Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Compass Group

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Re: Compass Group

Postby Arborbridge » January 14th, 2021, 11:32 am

vagrantbrain wrote: The levels of entitlement in this country are getting ridiculous.

Well said. I've always that it is ridiculous that top executives are paid multi millions in what they call "compensation" for getting out of bed in the morning. And when they make a complete horlicks of it, get further compensation when they are fired :lol:

Let's bear down on this feeling of entitlement and help the poorer members of society where poverty is still rife.

Arb.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » January 14th, 2021, 11:32 am

ReformedCharacter wrote:[
I don't think the school catering companies are that organised, I expect the decision about what goes in the packages are made rather lower down the 'food-chain'. As far as I'm aware schools are responsible for delivering food, not catering companies.

Surely though these companies are not waiting for daily instructions from schools as to what goes into each box??

Surely these companies make that call - schools have absolved themselves of that onerous task?

Or do you mean (fair enough) the boxes from the comnpanies get delivered to the schools who then deliver them appropriately? So another level of possible fraud again.

Summary : I've still not seen any evidence as to where such fraud is allegedly occuring. could be at the top. could be with whoever is delivering. could be somebody inbetween.

didds

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 14th, 2021, 11:38 am

ReformedCharacter wrote:
vagrantbrain wrote:The same parents who are happy to feed them crap like chicken nuggets and chips every night are now complaining that the free food they've been given somehow isn't good enough.

With respect, I think your prejudices are getting the better of you. Not all poor parents feed their children 'crap like chicken nuggets and chips every night', which isn't to deny that some parents serve their children poorly. Although I seem to recall that Turkey Twizzlers were commonly fed to children by school caterers before being discontinued.

There's a key point here, which is that not all parents classed as "poor" are the same. I'm sure most do their best. But the children in real poverty are either those that fall outside the system (to whom food parcels delivered by the system are obviously irrelevant), or those whose parents are hopeless cases and would just spend any extra money on some harmful addiction.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 14th, 2021, 11:38 am

It seems that the cost of this tiny package of food is the problem. In my view, any of these "mums" could have provided a better provision for their children if a food voucher of equivalent cost.
It's the inflated price and extortion which has horrified people - and it's extortion of our money via the tax system.

And Boriska had a real own goal yesterday, and fell to the old one-two from the leader of the opposition. Having made a flamboyant statement about the appalling nature of the photograph, it then became clear that what was in the parcel wasn't so much different from the government's recommendation. In effect he comdemned himself out of his own mouth.

Arb.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » January 14th, 2021, 11:58 am

didds wrote:
Surely though these companies are not waiting for daily instructions from schools as to what goes into each box??
Surely these companies make that call - schools have absolved themselves of that onerous task?

No, the caterers are under contract and they decide; and it isn't necessarily that the schools have 'absolved themselves', they may be tied into a PFI contract and have no choice in the matter, apart from complaining to the caterers.

didds wrote:
Or do you mean (fair enough) the boxes from the comnpanies get delivered to the schools who then deliver them appropriately? So another level of possible fraud again.

Summary : I've still not seen any evidence as to where such fraud is allegedly occuring. could be at the top. could be with whoever is delivering. could be somebody inbetween.

didds

Can't speak for all schools, but typically AFAIK instead of the caterers producing a hot meal for the children at school, they put food in a package and they are either picked up by the parents or in some cases delivered by school staff. I've not heard any allegations of fraud as such, just poor value and nutrition.

RC

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » January 14th, 2021, 12:14 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:[ I've not heard any allegations of fraud as such, just poor value and nutrition.

RC

well they are either buying apples that are £2 each, or somebody is putting that cash ... somewhere... ?

didds

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 14th, 2021, 12:49 pm

didds wrote:
ReformedCharacter wrote:[ I've not heard any allegations of fraud as such, just poor value and nutrition.

RC

well they are either buying apples that are £2 each, or somebody is putting that cash ... somewhere... ?

didds

What was the cost to the school/tax payer of the package shown? I heard £30 bandied about, but I'd like to know for sure. I saw a headmaster relating that he was going down to the shops to buy food for his school because it was a big cost saving. If that's so, there is certainly "poor value" going on - and a headmaster having to waste his time.

