Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Non essential shops to re-open…

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Non essential shops to re-open…

Postby brightncheerful » May 26th, 2020, 10:10 am

…on 15 June.

Will you be rushing to the shops or have you got used to buying via a few clicks and delivery to your doorstep?

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: Non essential shops to re-open…

Postby PinkDalek » May 26th, 2020, 10:22 am

brightncheerful wrote:Will you be rushing to the shops...

Only for essentials (and I shan't be rushing). :)

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 26th, 2020, 10:24 am

brightncheerful wrote:…on 15 June.

Will you be rushing to the shops or have you got used to buying via a few clicks and delivery to your doorstep?

Shops have been entirely inconsistent. For example, one of our two local independent wholefood shops has stayed open, t'other closed. And my favourite small independent food shops have closed, but a deli that remained open served cheese cut by the man behind the counter with no pretence at any kind of "protection" - not even the regular food hygeine seen for years at any supermarket deli counter.

Local hardware/homewares shop recently appeared open, so I thought I'd get some long-delayed things of the kind it's better to view in-the-flesh (so to speak). But they wouldn't allow me in without nasty goo on the hands, so back to the choice of online pot-luck or delay.

If our best shops re-open, I'll be straight in. But I'd guess most of what they're expecting to reopen now are "what's the point?" shops I'd never use anyway.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » May 26th, 2020, 10:30 am

Delivery to the door, and click & collect are now our favoured options - and I certainly don't see us standing in long queues waiting to take our turn to enter a socially distanced store. But its all academic up here in Scotland - we don't know if and when our shops will be open.
It will be interesting to see if our police attempt to fine those Scots attempting cross-border raids. I see that a bunch of numpties who got lost while hill walking in Argyll got fined by the police when they were ushered down off the hill by the Mountain Rescue. Clearly our bobbies are more determined on enforcement than are the Durham police.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » May 26th, 2020, 10:45 am

I will continue to use any small locally run shops as I have always done. My online shipping will also continue at the same trajectory.

I can't wait until Monday to visit my local car showrooms though, I have so missed that activity during lockdown...

John

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » May 26th, 2020, 11:20 am

I'll be limiting my exposure for a while after things are relaxed.

There is no rush for me.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » May 26th, 2020, 11:40 am

My local bike shop - sale and repair - has remained opened four days a week since lockdown.

The queue when I went past yesterday was only four (see pic below), it's usually double that.

Not sure how they managed to wangle being an 'essential' business. Perhaps as Boris is an avid cyclist?

HYD

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » May 26th, 2020, 11:49 am

Howyoudoin wrote:Not sure how they managed to wangle being an 'essential' business.

Bicycle shops along with pet stores were amongst the original exemptions.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 26th, 2020, 12:11 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:Not sure how they managed to wangle being an 'essential' business.
HYD

Erm, perhaps because bikes don't stop needing parts and/or repairs?

Even more vital at a time when public transport is much-reduced and strongly-discouraged.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » May 26th, 2020, 12:20 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Shops have been entirely inconsistent. For example, one of our two local independent wholefood shops has stayed open, t'other closed.

Yes - but that will have been the owners'/management's decsion, not some government edict. Those that are not trading are doing so because the store owners etc have decided not to trade.

One of my lcoal pubs closed before the government line was made, on the basis they werent prepared to take the risk to their staff and customers.
Other locals of mine remained trading right up to the bell on that last day.

They have said that when the trading ban is lifted they wont be reopening until they consider it 100% safe and full normal spacving etc can be done etc . Other lcoals have plans in place to open asap with SD measures in place.

didds

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » May 26th, 2020, 12:22 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
HYD

Erm, perhaps because bikes don't stop needing parts and/or repairs?

Even more vital at a time when public transport is much-reduced and strongly-discouraged.

