Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

What are you going to do with all that time you'll soon have?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Re: What are you going to do with all that time you'll soon have?

Postby Clariman » April 8th, 2020, 1:49 pm

I am sitting here waiting for our Aldi petrol lawnmower to arrive. Our gardener has already done the first cut, so the only reason I am waiting is because I don't want to miss the delivery. Otherwise I would be out in the back garden with my other new toy - a powerwasher - cleaning the patio and slabs.

This morning I did some music practice and recorded a video of me playing so that it can be stitched together with the other 16 members of a band that I play in. That will be great to see when it is all done.

Online shopping has been delivered and every item wiped down with Isopropyl Alcohol wipes. Mrs C is taking her MIL's share of the shopping over to her. Watching the news and hearing that obesity in middle age men is a factor in those who don't do well with Covid-19 has put a dampener on the day mind you.

Later we will go out for a walk.

C

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 8th, 2020, 1:52 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Ah good point actually... I want to leave a fixed amount to my mum, and the balance to my sister - suspect if I pop me clogs 'intestate' it would automatically go to my mum (who would probably pass on a lot to sister anyway)

Still worth doing a will though (I know you know that).

eg. If your mum's estate was liable to inheritance tax in the scenario above, then a lot of your money would have to be handed over as tax. Or paid out in potential care home fees. Or other potential complications.

Scott.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 8th, 2020, 1:54 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:suspect if I pop me clogs 'intestate'

Why does that word make me cross my legs and wince? :)

BJ

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 8th, 2020, 1:58 pm

I was going to make some 'off colour' comment about it meaning 'sans ballons', but decided against it...

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 8th, 2020, 2:18 pm

Clariman wrote: Mrs C is taking her MIL's
C

Convention has it that a usage like "Mrs C" above refers to your better half. But shouldn't her MIL conventionally also be Mrs C?

No answers required. I was just mildly amused by the usage of "her MIL".

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » April 8th, 2020, 4:34 pm

JohnB wrote:I'm using up all the garden fertilizer I inherited from my dad. One packet of iron supplement was dated 1986, oh well iron doesn't go off

I think the lads working on the Forth bridge might argue with that :)

We were supposed to move house last week, obviously that hasn't happened. So I had a choice, go through a large pile of boxes containing books looking for the last few in a series I bought in Hay last year, then thought "sod it" and realised I could get them for 99p each on my Kindle.

I also have a large tub of putty - not really much point in stopping the greenhouse leaking now but it gives me something to do.

Paul

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 8th, 2020, 4:48 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Convention has it that a usage like "Mrs C" above refers to your better half. But shouldn't her MIL conventionally also be Mrs C?

Reminds me of the line "The only good thing I can say about my wife is that her in-laws are better than my in-laws".

Scott.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » April 8th, 2020, 4:58 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Clariman wrote: Mrs C is taking her MIL's
C

Convention has it that a usage like "Mrs C" above refers to your better half. But shouldn't her MIL conventionally also be Mrs C?

Indeed, you are correct. "Her M" or "My MIL" :)

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » April 9th, 2020, 6:07 pm

DrFfybes wrote:We were supposed to move house last week, obviously that hasn't happened.

Have you exchanged contracts? If so, what have you agreed with the other people?

I'm interested, as several of my colleagues have reported major problems in deferring completions.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » April 9th, 2020, 7:50 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:We were supposed to move house last week, obviously that hasn't happened.

Have you exchanged contracts? If so, what have you agreed with the other people?

I'm interested, as several of my colleagues have reported major problems in deferring completions.

A slightly unusual situaton, as we are cash buyers, are not selling our property yet, and our vendors are moving into an empty property.

We had a long discussion directly with the Vendors and solicitors about this (and they with their solicitors) the week before the lockdown was announced, as we planned to exchange on the 19th (IIRC). MrsF was pushing for exchange with a "longstop" date as she's used them quite a bit at work, but for reasons that weren't adequately explained neither solicitor felt this was a good idea.

The simplest solution was to exchange and complete on the same day. Fine with us as we were in the driving seat, and as it happens we didn't need to call a halt as out Vendors' removal company cancelled.

Paul

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”