Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Happy Easter you Grumpy Reprobates

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: Happy Easter you Grumpy Reprobates

Postby tjh290633 » April 3rd, 2021, 11:10 pm

We had a very chilly alfresco lunch with our daughter and her family. As they had travelled 110 miles to see us, one cannot be uncharitable, but I wish they had shut the door when they left home. That wind. We actually had some sunshine, but too late and too intermittent to warm us up.

My son-in-law asked if we would be taking advantage of such meals in pub gardens come April 12th. I confirmed that we would. One of our regular watering holes is already taking bookings. They have a reduced menu for now. I can cope with that.

TJH

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » April 4th, 2021, 8:23 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:I always hated bank holidays.

The last time I want to be off work is when everyone is off work, clogging up places I might want to go, and making travel a nightmare. Far better to take advantage of quiet time to get some work done, and take time off sometime when things are more normal. Ordinary weekends are bad enough!

Though it's not as bad as christmas. At least we have daylight now, and aren't overwhelmed with hideously offensive displays of tat.

=================================

agreed .

why holidays for banks ?

why are we forced to have these holidays ?

should be scrapped and added to our annual allowance to be taken as we like .

:roll:

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » April 4th, 2021, 9:40 pm

I may even treat myself to a Waitrose cup cake or two...

At Waitrose yesterday, on the way i was greeted by the store manager and reciprocated, i then headed to the aisle I go to to begin with and gradually worked my way around, as usual ignoring the one-way signs. It was only when I got to about the fourth aisle that a customer, who knows me, said i wan't wearing a mask. Quickly I put it on. A few minutes later i saw the manager again and told him that when we'd greeted each other earlier he hadn't noticed i wasn't wearing a mask. I said i wouldn't tell if he didn't and suggested perhaps he thought we were in a pub.

For Easter Day lunch Mrs Bnc and i had a miniature version of Christmas Day lunch* except that then puppy was left on her own out of sight and restless whereas today she was in full view and asleep mostly.

* Fortnum & Mason's Wellington Vegetarian… thanks to the Government's Self-Employment Income Support Scheme, also thank you very much taxpayers everywhere.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 4th, 2021, 10:55 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:Dartmoor Inn ? Still going? or my favourite (inland) the Who'd Have Thought It ?

Dartmoor Inn at Lydford? Who'dathunkit at Milton Combe (not actually Dartmoor, but not far out)? Or did you have others in mind?

Neither were ever my regulars, though I've been to both. As with so many pubs, I've no idea if they're surviving, nor what they'll look like if and when they open up. Back when we had Foot&Mouth lockdown I used to cycle through Milton Combe when travelling to/from Plimuff avoiding the A386, but now in my dotage I'd struggle with the stamina, and certainly with that hill!

[edit] OK, your google link answers one of those!

Dartmoor Inn just west of Princetown/Two Bridges. Merrivale sayeth Google Maps
It was a long time ago though, I may have visted several... Just remembered the Rock at Yelverton and the Royal Oak at Meavy...

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 4th, 2021, 11:43 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Dartmoor Inn just west of Princetown/Two Bridges. Merrivale sayeth Google Maps

That one was seriously bad when I last tried it. Huge disappointment for such a promising location. Though I think I have better memories from the much more distant past.
It was a long time ago though, I may have visted several... Just remembered the Rock at Yelverton and the Royal Oak at Meavy...

Rock is OK but rather soulless, and the beer's gone downhill. Royal Oak is a nice pub if you can catch it not-too-crowded. Or were, before lockdown scuppered everything: who knows what'll emerge? Royal Oak may struggle due to its limited outdoor space, for instance.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 5th, 2021, 10:22 am

I've got happy memories of the Dartmoor Inn - but a lot can change in >30 years!

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”