Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

As seen on TV

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

As seen on TV

Postby DrFfybes » May 11th, 2020, 2:47 pm

Today, the tips reopened in Devon.

They were there interviewing and obvisouly waiting for "Traffic Chaos" (which I assume didn't happen as they didn't report it), however one ageing chap at/near the front of the queue said he was there "just after 7 to avoid the queue. I'd seen in manchester they were queueing for over an hour, and I didn't want to do that".

The tip opened at 9am.

Paul

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: As seen on TV

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 11th, 2020, 3:03 pm

DrFfybes wrote:Today, the tips reopened in Devon.
Paul

Er, that'll be your part of Devon. Our tip opens on Sunday, and will be limited to Sat/Sun until further notice.

Got various stuff to take there. Hopefully can jump any queues by making the journey onna bike.

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » May 11th, 2020, 3:13 pm

Most of the tips here in Somerset re-opened today; open six days a week with access alternating between odd and even car number plates. The garden waste collection also resumed today. The Somerset County Gazette reports that they haven't been inundated.

"There were a few cars queueing at Priorswood Recycling Centre this morning, but traffic flowed well"

https://www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk/news/18440563.somersets-recycling-centres-coping-well-reopening-today/

One nice feature is that they've got webcams at some of the tips so that you can see the queue. Here's the webcam at Taunton tip (sorry, "Taunton (Priorswood) Reclamation Centre"). The entrance to the tip is just off the picture's top right corner.

https://www.somersetwaste.gov.uk/centres/taunton-recycling-centre/

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 11th, 2020, 3:59 pm

Trend-setting South Gloucestershire has reopened its tips, but with a novel twist. The only waste they'll accept is your everyday non-recyclable waste - don't even think of trying to bring your old paper or cardboard or glass or aluminium or garden waste, because they'll send you away with a flea in your ear. (I expect there's an extra charge for the flea.)

So, to summarise, the one thing you can get rid of through your regular kerbside collections is the only thing that you can also dump at the tip. But just think of the benefit that your car will derive from its little outing. Eat your heart out, Greta Thunberg, this is how you really limit the need for recycling plastic waste. Just ignore it and it'll go away for a while. :twisted:

Wiltshire, meanwhile, is still thinking about holding a vote ahead of a meeting at which it can discuss the prospects for commissioning an exploratory report on the agenda for setting up a committee on convening another meeting on the health and safety angle of opening the gates to the public. :(

BJ

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » May 11th, 2020, 4:14 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Trend-setting South Gloucestershire has reopened its tips, but with a novel twist. The only waste they'll accept is your everyday non-recyclable waste - don't even think of trying to bring your old paper or cardboard or glass or aluminium or garden waste, because they'll send you away with a flea in your ear. (I expect there's an extra charge for the flea.)

So, to summarise, the one thing you can get rid of through your regular kerbside collections is the only thing that you can also dump at the tip.

Sorry don't understand.

Surely the recyclable waste which they are not accepting, paper, cardboard, glass or aluminium waste or garden waste just goes into your recycling or garden waste bins, so why would you need to take them to the tip?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 11th, 2020, 4:40 pm

AF62 wrote:Surely the recyclable waste which they are not accepting, paper, cardboard, glass or aluminium waste or garden waste just goes into your recycling or garden waste bins, so why would you need to take them to the tip?

Fair question, as far as it goes. I could have put it better. On the rare occasions that I do a skip run, it's because I've got an unusually large quantity of wood scrap, or maybe half a tonne of hedge trimmings, or four or five bags of congealed cement, or old computer cases and dead monitors, and toner cartridges, or car batteries, or more glass bottles than any sane kerbside collection could ever expect to deal with. Maybe it's me that's the unusual one, then?

BJ

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » May 11th, 2020, 4:50 pm

bungeejumper wrote: Maybe it's me that's the unusual one, then?

Umm... no comment.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » May 11th, 2020, 6:54 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Trend-setting South Gloucestershire has reopened its tips, but with a novel twist. The only waste they'll accept is your everyday non-recyclable waste -
BJ

They did the same in Manchester - black bagged waste only. I gather when they emptied the skips they found out half the black bags were full of garden waste, builders rubble, and minor electricals.

Paul

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » May 13th, 2020, 1:16 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Wiltshire, meanwhile, is still thinking about holding a vote ahead of a meeting at which it can discuss the prospects for commissioning an exploratory report on the agenda for setting up a committee on convening another meeting on the health and safety angle of opening the gates to the public. :(

BJ

Seen this today in local Social Media:

"From Wiltshire council.
Household recycling centres reopen from 18 May
Most of our 10 household recycling centres (HRCs) will reopen for essential waste only from Monday 18 May.
Due to the limits on the number of vehicles on site, Stanton St Quintin HRC will remain closed until further notice.
All other HRCs will have different opening hours from usual, so please check before you travel. Full details on opening times will be available later this week.
Residents should only travel to HRCs to dispose of waste that cannot be stored safely at home without causing risk of injury, health or harm.
Social distancing measures will be in place at all sites."

