Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

What happened to spam?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: What happened to spam?

Postby bungeejumper » February 24th, 2021, 3:24 pm

Charlottesquare wrote:
Mike4 wrote:I'd forgotten about chip pan fires! ISTR seeing adverts on telly as a child by the Fire Brigade, warning of the dangers of chip pan fires and what to do if you had one. Specifically, don't throw water on it was the message that penetrated my impressionable young brain at the time...

A damp but wrung out tea towel to starve it of oxygen I think was the prescribed control though we had various fire extinguishers in our house including a powder one.

Wandering way off topic now, but about eight years ago I had occasion to use a £10 metre-square fire blanket in anger, after the grillpan caught fire and the kitchen filled up with smoke and foot-long tongues of blue and yellow flame. (Horizontal, naturally, and at groin height.) :? ) So, having once had the experience, I would never want to work in a kitchen without one.

The first two seconds of the crisis were "oh my god" territory; the next three seconds were "yes, this really is a big enough emergency to merit using the blanket"; the next five seconds were spent in pulling the ribbons and hoping it would unfurl correctly (it did); and another five seconds on stuffing the blanket into the grill.

The fire was out in eight seconds flat. The steaks were still edible, although they were more medium than medium rare. The fire blanket was ruined, but I didn't have any complaints. :D Best tenner I ever spent.

BJ

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » February 24th, 2021, 3:27 pm

XFool wrote:I've no idea. I don't get "Spam"... :?

The "spam" folder that most of the big email providers show you, does not contain all the spam email sent to you, 99% is firewalled off or immediately deleted, the 1% that they put in the spam folder is just the stuff they are not completely sure about.

So when you see the content of the spam folder vary from one week to another, thats just their spam algorithm getting slightly better or worse.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » February 24th, 2021, 3:36 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
Charlottesquare wrote:
Mike4 wrote:I'd forgotten about chip pan fires! ISTR seeing adverts on telly as a child by the Fire Brigade, warning of the dangers of chip pan fires and what to do if you had one. Specifically, don't throw water on it was the message that penetrated my impressionable young brain at the time...

A damp but wrung out tea towel to starve it of oxygen I think was the prescribed control though we had various fire extinguishers in our house including a powder one.

Wandering way off topic now, but about eight years ago I had occasion to use a £10 metre-square fire blanket in anger, after the grillpan caught fire and the kitchen filled up with smoke and foot-long tongues of blue and yellow flame. (Horizontal, naturally, and at groin height.) :? ) So, having once had the experience, I would never want to work in a kitchen without one.

The first two seconds of the crisis were "oh my god" territory; the next three seconds were "yes, this really is a big enough emergency to merit using the blanket"; the next five seconds were spent in pulling the ribbons and hoping it would unfurl correctly (it did); and another five seconds on stuffing the blanket into the grill.

The fire was out in eight seconds flat. The steaks were still edible, although they were more medium than medium rare. The fire blanket was ruined, but I didn't have any complaints. :D Best tenner I ever spent.

BJ

Seeing as we are going "off-piste" I remember working in a betting shop as a wet behind the years 18 year old on my first Saturday job. Next door was a Fish n Chip shop. We naturally got our lunch from there, and the owner was a regular in ours (clearly his staff were too busy but he had plenty of time outside of rush hour to chat with our equally busy manager).

One Saturday he regaled us with the recent attempted robbery of another shop in his chain. The sprightly thief attempted to leap the counter to scare off the "fryer" and access the till. Athletic enough to leap the counter it seems, but not enough up top to recognise what might be on the other side. Serious burns from toes to testicles on one leg, and numerous splash burns too. Needless to say he wasn't in a fit state to either access the till, or run away.

I doubt he did it again.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 24th, 2021, 3:40 pm

dealtn wrote:Athletic enough to leap the counter it seems, but not enough up top to recognise what might be on the other side. Serious burns from toes to testicles on one leg, and numerous splash burns too. Needless to say he wasn't in a fit state to either access the till, or run away.

I doubt he did it again.

But, to pinch a line from Blackadder, it would be a great story to tell his grandchildren. Except, of course, that grandchildren would now be out of the question.

BJ

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » February 24th, 2021, 3:40 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
XFool wrote:One thing, do you run any kind of business, or have a public webpage with your email address on, or share it with anyone else? Obviously, people who do ARE inevitably going to get Spam. OTOH, as with myself, I have no public webpage or display of my email address. It's just an ordinary private, single individual, email account.

I notice all your samples are finance related, could this not be a clue to the original source?

I found myself on what was clearly an international spamsuckers' list after hackers attacked a company where I'd recently bought something. (A large, market-dominating UK purveyor of electrical goods with very good lawyers.) The company insisted that the raiders hadn't snatched my payment details - just my name and email address - but once the stable door had been jemmied open, the spam began to make itself at home.

