Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Happy Easter you Grumpy Reprobates

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Happy Easter you Grumpy Reprobates

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » April 1st, 2021, 10:59 pm

It's been a tough 12 months for all.

We've a long weekend break ahead (highly dependant on many vagaries).

A time for Easter Eggs, flowers, family and repeats of Spartacus.

The nights are drawing out, the weather is improving and the roads will be full of caravans and broken down Robin Reliant's.

Ain't Easter great.

From the most grumpiest reprobate, by far, have a Happy Easter :)

AiY

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Re: Happy Easter you Grumpy Reprobates

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 1st, 2021, 11:22 pm

Thanks!
Second Easter in a row I haven't been able to go home and see my family and friends. Luckily I managed a couple of trips home during the lull last summer, but I haven't seen any of them since September :( I know everyone is in the same boat!
As I've been first-jabbed I'm going to risk a shopping trip tomorrow. I may even treat myself to a Waitrose cup cake or two...

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 1st, 2021, 11:46 pm

A long weekend ahead? What is that? I scarcely acknowledge weekends and in fact do not like so called long ones, especially this one coming up where the market is closed on Friday and Monday. OTOH Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday will not be very different from any other day for me at least. I will walk, garden, maybe wash the car. Read a lot if the weather is as bad as forecast but other than that I scarcely notice it.

Will attend church on Sunday. Happy Easter to all.

Dod

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 1st, 2021, 11:51 pm

Dod101 wrote:A long weekend ahead? What is that? I scarcely acknowledge weekends and in fact do not like so called long ones, especially this one coming up where the market is closed on Friday and Monday.

It is a feature of retiring. Suddenly the best time of the week is Monday morning, whilst Friday evening fills one with dread.

And if weekends are worse for retirees, then long week-ends are even worse. I know just how you feel, although at least you have the religious aspect. I do not.

That said, Easter was always really boring even when I worked or was young. There is really nothing to it to warrant a 4-day week-end, although at least the weather is decent for it this year.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 2nd, 2021, 12:07 am

I always hated bank holidays.

The last time I want to be off work is when everyone is off work, clogging up places I might want to go, and making travel a nightmare. Far better to take advantage of quiet time to get some work done, and take time off sometime when things are more normal. Ordinary weekends are bad enough!

Though it's not as bad as christmas. At least we have daylight now, and aren't overwhelmed with hideously offensive displays of tat.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 2nd, 2021, 12:11 am

Lootman wrote:
Dod101 wrote:A long weekend ahead? What is that? I scarcely acknowledge weekends and in fact do not like so called long ones, especially this one coming up where the market is closed on Friday and Monday.

It is a feature of retiring. Suddenly the best time of the week is Monday morning, whilst Friday evening fills one with dread.

And if weekends are worse for retirees, then long week-ends are even worse. I know just how you feel, although at least you have the religious aspect. I do not.

That said, Easter was always really boring even when I worked or was young. There is really nothing to it to warrant a 4-day week-end, although at least the weather is decent for it this year.

A fellow sufferer! I have felt this since I retired particularly, but you know when I worked in Hong Kong in the days before instant communication by email, a young fellow (usually me) was sent in to the office on a Monday holiday to check the telex machine in case there was something urgent. I did not mind in the least because the place was peaceful and quiet and cool in midsummer HK which is very humid and hot.

UE has just posted another reflecting my views. I thought I was in a minority of one.

Commiserations. Thanks yes I will have another and then get to bed.

Dod

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » April 2nd, 2021, 9:07 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:I always hated bank holidays.

The last time I want to be off work is when everyone is off work, clogging up places I might want to go, and making travel a nightmare. Far better to take advantage of quiet time to get some work done, and take time off sometime when things are more normal. Ordinary weekends are bad enough!

Though it's not as bad as christmas. At least we have daylight now, and aren't overwhelmed with hideously offensive displays of tat.

I'm sensing some issues UE. My Spidey senses tell me you're a Robin Reliant owner and haven't yet joined the AA. I could write a book on the ponderings I have that the entire world goes to the supermarket between 10am and 3pm every Saturday. And yes Christmas has become the only time of the year that materialism wreaks. However, we could change that and do it all year round :lol:

If you're determined not to enjoy the long weekend then it's incumbent upon me to wish you a highly non enjoyable weekend watching Spartacus in black and white and waxing the Robin Reliant.

Have no fun :lol:

Cheers

AiY

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » April 2nd, 2021, 9:16 am

Dod101 wrote:A fellow sufferer! I have felt this since I retired particularly, but you know when I worked in Hong Kong in the days before instant communication by email, a young fellow (usually me) was sent in to the office on a Monday holiday to check the telex machine in case there was something urgent. I did not mind in the least because the place was peaceful and quiet and cool in midsummer HK which is very humid and hot.

UE has just posted another reflecting my views. I thought I was in a minority of one.

Commiserations. Thanks yes I will have another and then get to bed.

Dod

Dod I can say without any fear of any contradiction you will never be in a minority. During our time in Hong Kong my Father was elected to represent the RAF and take his family on board the Australian Flagship HMAS Melbourne. An aircraft carrier. We were shown around the ship by our own guides. I was only young and don't recall much about it.

AiY

Beerpig
Lemon Slice

Postby Beerpig » April 2nd, 2021, 8:41 pm

I love Friday.
I always have.
My heart always give a little leap at this time of year when I wake up on a Friday morning and walk the dogs at 6.00am through the first dusty blossoms of spring.
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday.
Just to be alive.
What's not to like?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 2nd, 2021, 9:26 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:If you're determined not to enjoy the long weekend then it's incumbent upon me to wish you a highly non enjoyable weekend watching Spartacus in black and white and waxing the Robin Reliant.
AiY

Happy to report, I have this afternoon enjoyed my first singing for far too long. We took advantage of the weather to get together outdoors, and all found ourselves rather struggling after so long in limbo but still enjoying it.

