Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Non essential shops to re-open…

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Re: Non essential shops to re-open…

Postby brightncheerful » June 3rd, 2020, 9:39 am

But they might of course sell at £2.79 and put the more expensive shop out of business, or even £1.99 and raise the price when the other shop disappears.

That assumes customers would know about it and/or care.

A perennial complaint of small shops is that their prices are cheaper for some items than at supermarkets yet people buy at the supermarket. Partly supermarket shopping is convenience, also small shops don't have the advertising budgets.

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » June 3rd, 2020, 9:48 am

I don’t know what women you know, but none that I know would go shopping for curtains and sheets when they are on holiday in Spain

It's not clear whether the none that you know would go shopping for curtains and sheets when they are on holiday or because it's in Spain

Mrs Bnc bought a tablecloth and serviettes (napkins if you're a Scot) when we were in France; also a bolster.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » June 3rd, 2020, 10:31 am

Napkins are napkins.

stockton
Lemon Slice

Postby stockton » June 3rd, 2020, 2:51 pm

brightncheerful wrote:With shop sold stuff, the cost to the shop of buying from the wholesaler or supplier will vary depending upon the value of the order to the supplier or wholesaler. For example, a local trader with 1 shop might get 40% discount on an item, whereas a multiple retailer with dozens of branches might get 60% and with hundreds of branches perhaps 75%. And multiple retailers enjoy economy of scale so the costs of selling each item would also be lower than 1 shop.

I find the figures quoted very interesting (and higher than I was expecting).
I assume multiple retailer implies delivery to a warehouse, or could you get distributed deliveries included with those discounts ?
And could you indicate more precisely the sectors where such figures would apply ?

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » June 4th, 2020, 3:33 pm

I assume multiple retailer implies delivery to a warehouse, or could you get distributed deliveries included with those discounts ?

A multiple retailer is generally considered to be a retailer with at least 5 shops.

Nothing to do with where the goods are delivered. Multiples tend to have a head office which might include a warehouse. Deliveries might be to a central warehouse from which company distribute stock to each branch. Some suppliers deliver direct to the branch. To minimise capital tied-up in stock, the trend has been towards just-in-time delivery.

Local traders buy stock from the suppliers which could be a wholesaler, direct from manufacturers, trade cash-and-carry. local producers.

The example discounts could apply to any sector.

It's possible for one person to manage up 5 branches (each shop having its own manager and staff). Between 5 and 7 branches, it's challenging for one person but not worthwhile having a team. >7 shops it's usual to have departments for different functions.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 4th, 2020, 3:45 pm

brightncheerful wrote:
I don’t know what women you know, but none that I know would go shopping for curtains and sheets when they are on holiday in Spain

It's not clear whether the none that you know would go shopping for curtains and sheets when they are on holiday or because it's in Spain

Mrs Bnc bought a tablecloth and serviettes (napkins if you're a Scot) when we were in France; also a bolster.

A bolster is one of those wide cold chisels for cutting bricks in half, for those of you wondering....

https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson-gu ... -x-8/3060v

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » June 4th, 2020, 3:48 pm

Mike4 wrote:

A bolster is one of those wide cold chisels for cutting bricks in half, for those of you wondering....

https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson-gu ... -x-8/3060v

Ah - I've got one of those that I bought for chipping out my floor tiles. I wondered why it wasn't very good at that.

Cheers, OLTB.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 4th, 2020, 10:33 pm

Mike4 wrote:
brightncheerful wrote:

And here's me thinking it was one of those big pillows my mum used to use to separate us kids when we had to share double beds on what used to be called "holidays"

-sd

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » June 5th, 2020, 11:52 am

And here's me thinking it was one of those big pillows my mum used to use to separate us kids when we had to share double beds on what used to be called "holidays"

When adults sharing a double bed want to avoid having separate kids. they get a dog.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”