Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

NHS App

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
jfgw
Lemon Quarter

NHS App

Postby jfgw » September 27th, 2020, 3:29 pm

I had breakfast in Wetherspoon's this morning. The existing check-in system involved scanning a QR code (a medium designed to carry information such as numbers) and then manually enter a four digit number. The new NHS QR code has enough pixels to uniquely identify every square inch of the UK and does not require any additional data to be manually entered.

Now, how do I check out? I checked in this morning and, unless I check in somewhere-else, I am still checked in until midnight. If someone goes to the same venue tonight at 9pm and later tests positive, will I be asked to self-isolate? Can the virus travel back in time?

Julian F. G. W.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: NHS App

Postby bungeejumper » September 27th, 2020, 4:11 pm

I was under the impression that you can check in any time you like, but you can never leave. To coin a phrase. :D

But that "If someone with coronavirus is found to have been at the same venue at a similar time to another user, NHS contact tracers will evaluate the risk level based on the venue type and other details of the case." And then make a decision on whether to come after you.

I dunno really, I haven't been in a pub in seven months, and a Wetherspoons never at all. I don't usually carry a smartphone either. Does that mean I can't get my alcohol fix at 8 am like all the other people queuing outside on the pavement with their families?

BJ

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » September 27th, 2020, 5:24 pm

Our church had the QR codes displayed this morning and a high proportion of people used them to check in. It was surprisingly easy. No, you don't have to check out, but probably Google Maps know how long you were there on your timeline.

TJH

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » September 27th, 2020, 5:32 pm

I thought contract tracers didn't discuss your overlap with someone with a positive test, where you agree a level of exposure and mutually agreed risk and a plan, they just informed you of your legal requirement to isolate. Given they expect to contact you by text email or phone, I don't see much negotiation taking place, thought perhaps you can appeal, but will a text message give enough detail?

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » September 27th, 2020, 6:28 pm

JohnB wrote:I thought contract tracers didn't discuss your overlap with someone with a positive test, where you agree a level of exposure and mutually agreed risk and a plan, they just informed you of your legal requirement to isolate.

Eh? If it is a legal requirement, why do they advise you to isolate as opposed to instruct you to?

Or perhaps they do!

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » September 27th, 2020, 7:18 pm

bungeejumper wrote:I dunno really, I haven't been in a pub in seven months, and a Wetherspoons never at all. I don't usually carry a smartphone either. Does that mean I can't get my alcohol fix at 8 am like all the other people queuing outside on the pavement with their families?

You can give your name and contact number to a human as you go in, who will also ask how long you expect to be there. The older QR code system works in a similar way - you have to guess how long you will be there.

The app does not ask for permission to access GPS data, and (on my 'phone) does not have permission. It cannot, AFAIK, tell when I leave a venue.

Supposedly, data are stored on the 'phone and these are checked against a regularly downloaded list. Data are only uploaded by the app if you use the app to request a test or to enter a test result (which you do using a code). If you ignore advice given by the app to, for example, self-isolate, no-one need know.

Julian F. G. W.

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » September 27th, 2020, 7:39 pm

https://genius.com/Eagles-hotel-california-lyrics

Mirrors on the ceiling
The pink champagne on ice
And she said: "We are all just prisoners here
Of our own device"
And in the master's chambers
They gathered for the feast
They stab it with their steely knives
But they just can't kill the beast
Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back
To the place I was before
"Relax," said the night man
"We are programmed to receive
You can check out any time you like
But you can never leave

Is really about Brexit.

Wetherspoons have some form of non NHS thing that works quite well and just require a number. I have not downloaded the NHS app because I only see pain from that. I had the disease in April and I don't see any reason in government at the moment.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » September 27th, 2020, 9:24 pm

From experience, I know that having Bluetooth switched on drains my phone's battery much more rapidly than when I have it disabled. The NHS app is supposed to add "only" about 5% to the battery usage, but I am assuming that's comparing usage with Bluetooth already active?

If I'm right, my poor old phone will conk out with a drained battery far too frequently with this app, which rather defeats the purpose, plus leaves me without my phone, shopping list, notes, map, etc. etc.. Since I typically prefer to walk or cycle rather than drive, opportunities to recharge are limited when out and about.

I have no need to upgrade my phone, as I don't use Bluetooth for anything else currently, so I suspect that even if I download the app, I won't be using it as it was intended (always on).

VRD

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » September 27th, 2020, 9:28 pm

johnhemming wrote: I have not downloaded the NHS app because I only see pain from that.

What pain do you see exactly, please?

In "The Combustion Chamber" (closed forum for gas engineers) there is virtually unanimous opinion (me excepted) that there is no upside to using the app. The only consequence of downloading and using it is that you will eventually be advised to self-isolate and lose two week's income, so why bother?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 27th, 2020, 9:29 pm

vrdiver wrote:From experience, I know that having Bluetooth switched on drains my phone's battery much more rapidly than when I have it disabled. The NHS app is supposed to add "only" about 5% to the battery usage, but I am assuming that's comparing usage with Bluetooth already active?
VRD

5% of what?