Also enjoyed the bike ride to get there, the venue being firmly within Dartmoor and quite a lot higher than home.

But that's nothing to do with bank holiday. It's just rules that finally allow us to meet outdoors, and weather that makes it pleasant to do so.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 2nd, 2021, 9:40 pm

Ah, I miss Dartmoor.... even Princetown ! (no I wasn't in prison)

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 2nd, 2021, 9:54 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Ah, I miss Dartmoor.... even Princetown ! (no I wasn't in prison)

Do come and visit once it's allowed! There are plenty of good pubs to meet up in.

No, wait ...

There were plenty of good pubs. Guess we should arrange your visit for sometime in the past.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » April 2nd, 2021, 10:10 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:I always hated bank holidays.

Its a curious thing, this bank holiday thing. I've been kicking my heels half the week and designing another website, but today my phone has lit up with boiler breakdown calls. (Last message came in at 9.30 this evening, Good Friday bank holiday night Mind you they texted as well which I answered, and fixed their problem just with texts lol!) I expect this to continue until Tuesday when it will go all quiet again.

Similarly in summer, when in the absence of calls I decide to spend a few days away on the bote. As soon as I commit to brief holiday and set off in the van, the phone rings incessantly with urgent calls and the voicemail fills up to the limit with voicemails, which callously I ignore until I get back.

(Edit to add about the call this evening)

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 2nd, 2021, 10:17 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:Ah, I miss Dartmoor.... even Princetown ! (no I wasn't in prison)

Do come and visit once it's allowed! There are plenty of good pubs to meet up in.

No, wait ...

There were plenty of good pubs. Guess we should arrange your visit for sometime in the past.

Dartmoor Inn ? Still going? or my favourite (inland) the Who'd Have Thought It ?
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.47512 ... 312!8i6656

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 2nd, 2021, 10:30 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Dartmoor Inn ? Still going? or my favourite (inland) the Who'd Have Thought It ?

Dartmoor Inn at Lydford? Who'dathunkit at Milton Combe (not actually Dartmoor, but not far out)? Or did you have others in mind?

Neither were ever my regulars, though I've been to both. As with so many pubs, I've no idea if they're surviving, nor what they'll look like if and when they open up. Back when we had Foot&Mouth lockdown I used to cycle through Milton Combe when travelling to/from Plimuff avoiding the A386, but now in my dotage I'd struggle with the stamina, and certainly with that hill!

[edit] OK, your google link answers one of those!

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » April 2nd, 2021, 10:41 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:

No, wait ...

Dartmoor Inn ? Still going? or my favourite (inland) the Who'd Have Thought It ?

Swerving miles off topic but I doubt A-i-Y will mind, that is a GREAT name for a pub. There is one out this way too.

My fave pub name of all though is the "Holy Inadequate" in Stoke-on-Trent. And the pub itself does not disappoint. Or didn't, rather. A real ale pub with knobs on.
https://whatpub.com/pubs/POT/1061/holy- ... e-on-trent

And as we're off topic, I sure seem to be getting a grip on making a fine crusty white loaf.... yay!!

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » April 2nd, 2021, 10:44 pm

Mike4 wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Do come and visit once it's allowed! There are plenty of good pubs to meet up in.

No, wait ...

Swerving miles off topic but I doubt A-i-Y will mind, that is a GREAT name for a pub. There is one out this way too.

My fave pub name of all though is the "Holy Inadequate" in Stoke-on-Trent. And the pub itself does not disappoint. Or didn't, rather. A real ale pub with knobs on.
https://whatpub.com/pubs/POT/1061/holy- ... e-on-trent

And as we're off topic, I sure seem to be getting a grip on making a fine crusty white loaf.... yay!!

Way too much bread and not enough flour

AiY

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 2nd, 2021, 10:51 pm

Mike4 wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:Dartmoor Inn ? Still going? or my favourite (inland) the Who'd Have Thought It ?

There are at least two near(ish) here. I think I actually encountered the Cornish one before the one AC mentioned.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » April 2nd, 2021, 11:17 pm

Well as a fully paid up member of the grumpy club I must admit I'm dreading the lifting of travel restrictions. I have hundreds of rellies - both sets of grandparents had over 20 children, and a lot of them think it's really great just to hitch up the caravan and drop by for the weekend or week/fortnight etc. I must admit I'm pleased to see some of them but others, well I'd rather they didn't bother. I particularly detest the ones who seem to think they're doing us a great honour by calling. OH just buggers off, as he says "I married you for better or worse there was no mention of having to put up with your damned relatives".

R6

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » April 2nd, 2021, 11:25 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:Well as a fully paid up member of the grumpy club I must admit I'm dreading the lifting of travel restrictions. I have hundreds of rellies - both sets of grandparents had over 20 children, and a lot of them think it's really great just to hitch up the caravan and drop by for the weekend or week/fortnight etc. I must admit I'm pleased to see some of them but others, well I'd rather they didn't bother. I particularly detest the ones who seem to think they're doing us a great honour by calling. OH just buggers off, as he says "I married you for better or worse there was no mention of having to put up with your damned relatives".

R6

My profuse apologies, I forgot to mention the relatives didn't I? :lol:

AiY

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”