Much earlier, I was besieged for a while by boiler-room scamsters who had got hold of my mobile phone number. And the only organisations who'd had that phone number from me were (a) the London Stock Exchange, (b) Her Majesty's Customs and Excise, and (c) a certain very prominent business newspaper. ;)

BJ

Have two e mails, one for online purchasing/registering etc, the other for proper e mails with real people you know. It is not surefire, someone you do communicate with could have their address book "acquired" but it does keep down the volume.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 24th, 2021, 3:42 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
XFool wrote:One thing, do you run any kind of business, or have a public webpage with your email address on, or share it with anyone else? Obviously, people who do ARE inevitably going to get Spam. OTOH, as with myself, I have no public webpage or display of my email address. It's just an ordinary private, single individual, email account.

I notice all your samples are finance related, could this not be a clue to the original source?

I found myself on what was clearly an international spamsuckers' list after hackers attacked a company where I'd recently bought something. (A large, market-dominating UK purveyor of electrical goods with very good lawyers.) The company insisted that the raiders hadn't snatched my payment details - just my name and email address - but once the stable door had been jemmied open, the spam began to make itself at home.

I used to get Spam, a long time ago now.

Originally it was the same as now, typically no Spam at all, but I got, as now, incoming informational emails from legitimate financial companies. Of course these sometimes included the odd promotion (Spam?). One day a mass mailing was sent out to their registered users, unfortunately, I assume due to human error, the body of the email, instead of the text of the message, consisted of all the email addresses of the users it was being sent to! Oh dear.

A followup email came from the director of the company apologising profusely for the error, understanding if we wanted to unsubscribe and asking us all to please delete the relevant email, as he felt we as responsible people would do. I kept mine, not in any way to use myself for illegitimate purposes, but rather to help track what was going to happen next. I knew I would start to get Spam, as indeed I did over the following months.

Well, if I had followed the usual advice, that would presumably be that. I ignored the usual advice - on TMF(!). I eventually, one way or another, followed up every single source of Spam - using different tactics with different sources. It took a long time. After a year or so... No Spam. It remains so to this day.

Now the argument on TMF (well, one of them!) was: It doesn't make any difference; Spam is inevitable; You can't do anything about it; It doesn't prove anything.

No, I can't "prove anything", I can't prove it did make any difference (I never got a single acknowledgement by email AFAICR) but, as I said at the time:"Who gets Spam? You or me?"

One thing I know I can prove, Spam is NOT "inevitable".

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 24th, 2021, 3:57 pm

XFool wrote:One day a mass mailing was sent out to their registered users, unfortunately, I assume due to human error, the body of the email, instead of the text of the message, consisted of all the email addresses of the users it was being sent to! Oh dear.

Oh indeed, it's easily done if you forget to choose the Bcc option. Seen it done several times in the meeja environment, although I don't think I've done it myself.

Special honours went to a motoring reviewer who sent me an email containing the addresses of every TV car show host from Clarkson downwards - I mean the real "black book" addresses that the inner circle use when talking with each other - and they talk a lot :) - not the ones that they put out on the public websites. I imagine there were some heated words exchanged about the culprit?

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 24th, 2021, 4:04 pm

Charlottesquare wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:

Much earlier, I was besieged for a while by boiler-room scamsters who had got hold of my mobile phone number. And the only organisations who'd had that phone number from me were (a) the London Stock Exchange, (b) Her Majesty's Customs and Excise, and (c) a certain very prominent business newspaper. ;)

BJ

Have two e mails, one for online purchasing/registering etc, the other for proper e mails with real people you know. It is not surefire, someone you do communicate with could have their address book "acquired" but it does keep down the volume.

Better, use a separate email address for every correspondent - with the possible exception of trusted contacts you know personally. Or at least every institutional correspondent. That makes it really easy to delete an address that starts to collect spam. The vast majority remain clean, but I've had to delete a few who should know better.

Thus for example, you might sign up to this site with lemonfool@my.domain (I honestly don't remember if I did that).

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 24th, 2021, 4:07 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
XFool wrote:One day a mass mailing was sent out to their registered users, unfortunately, I assume due to human error, the body of the email, instead of the text of the message, consisted of all the email addresses of the users it was being sent to! Oh dear.

Oh indeed, it's easily done if you forget to choose the Bcc option. Seen it done several times in the meeja environment, although I don't think I've done it myself.

No. Nothing to do with "BCc". This was in the body of the email, presumably an error in a script to automate the process. At least, that is what I assumed.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 24th, 2021, 4:12 pm

XFool wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:Oh indeed, it's easily done if you forget to choose the Bcc option. Seen it done several times in the meeja environment, although I don't think I've done it myself.

No. Nothing to do with "BCc". This was in the body of the email, presumably an error in a script to automate the process. At least, that is what I assumed.

Yes, I read what you wrote. Somebody had made a simple two-second cock-up, and the list had gone out to all and sundry. I gave another example of a different but similarly simple two-second cock-up which had a similar effect. No need to be quite so twitchy?