Arb.

vagrantbrain
Lemon Slice

Postby vagrantbrain » January 14th, 2021, 12:49 pm

Arborbridge wrote:It seems that the cost of this tiny package of food is the problem. In my view, any of these "mums" could have provided a better provision for their children if a food voucher of equivalent cost.
It's the inflated price and extortion which has horrified people - and it's extortion of our money via the tax system.

And Boriska had a real own goal yesterday, and fell to the old one-two from the leader of the opposition. Having made a flamboyant statement about the appalling nature of the photograph, it then became clear that what was in the parcel wasn't so much different from the government's recommendation. In effect he comdemned himself out of his own mouth.

Arb.

The problem is that you give someone a voucher then you're apparently stigmatising them for being poor and trying to control what they spend it on. Give someone cash and apparently you're abandoning children by not ensuring they're fed.

What's horrified people locally to me is not the cost but that they need to go to the school to pick the food up as they've stopped deliveries to anyone who isn't shielding or physically unable to get there. It's not safe to stand outside in a queue in case you catch covid but it is ok to stand in groups gossiping at the school gates, or pop in to the neighbours for a quick cuppa dontcha know. Not to mention the complaints that somehow the government is denying them money they're entitled to by providing food.
Last edited by vagrantbrain on January 14th, 2021, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vagrantbrain
Lemon Slice

Postby vagrantbrain » January 14th, 2021, 12:55 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
didds wrote:

RC

didds

What was the cost to the school/tax payer of the package shown? I heard £30 bandied about, but I'd like to know for sure. I saw a headmaster relating that he was going down to the shops to buy food for his school because it was a big cost saving. If that's so, there is certainly "poor value" going on - and a headmaster having to waste his time.

Arb.

£10.50 as stated in the BBC link posted below. The woman making the fuss "thought" it cost £30 and "thought" it was to last 2 weeks. As usual the reality is sidelined in favour of what people think happened when there's an opportunity to criticise the government.

"The mother, who is disabled, had thought it was supposed to last 10 school days and should have been worth £30."

"Chartwells, the company that provided the parcel, said it was actually only intended to last one school week and had cost £10.50 for food, packing and distribution."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55641740

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 14th, 2021, 12:59 pm

vagrantbrain wrote:
What's horrified people locally to me is not the cost but that they need to go to the school to pick the food up as they've stopped deliveries to anyone who isn't shielding or physically unable to get there. It's not safe to stand outside in a queue in case you catch covid but it is ok to stand in groups gossiping at the school gates, or pop in to the neighbours for a quick cuppa dontcha know

Yes, there was one mum working from home who questioned whether it was worth a long drive to pick up an insulting food package. It would be OK in a local school where people are within walking distance, but I think they are few and far between now.

The social distancing discipline is another problem on top of that. Most people might be ok, but the natural tendency on people who know one another is to stand and chat - human nature. Then they start edging a bit closer and before you know it, everyone's social distancing has broken down.

Not sure about popping in for a cuppa - no doubt it happens. Many people just don't "geddit" and do not see the connection between our individual behaviour and the numbers of dead.

On the whole, where I live, people are super polite when passing in the street. I hate to say it, but most recent incidents to the contrary have been perpetrated by late teens early twenties who have almost brushed past me, they were that close. I put it down to the fact that one becomes invisible when older, so I don't exist in the field of view.
Having said that, I've met many teens who have been extremely polited and considerate on footpaths or pavements.

A bit off the subject.... but I got started!

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 14th, 2021, 1:01 pm

vagrantbrain wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:
didds wrote:

didds

Arb.

£10.50 as stated in the BBC link posted below. The woman making the fuss "thought" it cost £30 and "thought" it was to last 2 weeks. As usual the reality is sidelined in favour of what people think happened when there's an opportunity to criticise the government.

"The mother, who is disabled, had thought it was supposed to last 10 school days and should have been worth £30."

"Chartwells, the company that provided the parcel, said it was actually only intended to last one school week and had cost £10.50 for food, packing and distribution."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55641740

Thanks for that. I note that was from Chartwells - it would be nice to hear confirmation of that cost from the bill payer. Not that I'm a cynic :) - just trying to see all angles.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 14th, 2021, 3:23 pm

Just to add, that by coincidence this afternoon, I walked our local school when parents were waiting for their little darlings to come out. It's comforting to report that social distancing was very good with zero huddles of people. It makes for a very long queue!

