Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

NatWest quaking in their boots?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

NatWest quaking in their boots?

Postby stevensfo » July 23rd, 2020, 5:03 pm

So you're John Smith, work hard for the firm, make money, keep your nose clean and set a good example.

Mr Snatchit, the big boss returns from his 6 months community service, still paying the fines, gives you a sideways look and says "I think we'll change the name from 'SnatchandGrabit' to 'The John Smith group'. The public has the attention span of a gnat with ADHD, so no worries".

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/rbs-n ... 42771.html

Probably now discover the NWBD Prefs are renamed Enron callable bonds. ;)

Steve

tea42
Lemon Slice

Re: NatWest quaking in their boots?

Postby tea42 » July 23rd, 2020, 5:10 pm

Closed my NatWest account yesterday. Had it since 1966. Terrible service. No one was interested why...

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » July 23rd, 2020, 8:45 pm

Tried to close mine several years ago after they closed my local branch.

But it appears there's no way to shut an account online or by phone. Guess what. You have to visit a branch.

:shock:

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » July 24th, 2020, 8:17 am

gryffron wrote:Tried to close mine several years ago after they closed my local branch.

But it appears there's no way to shut an account online or by phone. Guess what. You have to visit a branch.

Write them a letter. Works wonders.

GS

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » July 24th, 2020, 8:46 am

GoSeigen wrote:
gryffron wrote:Tried to close mine several years ago after they closed my local branch.

Write them a letter. Works wonders.

GS

I was about to suggest the same thing. A letter sent recorded delivery.

Or just don't use it for a few years. It will become dormant and then closed, as I once discovered with an old Barclays account.

Steve

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » July 24th, 2020, 9:04 am

It contains £0.00 and has 0 credit facility. Not worth a stamp! They can do what they like with it. I secure messaged them to say close the account. They replied they couldn't, I had to visit a branch. "But you've closed my branch!"

I was simply mentioning this as an example of their ineptitude.

;)

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » July 24th, 2020, 11:19 am

gryffron wrote:It contains £0.00 and has 0 credit facility. Not worth a stamp! They can do what they like with it. I secure messaged them to say close the account. They replied they couldn't, I had to visit a branch. "But you've closed my branch!"

;)

Ineptitude? The banks? Surely not? :D

I'm just wondering if Nat West will now try to change 'their' name. The NW Bank? It worked for British Petroleum

Steve

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » July 24th, 2020, 11:41 am

stevensfo wrote:
gryffron wrote:It contains £0.00 and has 0 credit facility. Not worth a stamp! They can do what they like with it. I secure messaged them to say close the account. They replied they couldn't, I had to visit a branch. "But you've closed my branch!"

;)

I'm just wondering if Nat West will now try to change 'their' name. The NW Bank? It worked for British Petroleum

Steve

Are you the only person who doesn't know that NatWest is RBS? Or is this thread some elaborate ironic joke that I don't quite get?

GS

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » July 24th, 2020, 12:59 pm

GoSeigen wrote:
stevensfo wrote:

;)

Steve

Are you the only person who doesn't know that NatWest is RBS? Or is this thread some elaborate ironic joke that I don't quite get?

GS

I assume they're part of the RBS group in the same way as iweb and Halifax are part of the Lloyds group. Thus, after reading the article I imagine there are some at Nat West who may not be terribly happy about the RBS name change.

Steve

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 24th, 2020, 3:44 pm

Send them another secure message headed FORMAL COMPLAINT.

Specify your Complaint:, that you wish the a/c closed and point out that in sending them the message you have passed their security, that the a/c is empty (no money laundering issues), and that their response to visit a branch is unreasonable given that they're closed your nearby branch.

Specify your Remedy:, that they close the a/c pronto!

And finish off by saying that you hope to receive their full and final response well before the eight week FOS deadline, and if they don't close the a/c you will be taking the matter to the FOS.

That'll get the matter escalated, and they really don't like adding to their FOS statistics.

Good luck :D

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » July 25th, 2020, 6:45 pm

mc2fool wrote:

Send them another secure message headed FORMAL COMPLAINT.

Specify your Complaint:, that you wish the a/c closed and point out that in sending them the message you have passed their security, that the a/c is empty (no money laundering issues), and that their response to visit a branch is unreasonable given that they're closed your nearby branch.

Specify your Remedy:, that they close the a/c pronto!

And finish off by saying that you hope to receive their full and final response well before the eight week FOS deadline, and if they don't close the a/c you will be taking the matter to the FOS.

That'll get the matter escalated, and they really don't like adding to their FOS statistics.

Good luck :D

Good idea, though I'd be interested to know from a legal point of view how much weight a 'secure message' carries compared to a letter with proof of delivery.

Steve

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”