Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

BBC Spoty 2020

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Beerpig
Lemon Slice

BBC Spoty 2020

Postby Beerpig » December 17th, 2020, 9:44 am

I can hardly believe it has come around already but on Sunday night is BBC TV Sports Personality of the Year.

The four main contenders are Lewis Hamilton, Ronnie Sullivan, Hollie Doyle, Tyson Fury and Jordan Henderson.
Lewis Hamilton is incredibly short (oddswise) trading at 4/1 (on) is put a fiver on and get £6.25 back if he wins.
He's the clearly the best/most consistent driver of an elite bunch in the fastest and most reliable car - although the jury may be out as to how much is down to the car after a virtual unknown stood in for him a couple of weeks ago and almost won. Hamilton is a worthy favourite but 1/4 does not float my boat.

Could be Ronnie O'Sullivan although snooker doe not have the following it used to and while he is a well known 'name' in the sport- and a very successful one too - I cannot recall a single really, really outstanding achievement and/or interview that mark him out as a personality. He could be placed but 8/1 on the win doesn't tempt me.

Tyson Fury (generally 16/1) is the best for next year, if, as expected, he defeats Joshua. Jordan Henderson (generally 12/1) might squeak a place with the Liverpool supporters behind him- Fools will recall the surge of support that carried the 'dedicated family man' to the award a few years ago.

The competition is known for its surprises (and its secrecy in the voting) and wanting to have an interest I've had a fiver on Hollie Doyle, the jockey, at 22/1 win only. I took it a couple of weeks ago. She is down to generally 12's-14's now and probably stands no chance however this has been a year of little sport, there will be a large audience on Sunday night, people might look at the stardust already on Hamilton and think someone else deserves a go and Hollie Doyle, the housewives choice, could finish with a rattle.
A P McCoy won it a few years ago and there's plenty of us racing fans out there watching.

Good luck Holly.
At least you are in the line up.

didds
Lemon Half

Re: BBC Spoty 2020

Postby didds » December 17th, 2020, 9:49 am

Beerpig wrote:I.... that mark him out as a personality...

Isnt this the long laboured point though? SPOTY isnt about "personalities" - its actually (at least over time) about acheivements. The BBC have merely been lumbered with a title nobody really considered the full meaning off all those decades ago.

didds

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » December 17th, 2020, 9:54 am

Beerpig wrote:
The competition is known for its surprises (and its secrecy in the voting) and wanting to have an interest I've had a fiver on Hollie Doyle, the jockey, at 22/1 win only. I took it a couple of weeks ago. She is down to generally 12's-14's now and probably stands no chance however this has been a year of little sport, there will be a large audience on Sunday night, people might look at the stardust already on Hamilton and think someone else deserves a go and Hollie Doyle, the housewives choice, could finish with a rattle.
A P McCoy won it a few years ago and there's plenty of us racing fans out there watching.

Good luck Holly.
At least you are in the line up.

Came 4th in the standings in her sport, with many having a better strike rate too. I wonder how those "better" than her, on those measures will feel were she to win it.

WrongLicence388
Lemon Pip

Postby WrongLicence388 » December 17th, 2020, 10:25 am

Tyson Fury instructed his lawyers, unsuccessfully, to take him off the shortlist.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/55302097

It wouldn't surprise me if this show of anti-establishment does him some favours amongst voters.

The age old argument about Hamilton will rage on, maybe however this should be the year (instead of 2014) that he wins it. It is after all this year in which he has broken many F1 records.

C.

Beerpig
Lemon Slice

Postby Beerpig » December 18th, 2020, 4:00 pm

" The Hollie and the Telly"

Well blow me down it looks like she is going to do this.
Hollie Doyle's odds have crashed from 22/1 to 3 or 4/1 second favourite with Lewis Hamilton out to 8/15 best (from 1/6 on!)
And there's still two days to go, one of which is live TV Racing tomorrow where her cause will be championed by all the TV stations to the hoards of people watching the racing because they cant go to the pub.
The rush of money is greater than anything I have ever witnessed in this market and Ive been following it for over 20 years.
She could easily be beaten- Hamilton is still odds-on - and the value has nearly gone but money talks doesn't it?
We'll see.
Got her in a double with HRVY for 'strictly' as well but that is a bit of a long shot.
Happy punting all!

elkay
Lemon Slice

Postby elkay » December 19th, 2020, 12:02 am

didds wrote:
Beerpig wrote:I.... that mark him out as a personality...

Isnt this the long laboured point though? SPOTY isnt about "personalities" - its actually (at least over time) about acheivements. The BBC have merely been lumbered with a title nobody really considered the full meaning off all those decades ago.

didds

If it was really about achievements; then the record-breaking 6-time running World SuperBike champ, who was a close runner up a few years ago after winning his third title, would be on the shortlist. Any other achievers this year that might have merited a place on the shortlist?

WrongLicence388
Lemon Pip

Postby WrongLicence388 » December 19th, 2020, 1:35 am

James Anderson. 600 Test wickets, more test wickets than any other fast bowler in the history of the game.

C.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » December 19th, 2020, 8:43 am

Oisin Murphy - Champion Jockey?
William Buick - Runner-Up, Best Strike Rate?
Tom Marquand - 3rd Place, Highest Return to Level Stakes?

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » January 1st, 2021, 12:55 pm

dealtn wrote:Oisin Murphy - Champion Jockey?
William Buick - Runner-Up, Best Strike Rate?
Tom Marquand - 3rd Place, Highest Return to Level Stakes?

Tom and Hollie announce their engagement.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/55506847

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”