Given the context (a government with the track record of ours, trying to reassure you), I shouldn't be in the least surprised if that's relative to a level of usage most of us will rarely (maybe even never) attain.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » September 27th, 2020, 9:46 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
vrdiver wrote:From experience, I know that having Bluetooth switched on drains my phone's battery much more rapidly than when I have it disabled. The NHS app is supposed to add "only" about 5% to the battery usage, but I am assuming that's comparing usage with Bluetooth already active?
VRD

5% of what?

Given the context (a government with the track record of ours, trying to reassure you), I shouldn't be in the least surprised if that's relative to a level of usage most of us will rarely (maybe even never) attain.

I installed the app and have noticed NO change in battery charging frequency. I'm beginning to wonder if I actually have it turned on.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » September 27th, 2020, 10:37 pm

Mike4 wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:
VRD

5% of what?

I installed the app and have noticed NO change in battery charging frequency. I'm beginning to wonder if I actually have it turned on.

I have been using the Scottish App (Protect Scotland) for a few weeks, with bluetooth on, and haven't noticed any change to my battery charging frequency. I'm using Android 8.1. I understand the app requires version 6 or higher.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 28th, 2020, 1:08 am

scotia wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:
5% of what?

I have been using the Scottish App (Protect Scotland) for a few weeks, with bluetooth on, and haven't noticed any change to my battery charging frequency. I'm using Android 8.1. I understand the app requires version 6 or higher.

For most Androids you can see the recorded usage under:
Settings -> Battery -> Usage
and there will be a list of % battery used since last charge
- there might also be an option to show "full device usage" that will let you see the battery usage of the Bluetooth subsystem

As these apps are essentially just using slow periodic advertisements (and checking the RSSI of those it can see) there should be insignificant battery drain
this is the mode that most BT equipped apps work in in the idle state; eg. when they're looking to see if your headphones, or whatever, have been switched on without actively trying to communicate

I wonder when folk are going to notice that the 2m detection radius is dependent on which pocket you keep your phone in ;)

- sd

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » September 28th, 2020, 6:59 am

Mike4 wrote:
johnhemming wrote: I have not downloaded the NHS app because I only see pain from that.

I am quite happy that if we have symptoms we will self isolate. We think we had the disease in around April this year anyway.

However, we have had a lot of problems when the government have data that is wrong. We have found it really difficult to get it fixed. We don't trust the government to do this properly and do not wish the government to have another opportunity to get some more wrong data about us.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 28th, 2020, 7:14 am

johnhemming wrote:However, we have had a lot of problems when the government have data that is wrong. We have found it really difficult to get it fixed. We don't trust the government to do this properly and do not wish the government to have another opportunity to get some more wrong data about us.

Is that something on which you could elaborate?

That sounds like a credit-score kind of problem, or an incorrectly-defined-postcode kind of problem. Or at worst a criminal-records problem, or a Windrush problem. I'm struggling to see how it arises in a covid context.

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » September 28th, 2020, 7:18 am

Its a government data handling problem.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 28th, 2020, 8:06 am

johnhemming wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

I am quite happy that if we have symptoms we will self isolate. We think we had the disease in around April this year anyway.

However, we have had a lot of problems when the government have data that is wrong. We have found it really difficult to get it fixed. We don't trust the government to do this properly and do not wish the government to have another opportunity to get some more wrong data about us.

First of all you say you had the disease.

Now you "think" you had it?

Have you taken an antibody test? Or did you have a covid test at the time?

We provide both tests and almost everyone who come in for one "thinks" they either have or had covid. The actual positives are running at around 10%.

So I would say unless you have had a test then you have about 90% probability of being wrong.

John

ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Postby ursaminortaur » September 28th, 2020, 8:14 am

johnhemming wrote:https://genius.com/Eagles-hotel-california-lyrics

Mirrors on the ceiling
The pink champagne on ice
And she said: "We are all just prisoners here
Of our own device"
And in the master's chambers
They gathered for the feast
They stab it with their steely knives
But they just can't kill the beast
Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back
To the place I was before
"Relax," said the night man
"We are programmed to receive
You can check out any time you like
But you can never leave

Is really about Brexit.

The UK has already left - so it isn't really about Brexit.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » September 28th, 2020, 9:00 am

So this morning according the the BBC, a new law takes effect where if one is instructed to self isolate by the "Test and Trace" service, or by the NHS app, one is obliged to do so or be fined £1,000.

"The Combustion Chamber" (closed forum for gas technicians) thread on the subject is awash with self-employed plumbers saying there is no upside to them downloading the app so they simply won't be installing it on their phones. They are not prepared to risk using it and having it tell them to stop working and suffer two weeks loss of income.

I can imagine people up and down the land in all manner of occupations thinking along these lines, and the 10m downloads of the app so far are quite probably all that are going to happen.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 28th, 2020, 9:11 am

Mike4 wrote:So this morning according the the BBC, a new law takes effect where if one is instructed to self isolate by the "Test and Trace" service, or by the NHS app, one is obliged to do so or be fined £1,000

This NHS App uses the Google/Apple BT API created for the purpose, which doesn't record any personal data.
So I'm a bit suspicious about their intended way of policing that.

-sd

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”