Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Irish Horse Racing

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Irish Horse Racing

Postby terminal7 » March 23rd, 2020, 1:32 pm

Firstly if anyone objects to such a 'frivolous' topic in current times, I will obviously demur or maybe move to the board covering sport. Nevertheless, I will proceed for the moment.

Some of you will know (might even be interested) that Irish horse racing continues - albeit on a restricted basis behind close doors and with a max of one meeting per day. BTW, this includes Northern Ireland - though racing has ceased in England, Scotland and Wales. If some which to argue the pros and cons of this fine - but this is not the point of my contention.

Today is the first day of the flat season in Ireland. Flat racing is dominated by just a handful of 'top' trainers - the O'Briens (father and son), Weld, Bolger and a couple others. The bulk of the other Irish trainers have slim pickings. The top Irish trainers plunder a sizeable number of British races during the course of the year as well as to a lesser degree further afield such as France, Germany, Italy etc. The result of the current crisis will result in the top Irish trainers aiming all their firepower on the limited races taking place in Ireland. The result even slimmer picking for the others.

T7

Beerpig
Lemon Slice

Re: Irish Horse Racing

Postby Beerpig » March 24th, 2020, 12:41 pm

I agree T7.

However the oligaths of racing- like other sports- are heading for a complete change in circumstances like the rest of society.
What is clear is that when what is left of society does get through the current crisis- which it will- the kings of racing will not have the same clout. The current crisis is likely to wipe out a large number of small trainers (and small football clubs too) and those giants that are left will not have the same appeal. I believe gone are the huge prizes that once adorned the top sports. You need to have a pyramid of lesser institutions to support it.

With an absence of virtually all sport for what looks like a very long time, people are going to find other interests.
The super stars are no longer in the public eye booting a ball about which means no televised sport meaning no sponsorship exposure and the money will quickly dry up. When that happens will the multi million pound a year superstars continue to reap such rewards? Nope. The public wont support it.

When the country comes through the tsunami of sufdfering that is about to strike us, things are going to be very different for everyone and while racing will continue, the likes of the O'Briens and the other elite Irish stables will be playing with themselves.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Re: Irish Horse Racing

Postby terminal7 » March 25th, 2020, 12:56 pm

All academic now as Irish racing suspended yesterday.

Very difficult call in the Republic and I suspect perception was a big factor.

T7

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”