Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

What happened to spam?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Re: What happened to spam?

Postby brightncheerful » February 24th, 2021, 9:49 pm

Rob625 wrote:I normally get dozens of spam emails a day. For almost four days now I have had none. What's happened?

Sounds like you're suffering from lockdown blues? if you email us all off-board then we could forward all the spam we get: that should cheer you up.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » February 25th, 2021, 3:04 pm

For those times when you have to give a valid email address, need to respond to a link sent to your valid email address, but then never want email from that site again, there is a useful site called Spamgourmet: https://www.spamgourmet.com

They allow you to create unique email addresses that will stop working after a certain number of emails have been received.

VRD

Rob625
Lemon Pip

Postby Rob625 » February 25th, 2021, 9:39 pm

brightncheerful wrote:
Rob625 wrote:I normally get dozens of spam emails a day. For almost four days now I have had none. What's happened?

Sounds like you're suffering from lockdown blues? if you email us all off-board then we could forward all the spam we get: that should cheer you up.

Yes, I thought someone might see it like that.
Please don't worry about me. I have just received four in the last hour. So now I can cut my electricity bill, do away with moles and visceral fat, and reverse the decline in my vision. But I am still curious as to why I had none from 19 to 22 Feb.
I use gmail, and have a couple of other addresses that get forwarded to the @gmail.com one. I keep an eye on my spam folder; I don't know if it's true that some is so spammy that google just eliminates it and I never see it; that would bother me if true.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » February 25th, 2021, 10:27 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
88V8 wrote:I get little spam, when I do I assign them to junk and they soon stop.

Far more annoying is the frequent calls we get for the people who used to have our landline phone number. It was reassigned to us when we moved here ten years ago, and we still get calls for the b----y Chandlers :x

V8

I took over a construction site where the telephone had been given the number of a nearby closed railway station. My predecessor had got so fed up with trying to explain that he was not Wincobank Station that he bought a copy of the local Rail ABC Guide and answered the questions. I think by the time that I relieved him a new phone book had been printed, but he left the ABC just in case.

TJH

Before 7pm, we never answer the landline because the only person that uses it is my mother, and I never answer my mobile if I don't recognise the number. Simple policy. Perfect peace. But years ago, I started getting texts about meeting down the pub etc. I ignored it the first time, but my Monty Python sense of humour tends to overpower me at times. I think they realised they had the wrong number when I started explaining that I'd meet them at the pub but I'd been sacked from the circus and I had to bring my mother-in-law and the elephant as well.

I don't get any weird calls at all these days. So lonely! ;)

Steve

AJC5001
Lemon Slice

Postby AJC5001 » February 25th, 2021, 11:59 pm

stevensfo wrote:Before 7pm, we never answer the landline because the only person that uses it is my mother

Another good way to annoy your mother is to forget to send birthday, christmas and especially Mothers day cards. :lol:

Steve

That's because you never answer them :shock: (See above)

Adrian

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » February 26th, 2021, 7:48 am

AJC5001 wrote:
stevensfo wrote:Before 7pm, we never answer the landline because the only person that uses it is my mother

Another good way to annoy your mother is to forget to send birthday, christmas and especially Mothers day cards. :lol:

Steve

That's because you never answer them :shock: (See above)

Adrian

Whoops, my mistake. I should have pointed out that she 'knows' that we don't answer the phone before 7pm, so she always phones after. Or just texts me, telling me to phone. Nobody would ever dare make a cold call after that time.

Agree about forgetting the cards. Very dangerous indeed!

Steve

dragnips
Lemon Pip

Postby dragnips » February 26th, 2021, 10:29 am

stevensfo wrote:
AJC5001 wrote:
stevensfo wrote:
Agree about forgetting the cards. Very dangerous indeed!

Steve

It's a sure way to never forget an anniversary - did it once, never forgotten one since.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » February 26th, 2021, 10:46 am

dragnips wrote:
stevensfo wrote:
AJC5001 wrote:

It's a sure way to never forget an anniversary - did it once, never forgotten one since.

Oh I don't worry about that. My wife's a scientist and very pragmatic. She doesn't go in for all this mushy romantic stuff.

I get reminders well in advance! As well as instructions on how to celebrate, what to buy, where to go etc etc. :cry:

Then again, we had an amazing 25th. Flew to Santorini, five days there, then the boat to Mykonos for a week, till flying back to the same airport.

Very educational. I learned a lot about Akrotiri, the volcano, Delos in Mykonos.

I also learned that 'Boutique Hotel' is a synonym for 'Small and ***** expensive hotel'!

Another big one coming up soon. I'd like to do more or less the same thing. Santorini and Mykonos.

I'll go to Santorini and she can go to Mykonos.

Swap notes at the end. :lol:

Steve

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » September 25th, 2022, 12:31 pm

Is this a record?

Finally. I've received a genuine SPAM email! :lol:

Subject: Reminder for your UPS order / Bussiness Parcel Noº31805610821277

X-RazorGate-Spam: true
X-RazorGate-Suspect: true
X-VadeSecure-score: verdict=spam score=300/330, class=spam
X-SNCR-VADESECURE: SUSPECT

UPS Parcel delivery failed*

What next? SPAM phone calls?

Interesting... Subsequently Windows Defender activated, requiring a scan. Coincidence? I looked at the emailed link but didn't click on it. 'Quick scan' did not reveal anything untoward.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » September 25th, 2022, 4:21 pm

If you're desparate for some spam I have a tin left over from the war.

R6

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”