Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Come and give us your Unpopular Opinion....

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Re: Come and give us your Unpopular Opinion....

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 20th, 2022, 9:59 pm

I hate SUVs. There's an outbreak of them around these parts. Worst is the 'his 'n' hers' pair sitting on the drive, massive metal beasts. I doubt 1% of them have ever been off road, and they'd probably fall apart if they left tarmac for more than a few yards.
The owners can always justify them of course, but they're just showing off the fact they can splooge tens of thousands on totally unnecessary status symbols, solely used to drop the kids off at school (200 yards away) and drive to some pointless management job in Reading

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 21st, 2022, 1:15 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:I hate SUVs. There's an outbreak of them around these parts. Worst is the 'his 'n' hers' pair sitting on the drive, massive metal beasts. I doubt 1% of them have ever been off road, and they'd probably fall apart if they left tarmac for more than a few yards.
The owners can always justify them of course, but they're just showing off the fact they can splooge tens of thousands on totally unnecessary status symbols, solely used to drop the kids off at school (200 yards away) and drive to some pointless management job in Reading

The most challenging terrain I've encountered was on holiday in Iceland, late 1980s. Well away from made roads, across the volcanic wilderness moonscape.

Our Icelandic guide told us Icelanders wouldn't touch a range rover: they simply couldn't cope. Landrover or Japanese models, yes, but not the archetypal Chelsea Tractor.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » June 21st, 2022, 7:05 am

Snorvey wrote:I think we should just give up on public transport. Buses are horrible inside and out. Trains are appalling and I refuse to be held ransom by a group of people who's job should have been automated years ago.

I mean cars are just nicer to travel in. You can adjust your own environment, music and comfort preferences and it generally takes you pretty close to where you want to be, if not to the door - exactly when you want to. Public transport is dirty, unreliable and the rush hour air you breathe must be close to 80% fart.

Working from home should be encouraged whereever possible and ALL the UK's transport budget should be allocated to cars and road infrastructure. Every train and bus station should be razed to the ground and a muti storey car park built. All roads should be dual carriageway minimum - double decker roads if required.

If you can't drive then Uber it. Even an Uber is nicer than public transport.

The railway system is daft. They are not more enviromentallt friendly. Twice a day they are run at over capacity and then for the remainder of the day they run 4% full. Crazy. Rip up the lines (all that cheap steel!) and build new road networks or leave some to nature to please the eco warriors. Retrain all the railway people to build and maintain roads (you know they'll love it). What a boost to the economy!

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 21st, 2022, 8:45 am

Re Iceland etc ...the farmers back home (rugged Shropshire!)seem to use Land Rovers or battered old Toyota pickups (Hilux etc)

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » June 21st, 2022, 9:07 am

Leothebear wrote:Rip up the lines (all that cheap steel!) and build new road networks or leave some to nature to please the eco warriors.

Scrap the railways AND roads, or leave them in such a state that people would prefer not to travel. Potholes are good for the economy (road menders can retrain as nurses, carers et al), are ecologically sound (they deter travel), and even drivers of Chelsea Tractors dislike them ("My dear, it was simply AWFUL - why doesn't someone do something; these labouring types are simply IDLE. Now, another scone with clotted cream perhaps..")

Instead, throw £££money at full-fibre broadband everywhere. If this ruins the overpriced City restaurants it will do wonders for villages.

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Postby simsqu » June 21st, 2022, 10:00 am

stewamax wrote:
Leothebear wrote:Rip up the lines (all that cheap steel!) and build new road networks or leave some to nature to please the eco warriors.

Scrap the railways AND roads, or leave them in such a state that people would prefer not to travel. Potholes are good for the economy (road menders can retrain as nurses, carers et al), are ecologically sound (they deter travel), and even drivers of Chelsea Tractors dislike them ("My dear, it was simply AWFUL - why doesn't someone do something; these labouring types are simply IDLE. Now, another scone with clotted cream perhaps..")

Instead, throw £££money at full-fibre broadband everywhere. If this ruins the overpriced City restaurants it will do wonders for villages.

