Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Come and give us your Unpopular Opinion....

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: Come and give us your Unpopular Opinion....

Postby DrFfybes » August 5th, 2020, 3:00 pm

The 'pinchpoint' on the A386 nother of Derriford RBT (now all massively redesigned but still not much better https://goo.gl/maps/5ddkti4eLZnLqTAU8 ) as done that way to keep 2 lanes on the approach to the RBT as the modellers said it would help flow on to the dual carr on the other side. The stretch was supposed to be eventually dualled all the way to Woolwell and the airport but it didn't happen then the land was sold.

Sadly the same is true of much on the inland rail route - it would have to be a much longer route to Okehampton and a lot of the old land is either gone or converted to cycle routes. Still makes more sense than playing King Canute with the current route. Interestingly when it is closed the express "replacement Bus" that runs from Taunton (or Collumpton, I can't remember) directly to Plymouth are faster than the train. From Exeter the bus serves the intermediate stops and takes a lonnnnnng time.

Plymouth airport, fine in theory, but the high ground meant it was often closed by poor visibility. It was also sold to Sutton Harbour Holdings, a property development company, so it was pretty much doomed from then on. Probably should have been developed years ago and rebuilt on the now developed land near the A38.

Having driven the A38 daily for a decade or so, it only jammed around Ashburton because for some reason people kept hitting each other. Usually at least once a week somewhere along the Lee Mill stretch - the joys of tractors and trailers on a 70 limit trunk road. I do recall one night seing a lorru indicating right along that stretch. 2 indicators on the top and bottom of the vehicle. I flashed main beam to let them out and realised it was actually a transit with its hazard lights on, on its side :(

Paul

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 5th, 2020, 4:10 pm

DrFfybes wrote:The 'pinchpoint' on the A386 nother of Derriford RBT (now all massively redesigned but still not much better

Indeed, it's changed again - I think your summary is fair.

Sadly the same is true of much on the inland rail route - it would have to be a much longer route to Okehampton and a lot of the old land is either gone or converted to cycle routes. Still makes more sense than playing King Canute with the current route.

It's not such a hugely longer route, bearing in mind the strange meanderings of the current route. Though it too was never fast: it was after all the westward continuation of the Waterloo-Salisbury-Exeter line, which is today the slow line (single-track west of Yeovil). Crunch points are (AIUI) the Meldon Viaduct - which would need restoration and might end up a single-track stretch - and the fact that houses have been built on Tavistock station. There are already plans floating around for an alternative site for the latter. But as you say, even a slow line offers a level of robustness we'll be thankful for when the weather beats the line at Dawlish/Teignmouth.

Interestingly when it is closed the express "replacement Bus" that runs from Taunton (or Collumpton, I can't remember) directly to Plymouth are faster than the train. From Exeter the bus serves the intermediate stops and takes a lonnnnnng time.

As I recollect it, Tiverton. A station that's just down a slip road from the M5.

Sod's law forced me to use that line a lot when it was swept out to sea, and at that time road travel was severely disrupted too. Replacement buses went to whatever destination was open, and sometimes didn't run at all! Nowadays there's a much better alternative: the "falcon" coach.

Having driven the A38 daily for a decade or so, it only jammed around Ashburton because for some reason people kept hitting each other.
Paul

Yet the stretch that really terrifies me - with several blind junctions on the fast road - is west of the Tamar. There's the bridge and tunnel, then the Saltash bypass, but after the roundabout it gets scary!

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 5th, 2020, 4:25 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:The 'pinchpoint' on the A386 nother of Derriford RBT (now all massively redesigned but still not much better

Indeed, it's changed again - I think your summary is fair.

August 15th. Fell off near Bovey Tracey. Pump caught in my trouser leg. Slight damage to egg sandwich.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5v0vmk

BJ

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 5th, 2020, 4:40 pm

Snorvey wrote:Sounds like I've stumbled on a conversation between a load of middle aged men at a party.

'Oh you don't want to take the A101 though Leamington Spa, you want the 238, the B9055 then the M4 Junction 20 at Plonkton on Thames. That way you cut out the triple box junction at Dunny on the Wold.

OOOoohhhh so THAT'S how that bloody motorhome crawling along got to be in front of me yet again, as I went through there sticking on the 101.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 5th, 2020, 5:00 pm

DrFfybes wrote:Plymouth airport, fine in theory, but the high ground meant it was often closed by poor visibility. It was also sold to Sutton Harbour Holdings, a property development company, so it was pretty much doomed from then on. Probably should have been developed years ago and rebuilt on the now developed land near the A38.

Having driven the A38 daily for a decade or so, it only jammed around Ashburton because for some reason people kept hitting each other. Usually at least once a week somewhere along the Lee Mill stretch - the joys of tractors and trailers on a 70 limit trunk road. I do recall one night seing a lorru indicating right along that stretch. 2 indicators on the top and bottom of the vehicle. I flashed main beam to let them out and realised it was actually a transit with its hazard lights on, on its side :(

The odd thing about PLH is that the main runway and infrastructure has been retained, whilst homes have been built on the non-essential parts including the second runway. You'd think they'd either build on all of it or none of it.

Re the A38 there is a very nasty exit into Ashburton between the two main exits, where you have to slow down almost to a stop else you are likely to lose your traction on the tight bend into where the cattle market used to be. That exit alone accounts for a fair few of the accidents.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 5th, 2020, 5:58 pm

Snorvey wrote:Kill me now. Please.

