Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Come and give us your Unpopular Opinion....

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Come and give us your Unpopular Opinion....

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 11th, 2020, 3:47 pm

Mike4 wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:After extensive research I can confirm that beer in cans/bottles is NEVER as good as proper draught beer.

I don't think anyone here is likely to accept your conclusion until we have successfully peer-reviewed your research.

Some of us have many years experience of duplicating it.

But "Never" is a big claim. ;)

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » November 19th, 2020, 5:21 pm

Mike4 wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:After extensive research I can confirm that beer in cans/bottles is NEVER as good as proper draught beer.

I don't think anyone here is likely to accept your conclusion until we have successfully peer-reviewed your research.

Agree with ale.
But lager in cans or bottled is as good as draught.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » November 19th, 2020, 6:17 pm

Leothebear wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

Agree with ale.
But lager in cans or bottled is as BAD as draught.

Corrected that for ya...!

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 19th, 2020, 6:40 pm

Leothebear wrote:Agree with ale.

So. "Ale", what's that? Is, say, Brewdog Punk IPA ale? It's certainly not lager.

If it's ale, I'd submit that bottled and canned isn't much different to draft.

(Note: whether you approve of it or not isn't part of the question :-))

Scott.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » November 19th, 2020, 7:57 pm

swill453 wrote:

So. "Ale", what's that? Is, say, Brewdog Punk IPA ale? It's certainly not lager.

Scott.

A long time ago, about 1960, Bass came out in cans. I was working at the British Glass Industry Research Association at the time and we persuaded our director to let us organise a blind tasting of Bass in bottle and in can. Of the number of people who took part only our section leader and I could differentiate between them. He got all 10 samples correct, I got 8/10 identified but attributed to the wrong type.

We far preferred draught Bass anyway. I think that the bottles and cans were of Blue Triangle, as Red Triangle would not have been canned.

TJH

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 19th, 2020, 8:00 pm

tjh290633 wrote:A long time ago, about 1960, Bass came out in cans. I was working at the British Glass Industry Research Association at the time and we persuaded our director to let us organise a blind tasting of Bass in bottle and in can. Of the number of people who took part only our section leader and I could differentiate between them. He got all 10 samples correct, I got 8/10 identified but attributed to the wrong type.

We far preferred draught Bass anyway. I think that the bottles and cans were of Blue Triangle, as Red Triangle would not have been canned.

Mmmm, Bass straight from the cask into jugs at the Star Inn in Bath...

EDIT: Sorry wrong board.

Scott.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 19th, 2020, 10:12 pm

They sold Bass (red triangle) in bottles at the Folies-Bergère in the 1880s
I have proof

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » November 20th, 2020, 8:32 am

swill453 wrote:

Scott.

What's IPA?

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 20th, 2020, 8:36 am

Leothebear wrote:
swill453 wrote:

What's IPA?

It's Plainly Ale?

Scott.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 20th, 2020, 8:52 am

swill453 wrote:Mmmm, Bass straight from the cask into jugs at the Star Inn in Bath...

Way off the point, but the Star is still there, and it hasn't grown any bigger. (It's the thinnest pub I've ever seen, built on a precipitous slope where a quite a few of the first Georgian buildings had simply slid away down the hill.)

Still famed for its Bass today. And for the tiny snug favoured by old codgers, which is cheerfully known as Death Row. Having a bit of trouble this year with social distancing, for obvious reasons. :?

BJ (not really a Bass drinker. In the words of an ex girlfriend, "it do make i farrrrrrt".)

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » November 20th, 2020, 10:21 am

As Bass beer has been mentioned favourably hereabouts, thought I'd just mention that when I worked in Burton-upon-Trent, I used to find a lot of the Bass workers drinking in the Bridge (supplied by Burton Bridge Brewery, not Bass). That despite there being a workers' bar actually available inside the Bass brewery itself...

VRD

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 20th, 2020, 10:48 am

swill453 wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:A long time ago, about 1960, Bass came out in cans. I was working at the British Glass Industry Research Association at the time and we persuaded our director to let us organise a blind tasting of Bass in bottle and in can. Of the number of people who took part only our section leader and I could differentiate between them. He got all 10 samples correct, I got 8/10 identified but attributed to the wrong type.

Mmmm, Bass straight from the cask into jugs at the Star Inn in Bath...

EDIT: Sorry wrong board.

Scott.

I used to drink at a place in Peterborough called "The Still" I don't actually think that was its name but that's what it was known as. Two very small rooms in an old coaching inn that could hold about 12 people each and a big courtyard that could cram in about 200...and often did. No games, jukebox food or anything not even beer pumps. Just drinking great beer and have great conversations. This was back in the mid 70s.