... and if stores like Wilco and poundland and supermarkets are selling basic bike bits (up to and inluding tyres and cables etc etc etc ) then why wouldnt a bike shop be open? Ditto alcohol, hence pubs trading with off sales. Though why that woudnt allow florists to trade in a similar anaology I dunno...

didds

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » May 26th, 2020, 2:49 pm

As a family we've got no intention of going near a shop even though the C19 risks are negligible. Supposedly I should feel guilty and be protecting our high street, but it's only a trend that we were doing before anyway and we need less stuff, not more.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 26th, 2020, 2:59 pm

neversay wrote:As a family we've got no intention of going near a shop even though the C19 risks are negligible. Supposedly I should feel guilty and be protecting our high street, but it's only a trend that we were doing before anyway and we need less stuff, not more.

I should think so too. Families in shops are a complete nuisance. As are couples, and even "virtual couples" - people constantly on the phone to the boss and oblivious to all else.

Enjoy family time at home, out and about, and at appropriate places and events. Not in shops, where kids will be bored, subordinate adults will feel superfluous and want out, and dominant adults will dominate, and you'll all be in the bloomin' way!

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » May 26th, 2020, 4:47 pm

My MoT was done yesterday. Showroom closed, so I had to go for a walk down the lane while they did it. Keys thrown through a 6ft gap.

TJH

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 26th, 2020, 4:50 pm

Just get the beer gardens open...

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » May 26th, 2020, 5:21 pm

didds wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:
Shops have been entirely inconsistent. For example, one of our two local independent wholefood shops has stayed open, t'other closed.

Yes - but that will have been the owners'/management's decision, not some government edict. Those that are not trading are doing so because the store owners etc have decided not to trade.

One of my local pubs closed before the government line was made, on the basis they weren't prepared to take the risk to their staff and customers.
Other locals of mine remained trading right up to the bell on that last day.

They have said that when the trading ban is lifted they wont be reopening until they consider it 100% safe and full normal spacing etc can be done etc . Other locals have plans in place to open asap with SD measures in place.

didds

Clearly rather different from the views of Tim Martin, CEO of Wetherspoons, who didn't give a damn, and whose pubs I hope will be boycotted for eternity. :(

I wonder if he has a PR agent like Edina Monsoon. 8-)

Steve

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 26th, 2020, 5:23 pm

Not really. But then I rarely like buying things at the best of times. :)

There is of course the matter of food shopping. I certainly have not "got used to buying via a few clicks and delivery to your doorstep" for food! So I will continue to go to the local supermarket. I have got used to shopping weekly+ by car, rather than every few days by foot, will have to see how this goes in future.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » May 26th, 2020, 5:48 pm

Nope. If they're not essential why are they there in the first place :roll:

I know I'll get my coat.

We popped to the local tropical fish shop on Sunday. All laid out to suit Covid 19. They gave me and my daughter a trolley to push in front of us. Now the shop is actually a franchise inside a garden centre. So the trolley was - yup you've guessed it one of those big ones for moving gardens on. We obliged. I thought to myself when we get round the corner we'll park this monster up before we go into the fish section. And lo and behold there were a good dozen of these things strewn and deserted all over the place.

We then went to the local DIY to get a couple of bits. The queue was at least 30m long. All nicely spaced in 2m boxes with - yes you guessed it those huge park your house on here trolleys in front of them. We didn't join the queue. I ordered what I needed from the big river and they arrived today.

Essentially all these non essential shops are going to have to think about asking people to push unwieldly non essential trolleys around in front of them before I see them as even half attractive to visit again.

Noting I have enough clothes and shoes to see me to my grave ;)

Meh

AiYn'U

Sussexlad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sussexlad » May 26th, 2020, 6:20 pm

No, I will be sticking to buying the vast majority online now. I was already driving to an adjacent town because i can get there quicker than driving into my own city centre and the parking is 70p compared to several pounds. I read several towns are also pedestrianising even more of their centres, making access even more problematic. I can't see high street shops ever recovering. Already a large number are coffee shops, estate agents, charity shops and opticians. They simply can't compete with the wide choice online offers and waiting a day or two is neither here nor there.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 26th, 2020, 6:25 pm

Sussexlad wrote:I can't see high street shops ever recovering. Already a large number are coffee shops, estate agents, charity shops and opticians.

You forgot mobile phone shops and fried chicken places. But your point is well taken. Few things are more depressing than the average UK high street. Good riddance.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”