Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Done the deed

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Done the deed

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 25th, 2020, 10:23 pm

Unfortunately I can't find it. Someone on Lemonfool - buried in some longer thread, probably in the snug - suggested submitting a tax return on Christmas day. I thought it an excellent suggestion, and I've just done the deed. All straightforward: it just involved logging in to a few accounts to find the (very small) numbers, and I'm now due a modest rebate.

Interrupted by getting my evening meal and a glass of very pleasant wine. I wanted to raise the glass to the Fool who suggested it, but sadly I don't recollect who it was (I *think* it was one of our ladies). If you'd like to step forward, or if someone can find the thread, please accept my gratitude.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Done the deed

Postby bungeejumper » December 26th, 2020, 9:15 am

The Search facility is in chocolate teapot territory, unfortunately, but Google (https://www.google.com/search?q=%22tax+ ... +Lemonfool)
suggests that it was this thread: viewtopic.php?f=94&p=364479

And that Bouleversee did it in the library with the paper knife, before covering her tracks and leaving the scene without a trace. Maybe it's me, but I can't find it there either?

Happy Boxing Day anyway, Uncle E. :D

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 26th, 2020, 10:16 am

bungeejumper wrote:The Search facility is in chocolate teapot territory, unfortunately, but Google (https://www.google.com/search?q=%22tax+ ... +Lemonfool)
suggests that it was this thread: viewtopic.php?f=94&p=364479

And that Bouleversee did it in the library with the paper knife, before covering her tracks and leaving the scene without a trace. Maybe it's me, but I can't find it there either?

Happy Boxing Day anyway, Uncle E. :D

BJ

My recollection has Bouleversee down as #1 suspect, but not in a Unilever thread - which I hadn't even looked at before you suggested it!

I too failed to find it with google. If I had found it, I'd've posted a followup rather than a new thread.

Anyway, thanks for trying!

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 26th, 2020, 10:47 am

It wasn't me.

Hope that helps... :lol:

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 26th, 2020, 10:48 am

Mike4 wrote:It wasn't me.

It would help a lot more if you'd service my boiler ...

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 26th, 2020, 10:52 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:

Is it playing up then?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 26th, 2020, 10:58 am

Mike4 wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:

Is it playing up then?

Pressure remains low, hovering around 0.5 bar. And it sometimes plays sillybuggers when I'm in the shower: takes its time to warm up, then goes cold again, before finally warming up and staying warm. That's a pattern I've encountered before, but not for quite a few years before moving here.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » December 26th, 2020, 11:26 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:It would help a lot more if you'd service my boiler ...

Is it playing up then?

Pressure remains low, hovering around 0.5 bar. And it sometimes plays sillybuggers when I'm in the shower: takes its time to warm up, then goes cold again, before finally warming up and staying warm. That's a pattern I've encountered before, but not for quite a few years before moving here.

I know exactly what's wrong with it. It's knackered [My bad]

Always happens at Christmas though.

AiY

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » December 29th, 2020, 10:41 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Unfortunately I can't find it. Someone on Lemonfool - buried in some longer thread, probably in the snug - suggested submitting a tax return on Christmas day. I thought it an excellent suggestion, and I've just done the deed. All straightforward: it just involved logging in to a few accounts to find the (very small) numbers, and I'm now due a modest rebate.

Interrupted by getting my evening meal and a glass of very pleasant wine. I wanted to raise the glass to the Fool who suggested it, but sadly I don't recollect who it was (I *think* it was one of our ladies). If you'd like to step forward, or if someone can find the thread, please accept my gratitude.

I don't think I actually suggested anyone else should do it but I did say somewhere, probably on a coronavirus thread, that since I would be home alone at Christmas, I planned to use the time to get my records up to date and prepare my tax return. Alas, that didn't work out. I had to deliver a present locally which involved much wind screen scraping and spraying, and by the time I got back it was time for the family zoom meeting, which took up a lot of time, partly due to technical difficulties, then it was time for lunch and the Queen's speech and the odd 'phone call, and then I developed a headache and was in bed before 9. Greater alas! I still haven't started on it or cleared my desk. The road to hell, etc.

However, I'm pleased if I prompted you to get it out of your hair. My new year's resolution is to stop spending time posting on these boards apart from essentials and then I might get a lot more done.

Happy New Year to everyone!

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 29th, 2020, 10:52 pm

Bouleversee wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Unfortunately I can't find it. Someone on Lemonfool - buried in some longer thread, probably in the snug - suggested submitting a tax return on Christmas day. I thought it an excellent suggestion, and I've just done the deed. All straightforward: it just involved logging in to a few accounts to find the (very small) numbers, and I'm now due a modest rebate.

I don't think I actually suggested anyone else should do it but I did say somewhere, probably on a coronavirus thread, that since I would be home alone at Christmas, I planned to use the time to get my records up to date and prepare my tax return. Alas, that didn't work out. I had to deliver a present locally which involved much wind screen scraping and spraying, and by the time I got back it was time for the family zoom meeting, which took up a lot of time, partly due to technical difficulties, then it was time for lunch and the Queen's speech and the odd 'phone call, and then I developed a headache and was in bed before 9. Greater alas! I still haven't started on it or cleared my desk. The road to hell, etc.

However, I'm pleased if I prompted you to get it out of your hair. My new year's resolution is to stop spending time posting on these boards apart from essentials and then I might get a lot more done.