The barmaids, one of them being my mate's mum Vera, used to have to go down into the cellar and fill half gallon stainless steel jugs with "ale" which was ether Bass, Pedigree or Ruddles. Nectar, all of it. Happy days. I stopped drinking alcohol a few months ago and don't miss the alcohol but still reminisce over the TASTE of good beer.

John

I found an old photo https://www.peterboroughimages.co.uk/the-still/

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » November 20th, 2020, 12:01 pm

redsturgeon wrote:I used to drink at a place in Peterborough called "The Still" I don't actually think that was its name but that's what it was known as. Two very small rooms in an old coaching inn that could hold about 12 people each and a big courtyard that could cram in about 200...and often did. No games, jukebox food or anything not even beer pumps. Just drinking great beer and have great conversations. This was back in the mid 70s.

The barmaids, one of them being my mate's mum Vera, used to have to go down into the cellar and fill half gallon stainless steel jugs with "ale" which was ether Bass, Pedigree or Ruddles. Nectar, all of it. Happy days. I stopped drinking alcohol a few months ago and don't miss the alcohol but still reminisce over the TASTE of good beer.

John

Not all ale was decent in the dark ages. I can recall when Stroud Brewery took over Alton Court Brewery in the 1950s, neither of which was exactly palateable. In Oxford we had a grand tour of Otmoor one day, calling at 19 pubs en route. We omitted any Morrells houses, as their beer was below par, College Ale excepted. That was about 8% alcohol, as I recall.

A stop at a pub serving Garnes Burford Ales was one which we regretted. We had been to an open day at RAF Brize Norton, home to the USAF at the time, and had had our first taste of American beer. Millers High Life and Schlitze's - The Beer that made Milwaukee famous - both in can produced from cuboards with large tubs of ice keeping it cool. Garnes was horrible, but I kept a half pint mug as a reminder not to go back.

TJH

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 20th, 2020, 12:07 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:I used to drink at a place in Peterborough called "The Still" I don't actually think that was its name but that's what it was known as. Two very small rooms in an old coaching inn that could hold about 12 people each and a big courtyard that could cram in about 200...and often did. No games, jukebox food or anything not even beer pumps. Just drinking great beer and have great conversations. This was back in the mid 70s.

John

Not all ale was decent in the dark ages. I can recall when Stroud Brewery took over Alton Court Brewery in the 1950s, neither of which was exactly palateable. In Oxford we had a grand tour of Otmoor one day, calling at 19 pubs en route. We omitted any Morrells houses, as their beer was below par, College Ale excepted. That was about 8% alcohol, as I recall.

A stop at a pub serving Garnes Burford Ales was one which we regretted. We had been to an open day at RAF Brize Norton, home to the USAF at the time, and had had our first taste of American beer. Millers High Life and Schlitze's - The Beer that made Milwaukee famous - both in can produced from cuboards with large tubs of ice keeping it cool. Garnes was horrible, but I kept a half pint mug as a reminder not to go back.

TJH

I certainly do not want to give the impression that I think all ale from the past was good. Fortunately memory is selective and I find it easier to remember the good pints but I can certainly recall Elgoods being a local brew that I disliked intensely.

John

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 20th, 2020, 1:05 pm

My wife is from burton origainally... hardly any (if ANY!) of her Burtonian circle drink bass these days. marstons (as a lesser of two evils it seems), Burton bridge indeed, or whatever else may be available from free houses and and the likes of Tower brewery, Last heretic et al. the coops is still an amazing place whatever they are selling :-)

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » May 21st, 2021, 1:09 pm

Snorvey wrote:I don't really care about Princess Diana, Martin Bashir, Prince William, Prince Harry and yet another Oprah interview.... or any of the rest of it.

I guess what Andrew has done must be pretty terrible they're dredging this up to take the heat off him!,

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 21st, 2021, 2:55 pm

Question that springs to mind: where do they draw the line?

BBC interviewers routinely manipulate their subjects into saying things they might not choose to. If they accept that, what did basher do that was substantially different?

Misleading an interviewee can also be very funny.

doolally
Lemon Slice

Postby doolally » May 21st, 2021, 2:58 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Question that springs to mind: where do they draw the line?

BBC interviewers routinely manipulate their subjects into saying things they might not choose to. If they accept that, what did basher do that was substantially different?

Misleading an interviewee can also be very funny.

It's certainly not unique to the BBC. Every media interviewer wants a scoop

doolally

mark88man
2 Lemon pips

Postby mark88man » May 21st, 2021, 6:18 pm

Great British Railways is a great idea, and not at all plagiarised

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » May 21st, 2021, 6:35 pm

This weather makes a pleasant change from 'global warming'.

V8

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”