Full marks from me.

Arb.

vagrantbrain
Lemon Slice

Postby vagrantbrain » January 14th, 2021, 5:45 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
vagrantbrain wrote:
What's horrified people locally to me is not the cost but that they need to go to the school to pick the food up as they've stopped deliveries to anyone who isn't shielding or physically unable to get there. It's not safe to stand outside in a queue in case you catch covid but it is ok to stand in groups gossiping at the school gates, or pop in to the neighbours for a quick cuppa dontcha know

Yes, there was one mum working from home who questioned whether it was worth a long drive to pick up an insulting food package. It would be OK in a local school where people are within walking distance, but I think they are few and far between now.

The social distancing discipline is another problem on top of that. Most people might be ok, but the natural tendency on people who know one another is to stand and chat - human nature. Then they start edging a bit closer and before you know it, everyone's social distancing has broken down.

Not sure about popping in for a cuppa - no doubt it happens. Many people just don't "geddit" and do not see the connection between our individual behaviour and the numbers of dead.

On the whole, where I live, people are super polite when passing in the street. I hate to say it, but most recent incidents to the contrary have been perpetrated by late teens early twenties who have almost brushed past me, they were that close. I put it down to the fact that one becomes invisible when older, so I don't exist in the field of view.
Having said that, I've met many teens who have been extremely polited and considerate on footpaths or pavements.

A bit off the subject.... but I got started!

Arb.

Sadly i'm in the NW at the moment and it's obvious why rates have been stubbornly high for many months now. I'm also in the school Facebook and Whatsapp groups (not through choice) and i'd love to say it's a small minority that are taking the piss but it's genuinely not - the amount of playdates, parties and pissups being blatantly organised is just bonkers. And from the same people who then shout loudest it's too dangerous to go to school, we need stronger lockdowns and shaming those that didn't clap on Thursday evening.

Oldest stepdaughter has been volunteering at the local foodbank while she can't go back to uni and had a bag literally thrown back at her just before xmas as it didn't have any xmas food like mince pies in it. She was always a bit of a leftie (as she should be at her age) but she's now questioning why she bothers when by her estimate 1 in 3 of the people there are abusive and unappreciative. Been an eye-opener for her for sure.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 14th, 2021, 6:04 pm

vagrantbrain wrote:
Sadly i'm in the NW at the moment and it's obvious why rates have been stubbornly high for many months now. I'm also in the school Facebook and Whatsapp groups (not through choice) and i'd love to say it's a small minority that are taking the piss but it's genuinely not - the amount of playdates, parties and pissups being blatantly organised is just bonkers. And from the same people who then shout loudest it's too dangerous to go to school, we need stronger lockdowns and shaming those that didn't clap on Thursday evening.

Oldest stepdaughter has been volunteering at the local foodbank while she can't go back to uni and had a bag literally thrown back at her just before xmas as it didn't have any xmas food like mince pies in it. She was always a bit of a leftie (as she should be at her age) but she's now questioning why she bothers when by her estimate 1 in 3 of the people there are abusive and unappreciative. Been an eye-opener for her for sure.

I can't help but agreeing with much of that, but your experiences are so sad compared with mine. What people do can be difficult to credit at times. I live in a middle size village/small town, fairly well spread demographic, but the number of people not playing by the rules must be miniscule from my experience. I've no idea why that should be but it might account for why our infection rates have always be on the lower side of average.
I hope your daughter does not become too jaundiced over what she finds - she should also set against that experience the grateful people she meets, and the good she is doing. She must bear in mind that desperate or stressed people sometimes react in peculiar ways - even to biting the hand that feeds you. I hope she does not become a crusty old right-winger before her time and lose her empathy.

Arb.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » January 15th, 2021, 8:57 am

Arborbridge wrote: I hope she does not become a crusty old right-winger before her time and lose her empathy.

Arb.

Interesting your implied assumption that "right-wingers" don't possess empathy.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 15th, 2021, 9:27 am

dealtn wrote:
Arborbridge wrote: I hope she does not become a crusty old right-winger before her time and lose her empathy.

Arb.

Interesting your implied assumption that "right-wingers" don't possess empathy.

Ah, you spotted my Freudian slip :)

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”