Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Using the title Lord or Lady?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Re: Using the title Lord or Lady?

Postby Gerry557 » January 11th, 2021, 10:34 am

I have some plots of land available on Belper 22. Tell me what Title you wish to hold and I can point you to the correct plot.

His magnificence, the chief ruler and monarch, Emperor and High King, Sultan and Sinhasanadhishwar, Commander of the Belper Army and His Excellency the president of Belper ............ is currently on special offer!

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 11th, 2021, 10:44 am

Gerry557 wrote:I have some plots of land available on Belper 22. Tell me what Title you wish to hold and I can point you to the correct plot.

His magnificence, the chief ruler and monarch, Emperor and High King, Sultan and Sinhasanadhishwar, Commander of the Belper Army and His Excellency the president of Belper ............ is currently on special offer!

Is that from Carry On Up Yours?

-- my Excellency Sir Loin of Cloff, Satrap of the Unwary, Lord Archbishop of night soil.

anon155742
Lemon Slice

Postby anon155742 » January 11th, 2021, 1:47 pm

In this day and age you can just use any title and say they are your pronouns.

Rather than he/him some seriously use xe/him or ze/zem or they/they.

So just use the same reasoning. Rather than he/him use "his excellency"/"the noble Emperor of the Dominion of Hull"

They now sometimes ask for your pronouns of forms so you can have fun

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » January 11th, 2021, 4:11 pm

richlist wrote:We have someone in our family who has done exactly what the OP is considering. I think they own a very, very small plot of land in Scotland and are entitled to use the title Lady. Apparently they have a lot of fun with it. Whilst they can't e.g. change the name in their driving licence or passport they do enjoy booking tickets & hotels using the title Lady. I'm not aware if its resulted in any special treatment when attending events of using accomodation......I'll have ask them.

Apparently the same person has a plot of land on the moon, issued by the boss up there ' The Big Cheese'. I understand there are still some plots available (near the Sea of Tranquility) but unfortunately they don't come with any titles.......only mineral and mining rights. Get in quick.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » January 11th, 2021, 4:14 pm

richlist wrote:
richlist wrote:We have someone in our family who has done exactly what the OP is considering. I think they own a very, very small plot of land in Scotland and are entitled to use the title Lady. Apparently they have a lot of fun with it. Whilst they can't e.g. change the name in their driving licence or passport they do enjoy booking tickets & hotels using the title Lady. I'm not aware if its resulted in any special treatment when attending events of using accomodation......I'll have ask them.

Apparently the same person has a plot of land on the moon, issued by the boss up there ' The Big Cheese'. I understand there are still some plots available (near the Sea of Tranquility) but unfortunately they don't come with any titles.......only mineral and mining rights. Get in quick.

I bought my Dad a "moon plot" about 35 years ago as a Christmas present. As far as I know he still hasn't visited it.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » January 11th, 2021, 5:35 pm

anon155742 wrote:Rather than he/him some seriously use xe/him or ze/zem or they/they.

I know a guy called Michael, who prefers to be called Mike. We humour him. It's polite and costs us nothing.

SteelCamel
2 Lemon pips

Postby SteelCamel » January 11th, 2021, 6:13 pm

Well, as near as an official answer as you can get, from Lord Lyon:
https://web.archive.org/web/20120728090955/http://www.lyon-court.com/lordlyon/776.html
The term ‘laird’ has generally been applied to the owner of an estate, sometimes by the owner himself or, more commonly, by those living and working on the estate. It is a description rather than a title, and is not appropriate for the owner of a normal residential property, far less the owner of a small souvenir plot of land. The term ‘laird’ is not synonymous with that of ‘lord’ or ‘lady’. Ownership of a souvenir plot of land is not sufficient to bring a person otherwise ineligible within the jurisdiction of the Lord Lyon for the purpose of seeking a grant of arms.

On the other hand, "laird" isn't a title protected by law, so there's nothing stopping you calling yourself that if you want - but buying a plot of land adds nothing to that fact.

Also it's somewhat dubious that these companies are even really selling land - since these plots can't be registered, which is required to enforce ownership rights, the "ownership" is debatable.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » January 11th, 2021, 6:46 pm

Does that mean that I cannot officially be Laird of grid reference ND 00687 33392 or similar?

How about if I change my name?

First name: Duke
Second name: Of
Surname: Essex

Julian F. G. W.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » January 11th, 2021, 6:49 pm

It doesn't matter where you go these days there is always someone who wants to play party pooper, poor cold water on whatever bit of harmless fun some of us try to have and shout bah humbug. It's been an awful 9 months and I've no doubt the next 9 months is not gonna be anything to write home about.

