear face masks (but guess there aren't any available and it might panic others if they did). I try and keep a distance, but others seem oblivious.

You can't fix stupid. The only solution is to keep away from crowds of people. One way is to go to expensive shops like Waitrose.
Incidentally, the story is emerging that petrol pump handles are a good place to catch Covid-19, so best to use a tissue to hold the pump.

Why not use the gloves provided?

John

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 22nd, 2020, 6:52 am

zico wrote:

I entirely agree about petrol pumps. That struck me last time I was going to refuel so I carry latex gloves with me to use in that situation. and then throw them away after use. Not that I do much driving these days.

Dod

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » March 22nd, 2020, 7:17 am

redsturgeon wrote:
zico wrote:

John

Why not wash your hands when done. Or even better give the pump handle a wipe with a soapy cloth after use.

GS

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 22nd, 2020, 7:24 am

GoSeigen wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:
zico wrote:

John

Why not wash your hands when done. Or even better give the pump handle a wipe with a soapy cloth after use.

GS

Not all petrol stations have washing facilities.

John

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 22nd, 2020, 7:29 am

I think the other place to pick up the virus would surely be keypads whether at an ATM or paying in a shop. I try to keep my purchases under £30 so I can use contactless.

Incidentally on the idea of washing the petrol pump after use, the logistics of that make it a non starter.

Dod

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 22nd, 2020, 7:50 am

zico wrote:You can't fix stupid. The only solution is to keep away from crowds of people. One way is to go to expensive shops like Waitrose.

Waitrose is busy too, so that won't work. Last time in Marks there was a decent amount of room.

Using self checkouts helps. Maybe the only answer is literally to stay at home and order online, though I understand you may have a three week wait and only partial delivery.

Judging by the lack of queues in shops where I am in Sussex, and the fact I do not see trolleys piled high, I wonder where all the goods are? Could it just be that other districts have a greater problem than ours and supplies are diverted, or is the public being blamed for difficulties in the delivery somewhere?
I notice the wording last night from a retail spokesperson - that there is plenty in the supply chain, the difficulty was in delivery of it.

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 22nd, 2020, 7:57 am

Dod101 wrote:I think the other place to pick up the virus would surely be keypads whether at an ATM or paying in a shop. I try to keep my purchases under £30 so I can use contactless.

Incidentally on the idea of washing the petrol pump after use, the logistics of that make it a non starter.

Dod

How about gloves + wiping ones steering wheel with a wipe. If all the wipes are gone, a kitchen towel liberally does with white vinegar might do it. I've found vinegar doesn't harm my phone screen so that gets a wipe if I've been out.

A friend of mine has been "grounded" by his son, who delivers supplies to his door. He then wipes the whole lot down with antiseptic wipes.

I mentioned internet shopping to my wife and she just snorted: she's convinced the risks are low and the whole thing is just over-hyped. I believe this is an illusion caused by moving out of London into West Sussex. Yes, it does seem more remote, but there are still cases close by, and people still travelling in and out of the village.

I'm not sure what to do about tradesmen. I have work that needs doing as we have just moved in, but perhaps I need to put it all off for three months.

Sorry, this post drifted OT, being a compendium of recent thoughts!

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » March 22nd, 2020, 8:01 am

Dod101 wrote:Incidentally on the idea of washing the petrol pump [GS: r. pump handle] after use, the logistics of that make it a non starter.

Maybe I'm a bit thick but how so? Our local station has a bucket of soapy water right there to wash hands, how hard is it to use that to wipe the handle? If there's no soap/water then instruct the management to provide them or you'll buy your petrol somewhere safer. It's the kind of quick and selfless action which helps make the world a better place, like taking your litter home with you...

GS
Who yesterday spent an hour clearing up litter strewn around outside our gate.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 22nd, 2020, 8:06 am

GoSeigen wrote:
Dod101 wrote:Incidentally on the idea of washing the petrol pump [GS: r. pump handle] after use, the logistics of that make it a non starter.

Maybe I'm a bit thick but how so? Our local station has a bucket of soapy water right there to wash hands, how hard is it to use that to wipe the handle? If there's no soap/water then instruct the management to provide them or you'll buy your petrol somewhere safer. It's the kind of quick and selfless action which helps make the world a better place, like taking your litter home with you...

GS

I am not suggesting you are in the least thick but I have never been to a petrol station with a bucket of soapy water at the pumps. If you have that what else is it for anyway? Good idea.

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 22nd, 2020, 8:09 am

Arborbridge wrote:
Dod101 wrote:I think the other place to pick up the virus would surely be keypads whether at an ATM or paying in a shop. I try to keep my purchases under £30 so I can use contactless.