Rip up the railway lines, roads, and tramlines. Fill in all canals. Remove all overhead electricity cables, and all underground fibre optics. Get rid of gas mains and the sewage system. Blow up all the satellites, power stations, water treatment plants, oil wells & slaughterhouses

Plough all money into tofu factories.

NURSE!! NURSE!! THE SCREENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 21st, 2022, 12:02 pm

The only allowable car should be a Citroen Ami, which is like a smaller version of the 'Smart' :)
https://www.citroen.co.uk/models/future-models/ami.html
It can't tow a caravan, which is a bonus, and is unsuitable for fatties

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 21st, 2022, 12:31 pm

Snorvey wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:The only allowable car should be a Citroen Ami, which is like a smaller version of the 'Smart' :)

Apparently, in France, you don't need a licence to drive one of them. So while they like to push the image of teenagers gaining their mobility without having to buy a pesky moped, the reality is they're all bought by convicted drink drivers.

But yes, a small personalised transport device like that is all we really need to get around.

Small personalised transport device that can't tow a caravan and is unsuitable for fatties....?

I think that's called a bike ;)

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » June 21st, 2022, 12:32 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:The only allowable car should be a Citroen Ami, which is like a smaller version of the 'Smart' :)

Woah there no no no no, let's not get carried away here - I want to treat myself to a Porsche Cayman before I die, sod the climate.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 21st, 2022, 12:33 pm

Snorvey wrote:But yes, a small personalised transport device like that is all we really need to get around.

One of these perhaps :lol:
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/3560 ... ectric-car
I think Sir Clive was way ahead of his time

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 21st, 2022, 2:50 pm

servodude wrote:Small personalised transport device that can't tow a caravan and is unsuitable for fatties....?

Eh? Nowt wrong with a bike for fatties. Much better than the confined space of any vehicle you sit inside. And as for a caravan ... many examples

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 21st, 2022, 10:10 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
servodude wrote:Small personalised transport device that can't tow a caravan and is unsuitable for fatties....?

Eh? Nowt wrong with a bike for fatties. Much better than the confined space of any vehicle you sit inside. And as for a caravan ... many examples

That took longer than I expected ;)
I think these look fun
https://organictransit.com/

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 22nd, 2022, 1:26 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:And as for a caravan ... many examples

Stirring stuff. How ever did I get this far in life without feeling the urge to buy one of these?
Good healthful fun in headwinds, sidewinds, crosswind, upwind, downwind and embarrassing wind. Comes complete with a sticker that reads: "Keep your distance. Powered by baked beans....."

BJ

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 22nd, 2022, 1:28 pm

Ideal for Glastonbury, avoids all that tent misery. Does it have a loo?

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 22nd, 2022, 2:07 pm

I pity the poor soul who has to pedal :lol:

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » June 22nd, 2022, 2:09 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Ideal for Glastonbury, avoids all that tent misery. Does it have a loo?

Compared with some modern houses, it doesn't look too bad.

It even appears to have an 'upstairs'.

Maybe plant it between you and the neighbour and put a 'For sale' sign up? ;)

Steve

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 22nd, 2022, 2:13 pm

stevensfo wrote:It even appears to have an 'upstairs'.
Steve

Only if a child is "downstairs" and another up above

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » June 22nd, 2022, 2:36 pm

pje16 wrote:
stevensfo wrote:It even appears to have an 'upstairs'.
Steve

Only if a child is "downstairs" and another up above

I heard, many years ago, that the housebuilding companies used special smaller than average furniture when taking photos of the rooms to make the rooms appear bigger.

Admittedly, I have no idea if that is really true.

But put a few moustaches on the kids and voila!

How does the buyer know that the furniture is from your sister's Doll's house? 8-)

Steve

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 22nd, 2022, 2:50 pm

stevensfo wrote:I heard, many years ago, that the housebuilding companies used special smaller than average furniture when taking photos of the rooms to make the rooms appear bigger.
Steve

Only works if the estate agent showing the house gives you special glasses to wear before the viewing :lol:

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 22nd, 2022, 3:37 pm

Snorvey wrote:*it was a clip which contained a lassie feeding a donkey ok?

She made an ass of you there.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”