My family member is gonna continue to have fun using their 'Lady' title with impunity regardless of anyone who wants to remind us that it's worthless.

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » January 12th, 2021, 12:29 am

What is the point of buying the plot that is 1 ft sq if you already own land, my back garden is much larger than 1 sq ft so I presume I can now claim to be the Grand Laird of Leith (It is all of 780 sq ft, by the standards of the 1sq ft lot a veritable grand estate)

I also have my 2/3rds acres in Sweden, can I also become a Jarl (Like in Vikings)?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 12th, 2021, 7:51 am

Charlottesquare wrote: I also have my 2/3rds acres in Sweden, can I also become a Jarl (Like in Vikings)?

You could even use the English spelling "Earl".

Or is that a Churlish suggestion to a Jock?

anon155742
Lemon Slice

Postby anon155742 » January 12th, 2021, 2:51 pm

BobbyD wrote:I know a guy called Michael, who prefers to be called Mike. We humour him. It's polite and costs us nothing.

I know a individual called Michael, who prefers to be called Mike. Xie humour yo. It's polite and costs us nothing.

Removed the offensive gendered language

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » January 12th, 2021, 9:11 pm

anon155742 wrote:
BobbyD wrote:I know a guy called Michael, who prefers to be called Mike. We humour him. It's polite and costs us nothing.

I know a individual called Michael, who prefers to be called Mike. Xie humour yo. It's polite and costs us nothing.

Removed the offensive gendered language

He'd be offended at being referred to in gender neutral terms...

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » January 13th, 2021, 9:52 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Gerry557 wrote:I have some plots of land available on Belper 22. Tell me what Title you wish to hold and I can point you to the correct plot.

Is that from Carry On Up Yours?

-- my Excellency Sir Loin of Cloff, Satrap of the Unwary, Lord Archbishop of night soil.

Unfortunately not, theirs would be much more funny. I just made up but I can put it on ebay if there are willing payers - I will accept shares or unit trusts transfers if you don't have cash. :D

sunnyjoe
Lemon Slice

Postby sunnyjoe » January 13th, 2021, 10:30 pm

Mike4 wrote:
dealtn wrote:
Mike4 wrote:I'm pretty sure Ozzy Osbourne claimed the title "Price of Darkness" for himself way back in the 70s!

Wasn't that a certain "Vincent" in those horror films I wasn't allowed to watch as a wee nipper?

I think you're right....

But on re-reading and seeing my spelling mistake, I claim for myself the (similar but less scary) title "Price of Darkness" lol!

Are you an electrician?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 13th, 2021, 10:58 pm

sunnyjoe wrote:Are you an electrician?

יְהִי אוֹר‎

How many lemonfools does it take to change a light bulb?

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 13th, 2021, 11:28 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:

יְהִי אוֹר‎

...an African or European "lamp"?

- sd

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » January 14th, 2021, 10:42 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:

יְהִי אוֹר‎

Dunno.

But how many Trump supporters does it take to change a lightbulb?

Answer: None. Trump just tells them he's changed it, and they all cheer in the dark.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » January 14th, 2021, 3:08 pm

dealtn wrote:
Mike4 wrote:I'm pretty sure Ozzy Osbourne claimed the title "Prince of Darkness" for himself way back in the 70s!

Wasn't that a certain "Vincent" in those horror films I wasn't allowed to watch as a wee nipper?

Oh those old 'Hammer House of Horror' films? Or the alternative title 'Made on a budget of two pounds with ketchup and red lipstick as special effects'? ;)

As soon as they were legally able, or maybe before, my parents let me babysit my young sisters every Saturday night while they enjoyed themselves, so I became quite an expert on those films. Some were scary, but most were terrible. Good old Vincent was famous for his very distinctive voice more than anything.

I think the Prince of Darkness was probably Christopher Lee as Dracula. He always seemed to play opposite Peter Cushing. I once read that they became good friends but the make-up and plots were so ridiculous that they kept bursting into laughter while filming.

I did learn something though. You can guarantee that whenever your car/carriage breaks down at night during a thunderstorm, there will always be a nearby castle where you can seek shelter! 8-)

Steve

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 14th, 2021, 11:13 pm

stevensfo wrote:... I did learn something though. You can guarantee that whenever your car/carriage breaks down at night during a thunderstorm, there will always be a nearby castle where you can seek shelter! 8-)

Someone should write a song about that scenario. It could include:

“There’s a light, over at the Frankenstein place ...”.

https://youtu.be/7T22XVzoCLA

With the added delight of Susan Sarandon.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”