Come on, admit it, you're just jealous that you don't live in the English Riviera, where the sun rarely stops shining, where palm trees waft in the balmy ocean breeze, and where the sun-kissed grass grows all winter long.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » August 5th, 2020, 6:49 pm

Are we still giving UNpopular opinions?

;)

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 5th, 2020, 6:57 pm

The Scottish Higher results (announced yesterday) revealed that the SQA had downgraded some results most of which it has been revealed refer to 'disadvantaged students'. I suspect that the schools in more 'disadvantaged' areas talked up their results because that is the politically correct thing to do. If students are disadvantaged because they are not as bright as others they ought to get lower pass rates.

Dod

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 5th, 2020, 7:39 pm

Lootman wrote:

Come on, admit it, you're just jealous that you don't live in the English Riviera, where the sun rarely stops shining, where palm trees waft in the balmy ocean breeze, and where the sun-kissed grass grows all winter long.

Hartlepool?

--kiloran

Stonge
Lemon Slice

Postby Stonge » August 10th, 2020, 6:20 pm

This government seeks only to make things better for the ordinary citizen, not to line their own pockets in any way they can think of.

This is a competent and honest government. The Prime Minister and the members of his cabinet are not a bunch of self seeking fourth rate incompetents who should all be thrown off a high cliff. We are lucky to have them guiding us forward to to heaven on Earth.

8-)

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » August 10th, 2020, 7:27 pm

Stonge wrote:This government seeks only to make things better for the ordinary citizen, not to line their own pockets in any way they can think of.

This is a competent and honest government. The Prime Minister and the members of his cabinet are not a bunch of self seeking fourth rate incompetents who should all be thrown off a high cliff. We are lucky to have them guiding us forward to to heaven on Earth.

8-)

They have been 100% transparent about the sound, scientific reasons for their descisions during this crisis. Neither they nor their advisors have held back data, descision-making policies or source code for fear of ridicule.

(Actually, I think this thread is meant for genuine opinions. The bait was there ready to take, however.)

Julian F. G. W.

Stonge
Lemon Slice

Postby Stonge » August 10th, 2020, 10:08 pm

jfgw wrote:
Stonge wrote:This government seeks only to make things better for the ordinary citizen, not to line their own pockets in any way they can think of.

8-)

They have been 100% transparent about the sound, scientific reasons for their descisions during this crisis. Neither they nor their advisors have held back data, descision-making policies or source code for fear of ridicule.

(Actually, I think this thread is meant for genuine opinions. The bait was there ready to take, however.)

Julian F. G. W.

I thought this thread was for unpopular opinions. I apologise if my post was actually a popular opinion. I'd plead guilty if you accused it of being a ridiculous opinion, but of course none of this is anything to laugh about.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » August 10th, 2020, 10:29 pm

Stonge wrote:....of course none of this is anything to laugh about.

I think it is. It's called black humour.

V8

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » August 10th, 2020, 10:31 pm

Stonge wrote:I thought this thread was for unpopular opinions. I apologise if my post was actually a popular opinion. I'd plead guilty if you accused it of being a ridiculous opinion, but of course none of this is anything to laugh about.

I doubt it is a popular opinion; it just seemed too outlandish to be genuine. I am sure selfless politicians exist but I reckon I can find a woman's clitoris and fourth gear on my Astra in less time than it takes you to find one :)

Julian F. G. W.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 11th, 2020, 8:28 am

jfgw wrote:
Stonge wrote:I thought this thread was for unpopular opinions. I apologise if my post was actually a popular opinion. I'd plead guilty if you accused it of being a ridiculous opinion, but of course none of this is anything to laugh about.

I doubt it is a popular opinion; it just seemed too outlandish to be genuine. I am sure selfless politicians exist but I reckon I can find a woman's clitoris and fourth gear on my Astra in less time than it takes you to find one :)

Julian F. G. W.

Why would your Astra have one of those?

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » August 11th, 2020, 11:37 am

jfgw wrote:I reckon I can find a woman's clitoris and fourth gear on my Astra

I put a 5-speed gear knob in our 205, which only has four gears.
Looking forward to taking it to our regular garage on April 1st with 'gear selection problems'.
The mechanic who gets tasked with the job may have an unpopular opinion of my sense of humour.

V8

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 11th, 2020, 12:56 pm

88V8 wrote:I put a 5-speed gear knob in our 205, which only has four gears.
Looking forward to taking it to our regular garage on April 1st with 'gear selection problems'.

At your own risk. He'll bill you a couple of hours for dismantling the selectors, and then, oh yes, he's found the fifth gear, and it's reverse. :lol:

Maximum points for running the 205. Both my daughters had them as their first cars. Solid, simple and spannerable. Not to say stylish, by 1980s/90s standards at least. They served us well. :D

BJ

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » August 11th, 2020, 1:07 pm

After extensive research I can confirm that beer in cans/bottles is NEVER as good as proper draught beer.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » August 11th, 2020, 1:17 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:After extensive research I can confirm that beer in cans/bottles is NEVER as good as proper draught beer.

I agree! Which means that this is a popular opinion.

You may need to conduct further research in this matter.

Watis

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 11th, 2020, 1:18 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:After extensive research I can confirm that beer in cans/bottles is NEVER as good as proper draught beer.

I don't think anyone here is likely to accept your conclusion until we have successfully peer-reviewed your research.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”