Dod

How about gloves + wiping ones steering wheel with a wipe. If all the wipes are gone, a kitchen towel liberally does with white vinegar might do it. I've found vinegar doesn't harm my phone screen so that gets a wipe if I've been out.

A friend of mine has been "grounded" by his son, who delivers supplies to his door. He then wipes the whole lot down with antiseptic wipes.

I mentioned internet shopping to my wife and she just snorted: she's convinced the risks are low and the whole thing is just over-hyped. I believe this is an illusion caused by moving out of London into West Sussex. Yes, it does seem more remote, but there are still cases close by, and people still travelling in and out of the village.

I'm not sure what to do about tradesmen. I have work that needs doing as we have just moved in, but perhaps I need to put it all off for three months.

Sorry, this post drifted OT, being a compendium of recent thoughts!

I do wipe my steering wheel - when I remember! As for tradesmen, I would not have them in the house at the moment unless a dire emergency.
West Sussex sounds good but as you say/imply not exactly remote from the threat of the virus. I do not think anywhere is.

Dod

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » March 22nd, 2020, 8:21 am

Arborbridge wrote:

Dod

Vinegar is not on the EPA approved list of coronavirus disinfectants and it is not effective against viruses. What makes you think it's a suitable product?

I think wearing gloves is an inferior suggestion because it's incredibly wasteful and expensive and requires everyone to be supplied with them multiple times a day (in every location where multiple people handle something), otherwise it is ineffective. If you simply wash the handle with soap you protect everyone who uses it until coronavirus next appears on the handle.

Dod101 wrote:I am not suggesting you are in the least thick but I have never been to a petrol station with a bucket of soapy water at the pumps. If you have that what else is it for anyway? Good idea.

In normal circumstances not all of them do this, of course, but during the CV outbreak it would be easy to do, just requires someone to make the effort. (Many forecourts IME have water and soap available anyway, for customer to clean car windows or hands. Or is it few and I have just been lucky?)

We manage a hotel business and the first thing we did weeks ago was provide soap in a dish next to every publicly accessible tap on the premises and instruct the staff to wash hands regularly and wipe frequently-touched surfaces with soapy cloths as part of daily cleaning routine. It cost practically nothing to do this.

GS

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » March 22nd, 2020, 8:55 am

richfool wrote:Then the same at checkouts. I would have thought it sensible for cashiers and the like to wear face masks (but guess there aren't any available and it might panic others if they did). I try and keep a distance, but others seem oblivious.

Apparently Aldi are planning on installing screens to protect their staff.

However if there is a self-checkout option at the supermarket then for both the cashier and me, then I choose that by preference.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 22nd, 2020, 9:06 am

AF62 wrote:
richfool wrote:Then the same at checkouts. I would have thought it sensible for cashiers and the like to wear face masks (but guess there aren't any available and it might panic others if they did). I try and keep a distance, but others seem oblivious.

Apparently Aldi are planning on installing screens to protect their staff.

However if there is a self-checkout option at the supermarket then for both the cashier and me, then I choose that by preference.

I used to hate the self checkouts but I think now that that is the best option. That and as I said above I think, make sure that your shop is £30 or under and you can avoid the keypad, I am sure another potential source of infection.

Dod

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » March 22nd, 2020, 9:23 am

Dod101 wrote:make sure that your shop is £30 or under and you can avoid the keypad, I am sure another potential source of infection.

Or use a card stored on your phone and for many cards/retailers* there is no £30 limit for contactless.

*the limit is set by the retailers and the card companies - Lidl I can spend whatever I want on contactless on my phone using a VISA card but it is a £30 limit with Amex. Whereas at Tesco the limit is £30 for all cards as Tesco want to force you to use their Pay+ app which has no limit.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » March 22nd, 2020, 9:25 am

The petrol pump problem will dissipate, as who can justify driving any distance at the moment? The food supply problems will ease provided everyone stops buying when the freezer and cupboards are full. I hope there are few people who've panic bought bread and veg and will do it again when its gone mouldy.

The biggest problem with food shortages is that converts a 2 week shop by car into a series of daily outings to stand in queues for dribs and drabs.

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » March 22nd, 2020, 9:33 am

GoSeigen wrote:Maybe I'm a bit thick but how so? Our local station has a bucket of soapy water right there to wash hands, how hard is it to use that to wipe the handle? If there's no soap/water then instruct the management to provide them or you'll buy your petrol somewhere safer. It's the kind of quick and selfless action which helps make the world a better place, like taking your litter home with you...

GS

Would this be a typical example of the overreaction to this 'flu strain' you are referring to here Here?

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”