Thanks for stepping up and confirming my uncertain suspicion. Indeed, I wasn't at all sure where your suggestion stood on a scale from jest to earnest, but it suited me ;)

Sorry to hear it wasn't a good time for you, and definitely a bad time to raise that glass. I hope your new years resolution comes in moderation so we won't lose you: I should do similar, but in the absence of any normal social life, I feel I have at least something of an excuse for wasting time here.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » December 29th, 2020, 11:02 pm

Bouleversee wrote:

Essentials? I may just ask for clarity on that :lol: . Maybe I'd suggest, nay even put the words in your mouth ... if you enjoy posting then post away. There will be time to do your tax returns in the next life :)

Happy New Year ... may the road rise up to meet your feet and be full of friendship and love

AiY

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » December 29th, 2020, 11:23 pm

Uncle E- Never a bad time to raise a glass.

AiY - Essentials such as asking questions about the many things I don't know. My main worry is that I may find myself in that afterlife having left my affairs in such a mess that my sprogs would hate me forever more. Far too much on my plate.
The road (or rather the floor or garden) has risen up to meet my face a couple of times recently when I have tripped over something. No harm done, fortunately.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » December 29th, 2020, 11:34 pm

In a previous life before I retired I was a tax inspector. I was there when self assessment was introduced but luckily I'd left by the time filing online was introduced. When we received tax returns dated 25th Dec. the initial response was "sad git" this year I think well it's one way of passing an otherwise boring day. Mind you these days I'm gamekeeper turned poacher.
Here's hoping that 2021 is 100% improvement in 2020 and may you all enjoy a really fantastic year.

R6

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » December 29th, 2020, 11:57 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Uncle E- Never a bad time to raise a glass.

AiY - Essentials such as asking questions about the many things I don't know. My main worry is that I may find myself in that afterlife having left my affairs in such a mess that my sprogs would hate me forever more. Far too much on my plate.
The road (or rather the floor or garden) has risen up to meet my face a couple of times recently when I have tripped over something. No harm done, fortunately.

My Mum is 79. Last year she rang to say she had fallen over. I was 125 miles away at work and visited her on my way home. She'd slipped on ice when "under the influence" and face planted her driveway. Hmm ... of course I can be flippant about it now.

And I have great confidence in saying this ... I know far less than you ... and what I do know isn't worth knowing :lol:

Yes I agree. Leave your affairs in order. But if I may ... don't leave until we've approved :lol:

Take very good care

AiY

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 30th, 2020, 1:41 am

Sticking to tax affairs, I did my online tax return in June or July, and paid the balance just before Christmas, just to get it out of my hair and just after the kindly HMRC sent me reminder that the balance was due at the end of January. I thought I would help the nation's finances so paid it then.

I could not leave filing the return until Christmas.

Dod

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 30th, 2020, 8:53 am

I gather the accountants' associations and federations are pleading with HMRC to allow a bit of grace this year before they declare a tax return to be late/fine-able. The alleged cause, predictably, is Covid. It's not so much that the bug has knocked a lot of decent upstanding people into lala-land for months at a time, but rather that the accountants themselves have been struggling with Covid-related staff downtime, so they're sweating a bit about the 31st January deadline.

My own accountant says his team have had a pretty normal year, mainly working from home (as accountants can so easily do). But even so, I sent him my self-assessment info in mid-November, together with my negligibly small self-employed records, and he says he's unlikely to get round to doing my form till mid-January. Well, if he's late he can pay my fine himself. (As a previous company accountant once did.)

How much longer would the profession like to have before the HMRC axe falls on late presenters' necks? End of March would be nice, apparently. Yeah, right. :roll: Don't get your hopes up.

BJ

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 30th, 2020, 9:25 am

Back when my affairs required I filled in a self assessment, but were still relatively simple, I used to attempt to get it submitted before lunchtime on the 6th of April. Succeeded a few times, once completing it before I got out of bed.

Scott.

madhatter
Lemon Slice

Postby madhatter » December 30th, 2020, 9:43 am

Also prompted by the recent post, I “did” mine yesterday, which was the first time using the online thing. My tax affairs are simple but I still found navigation of the online site awkward at first, and nearly put some information in the wrong place!

An accountant who used to run an office a few doors down used to find a few of his clients seemed to regard the tax deadline as a reasonable time to send the information to him, who would then have to scramble to process these particular folk at the last few days, sometimes even driving across London in the evening to get the paper forms delivered and time stamped in time!

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 30th, 2020, 9:47 am

swill453 wrote:Back when my affairs required I filled in a self assessment, but were still relatively simple, I used to attempt to get it submitted before lunchtime on the 6th of April. Succeeded a few times, once completing it before I got out of bed.

We can generally get my wife's returns done in 45 minutes online. Although she has revenue streams of four different types. The hassle is usually that the revenue has messed about with the forms (again), so that you spend ages trying to work out how they classify things this year, as distinct from last year.

Last year's big challenge was to explain how a small company director could be paid without having a PAYE code and number (which was apparently required, but can in fact be ignored). The year before that, it was working out how to enter a null amount. Should it be £0, or £0.00, or nil, or not applicable, or a space mark, or no entry at all? (Some forms wanted one, while others would settle only for something else.)

My, what fun we had bouncing our poor addled brains off all the error messages. More fun than the Christmas crossword. Can't wait to go through all that again. :(

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 30th, 2020, 1:43 pm

swill453 wrote:Back when my affairs required I filled in a self assessment, but were still relatively simple, I used to attempt to get it submitted before lunchtime on the 6th of April. Succeeded a few times, once completing it before I got out of bed.

Scott.

Back in the days when I had large amounts (peaking at nearly £10k in three years on income north of £80k) to reclaim, I tried to submit as early as possible. But I never had all the necessary paperwork - nor indeed its equivalent in terms of bank statements, employer statements, etc, until one to two months later.

This year's £270 at zero interest rate is worth having, but the timing of such a small amount is neither here nor there.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”