Anyway, I bet my accidental list was more interesting than yours. :lol:

BJ
Last edited by bungeejumper on February 24th, 2021, 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 24th, 2021, 4:15 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Yes, I read what you wrote. Somebody had made a simple two-second cock-up, and the list had gone out to all and sundry. I gave another example of a similarly simple two-second cock-up which had a similar effect. No need to be quite so twitchy?

Anyway, I bet my accidental list was more interesting than yours. :lol:

Sounds likely. :)

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 24th, 2021, 4:19 pm

...But all this doesn't help the OP.

It's puzzling as most public comment is about increasing risk of scams during the pandemic.

OP's ISP has strengthened their Spam filter? Possibly because of above.
Email Spammers' have turned to telephone scams, because more people at home during the day?

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » February 24th, 2021, 4:53 pm

XFool wrote:...But all this doesn't help the OP.

It's puzzling as most public comment is about increasing risk of scams during the pandemic.

OP's ISP has strengthened their Spam filter? Possibly because of above.
Email Spammers' have turned to telephone scams, because more people at home during the day?

Yes, two Amazon subscription calls and a BT internet one since 9.45 today. (The only other ones were a life insurance broker, at least a human, I think genuine ,but still not needed plus my employer with his daily update call)

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » February 24th, 2021, 5:35 pm

Charlottesquare wrote:Yes, two Amazon subscription calls and a BT internet one since 9.45 today.

That's about the daily par for the course on our landline. And I should add - calls from Microsoft - what nice people they must be taking time to call from such a big organisation to a little fellow like me. Mind you - I don't think I have actually had a call from Bill Gates himself. :)

dragnips
Lemon Pip

Postby dragnips » February 24th, 2021, 6:17 pm

Don't try this - it doesn't work:

This guy offered his white wife to the African tribesmen as a gift in exchange for their secret manhood elongation ritual.
And it WORKED!
Oh my God you have to see this before this crazy dude takes off his documentary...
Just last summer, he and his wife decided to pay a visit to one of the most sacred tribes in Africa, the legendary Sombas
They've been known for quite some time now by the elites and the scientific community for their special elongation method.
For many years, decades in fact, many people have been trying to learn the insights of this ritual, but with no luck.
Until this guy came and did the most unthinkable thing...
He gave his wife in exchange for the growth secret!
It was incredible! In fact they filmed the whole thing and documented every step of this ritual…

BE CAREFUL.

This should be used wisely because it grows your member by 4 to 7 inches in a few weeks.
In fact, it already created some monsters out there….
Oh… and if you wonder if the african tribe fellows scored on the white chick, the answer is YES!
That's why I said you have to see this…

You may unsubscribe at any time. Unsubscribe

200 Continental Drive, Suite 401, Newark, DE, 19713, US

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 24th, 2021, 6:18 pm

scotia wrote:
Charlottesquare wrote:Yes, two Amazon subscription calls and a BT internet one since 9.45 today.

That's about the daily par for the course on our landline. And I should add - calls from Microsoft - what nice people they must be taking time to call from such a big organisation to a little fellow like me. Mind you - I don't think I have actually had a call from Bill Gates himself. :)

Cough!

Sorry! But I can only say pretty much the same thing wrt my landline as my emails. (Again, why?) I saw I did get a few (~3 or so) likely Spam phone calls over recent weeks ('funny' numbers), but either ignored them or they came when I was out.

I did recount the 'last' scam call I answered a year or two ago. I hardly said more than three words and the caller sighed and rang off!

Must say something. :?

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » February 24th, 2021, 6:37 pm

I get little spam, when I do I assign them to junk and they soon stop.

Far more annoying is the frequent calls we get for the people who used to have our landline phone number. It was reassigned to us when we moved here ten years ago, and we still get calls for the b----y Chandlers :x

V8

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 24th, 2021, 6:58 pm

88V8 wrote:I get little spam, when I do I assign them to junk and they soon stop.

Far more annoying is the frequent calls we get for the people who used to have our landline phone number. It was reassigned to us when we moved here ten years ago, and we still get calls for the b----y Chandlers :x

The Chandlers must have been very friendly and popular people. Or drug dealers.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 24th, 2021, 7:37 pm

dragnips wrote:Don't try this - it doesn't work:

[i]This guy offered his white wife to the African tribesmen as a gift in exchange for their secret manhood elongation ritual.

An updated Mayor of Casterbridge?

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » February 24th, 2021, 7:43 pm

88V8 wrote:I get little spam, when I do I assign them to junk and they soon stop.

V8

I took over a construction site where the telephone had been given the number of a nearby closed railway station. My predecessor had got so fed up with trying to explain that he was not Wincobank Station that he bought a copy of the local Rail ABC Guide and answered the questions. I think by the time that I relieved him a new phone book had been printed, but he left the ABC just in case.

TJH

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”