Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

NHS tracing app

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers

Will you download and use the NHS tracing app?

Poll ended at June 4th, 2020, 9:44 pm

Yes, I think it's an excellent idea, and I'm looking forward to using it
8%
Yes, I've an open mind, and I'm willing to give it a try
20%
Yes, though I don't have much confidence that it'll work
9%
Undecided
12%
No, mainly for security reasons
16%
No, mainly because I don't think it'll work
9%
No, because my phone isn't compatible
9%
No, because I don't think it's necessary
4%
No, because I think it's s stupid idea, doomed to fail
8%
Other (Please explain)
4%

Total votes: 75

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Re: NHS tracing app

Postby JohnB » May 28th, 2020, 11:48 am

A cashier's exposure is short, and can be well controlled with screens. A better worry case is hairdressers and waiters. I can't see either profession willing to repeatedly stop work for 2 weeks, as they are in longer and closer contact wit others, badly paid and rely on tips, so sick-pay compensation schemes won't work.

Would you ban all cash transactions to ensure every purchase can be tracked, and give access to your credit card records to the contact tracing team. It would need a deep dive into a bank' system to get the timestamps before you could identify the shop assistant who served you, and be a huge civil liberties issue. Security cameras with face recognition could be used, or Google's GPS records, but ditto.

Apparently we've always had contact tracers for notifiable diseases, but they are used to work on small numbers of cases, and their numbers have been cut. To do tracing properly needs the manpower of a police murder investigation, which is clearly impossible, hence the reliance on an app, with all its problems of bad data.

Gaggsy
Lemon Slice

Re: NHS tracing app

Postby Gaggsy » May 28th, 2020, 12:38 pm

Mike4 wrote:
dealtn wrote:
Mike4 wrote: What do you lot think?

Well I think using unnecessary, and rude language such as "faceless suit" detracts from the merits of your argument.

Well when I wrote the post, I had had a dram or two (this being the pub) and I could not remember who the person was, so faceless suit was actually how I perceived him at the time so that is what I put.

You presumably missed my subsequent post where having figured out who it was, I switched to referring to him as "that nice Mr Hancock".

He's not faceless. He has the face of Lieutenant Gruber

https://twitter.com/HRWright/status/1265369880322281477
Allo Allo!

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”