Its that word "essential" again. At least it sort of gets defined in the penaltimate sentence.

didds

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » May 14th, 2020, 7:12 am

I took the first 5 half filled "dumpy bags" down yesterday afternoon, about 7 people queuing outside, so about 5 min wait. Apparently that was the longest queue they'd had all day.

Devon's tips are simply open as normal, except for bottle banks (presumably as there are loads elsewhere).

I'll drop MrsF at work this morning and take the rest - some interesting white growth in most of the bags as a couple were ready before lockdown but I never got thee with them.

The rest of the garden stuff - rotting sleepers and about 3 tonne of hardcore went off with a local contractor.

Paul

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » May 14th, 2020, 7:57 am

In our house under lockdown we have had 6 adults which is twice as many as usual. Fortunately we have a spare bin since for six adults we are allowed two wheelie bins for standard household waste but under that number you are only allowed one.

We have been filling two bins regularly under the lockdown and we would have had several bags to deliver to our local recycling centre had we only had one bin. We have also been working from home and having deliveries which have created much more recycling of cardboard and paper than normal. Fortunately we still have access to the recycling bins at our office.

John

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » May 14th, 2020, 11:04 am

Due to the very wet winter we didn't get out in the garden until just before the lockdown started. Once it did we went at it with a vengeance. Now we have maybe 150 rubble sacks full of assorted weeds,roots and general gardening rubbish all ready for disposal.

Our local council tip opened yesterday for the first time in weeks. They obviously expect to be swamped as they have introduced a new queuing system using one lane of the dual carriageway.

I think I'll wait a week before I give it a try.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » May 14th, 2020, 3:15 pm

sg31 wrote:Due to the very wet winter we didn't get out in the garden until just before the lockdown started. Once it did we went at it with a vengeance. Now we have maybe 150 rubble sacks full of assorted weeds,roots and general gardening rubbish all ready for disposal.

Our local council tip opened yesterday for the first time in weeks. They obviously expect to be swamped as they have introduced a new queuing system using one lane of the dual carriageway.

I think I'll wait a week before I give it a try.

I thought that, but apparently so did everyone else. Googlemaps has a 'traffic' tab which compares current speeds to 'normal' and is pretty good at spotting queues, and Devon has a few traffic camera online near the tips so a long queue would be obvious. Also look at your local newspaper website - you can bet they'd have been covering it is there really were big queues.

Today I arrived at 9:24 and the queue was to the entrance, and I left exactly 20 mins later having spent a good 5 mins unloading. It is often worse on a Bank Holiday. I now have 8 empty 'dumpy' bags, I guess someone will take them on Freecycle.

Paul

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » May 14th, 2020, 5:27 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
I thought that, but apparently so did everyone else. Googlemaps has a 'traffic' tab which compares current speeds to 'normal' and is pretty good at spotting queues, and Devon has a few traffic camera online near the tips so a long queue would be obvious. Also look at your local newspaper website - you can bet they'd have been covering it is there really were big queues.

Today I arrived at 9:24 and the queue was to the entrance, and I left exactly 20 mins later having spent a good 5 mins unloading. It is often worse on a Bank Holiday. I now have 8 empty 'dumpy' bags, I guess someone will take them on Freecycle.

Paul

A friend phoned me earlier the queue stretched from the tip back to the crematorium, about a mile and a bit. I've no idea how long it would take to get through a queue like that but I suspect it would be a long time. Realistically they will have to restrict the number of vehicles on site at any one time. At this time of year about 70% of the visits are for garden waste and there is only one hopper for that. Normally 2 or 3 people each side now it must be restricted to one each side. It's only a relatively small tip.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 14th, 2020, 5:46 pm

DrFfybes wrote:Devon's tips are simply open as normal, except for bottle banks (presumably as there are loads elsewhere).
Paul

That's just as much nonsense as it was last time you posted it. See for instance https://www.devon.gov.uk/wasteandrecycl ... ng-centre/

wilbobob
2 Lemon pips

Postby wilbobob » May 14th, 2020, 6:15 pm

rabbit
Lemon Pip

Postby rabbit » May 14th, 2020, 10:17 pm

UncleE is right. This Devon tip is not open as normal, only on Saturdays and Sundays and with limited service (hope the long link works!).

http://www.tavistock-today.co.uk/articl ... hyear=2020

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » May 14th, 2020, 11:06 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:Devon's tips are simply open as normal, except for bottle banks (presumably as there are loads elsewhere).
Paul

That's just as much nonsense as it was last time you posted it. See for instance https://www.devon.gov.uk/wasteandrecycl ... ng-centre/

OK, All but 2 of Devons tips are open as usual...

happy now?

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”