Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

A Nation Mourns

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
simsqu
Lemon Slice

A Nation Mourns

Postby simsqu » April 9th, 2021, 1:39 pm

It is with deep regret and sadness that the BBC has just announced the postponement of the Masterchef Final this evening.

Can I join the peoples of the world in offering my deep condolences to the contestants, who will now have to bite their lips for another 24 hours or possibly longer, depending on how long the BBC can eke out some old codswallop they’ve been dying to trot out for at least 5 years, of black and white footage of Prince Philip walking around with his hands behind his back. Not to mention trawling through queues of celebs and politicians trying to look sad, wistful, important and poignant all at the same time.

A tearful Mr Gregory Wallace said, “this is a sad day for the world, and a personal tragedy for me. I will never forget where I was when I heard the news that a programme I’d recorded eight weeks ago was not going to be broadcast for a day or two. What was it called again? Pass the sprout soil embued with a miasma of foraged chips.”

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Re: A Nation Mourns

Postby terminal7 » April 9th, 2021, 1:54 pm

Frankly the combination of gurning Greg at his gargoyle worst and servings of red raw meat have laid me low for 24 hours. So I for one welcome the postponement.

T7

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 9th, 2021, 2:23 pm

simsqu wrote:...depending on how long the BBC can eke out some old codswallop they’ve been dying to trot out for at least 5 years, of black and white footage of Prince Philip walking around with his hands behind his back.

Way back around the turn of the seventies, Private Eye would occasionally put out vinyl recordings, which were pressed onto thin flexible plastic and folded into the magazines. One such recording featured a breathlessly whispering David Attenborough soundalike, introducing the critically endangered fauna of Sandringham, and most notably the last surviving specimen of the Duke of Edinburgh, which had been retired to stud.

"And here we see the.... (breathless pause) characteristic long-legged walk, the (pause) long hands, clasped behind the (pause) long back. And now, the distinctive alarm call rings out as this prime male defends his territory..."

(Distantly) "Bugger orfft! Bugger orfft!"

Somewhat surprisingly, PE confirms my juvenile recollection: https://www.private-eye.co.uk/covers/cover-208 . Wish I still had my copy. :D

BJ

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » April 9th, 2021, 2:33 pm

HRH The Prince Philip:

"Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaining they are unemployed." During the 1981 recession.

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Postby simsqu » April 9th, 2021, 2:39 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Way back around the turn of the seventies, Private Eye would occasionally put out vinyl recordings, which were pressed onto thin flexible plastic and folded into the magazines. BJ

Absolutely! I remember them well. Sadly all lost decades ago

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » April 9th, 2021, 3:03 pm

So now the BBC have decided that both BBC1 and BBC2 schedules will be devoted to Phil for the entire night.
I have always supported the BBC. However postponing the weekly final of "House of Games" is unforgivable.

Talk about going over the top.

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Postby simsqu » April 9th, 2021, 3:11 pm

Leothebear wrote:So now the BBC have decided that both BBC1 and BBC2 schedules will be devoted to Phil for the entire night.
I have always supported the BBC. However postponing the weekly final of "House of Games" is unforgivable.

AND NO ESCAPE TO THE COUNTIRY!!!

This is all absolutely beyond the pale. A sad day for the world

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » April 9th, 2021, 3:31 pm

Leothebear wrote:So now the BBC have decided that both BBC1 and BBC2 schedules will be devoted to Phil for the entire night.

I can never understand how the BBC expect you to watch 2 channels (or 3 if you count BBC News as well) at once. No matter how interested you are in the news you can surely only watch one channel. Leaving the other ones free for people who would like to take their minds off their grief by watching something else.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » April 9th, 2021, 5:16 pm

And no Eastenders.
Every cloud has a silver lining

--kiloran

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » April 9th, 2021, 8:50 pm

Gersemi wrote:I can never understand how the BBC expect you to watch 2 channels (or 3 if you count BBC News as well) at once. No matter how interested you are in the news you can surely only watch one channel. Leaving the other ones free for people who would like to take their minds off their grief by watching something else.

seen on twitter ...

" If they didn't, tomorrow's Daily Mail would accuse the BBC of disrespect for showing a gardening programme on BBC2"

I am neither agreeing nor disagreeing with that post, merely offering it as a possible explanation (amongst many others I am sure)

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » April 9th, 2021, 8:54 pm

Gersemi wrote:

I can never understand how the BBC expect you to watch 2 channels (or 3 if you count BBC News as well) at once. No matter how interested you are in the news you can surely only watch one channel. Leaving the other ones free for people who would like to take their minds off their grief by watching something else.

Today I am quite glad I pay for Netflix (not that BBC1 or BBC2 usually entices me that often).

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » April 9th, 2021, 9:07 pm

Well, after President Kennedy was assassinated in 1963, BBC Television went off the air. So think yourself lucky. :)

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » April 9th, 2021, 9:14 pm

XFool wrote:Well, after President Kennedy was assassinated in 1963, BBC Television went off the air. So think yourself lucky. :)

It may be preferable...

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » April 9th, 2021, 9:35 pm

I've been on at them writing letters for years. "Why do you never show any documentaries about HRH Prince Philip? Preferably on both channels at the same time." - Moorfield, disgruntled of Tunbridge Wells etc. etc.

I've been dipping in and out of the news all day, normally in time to catch another gong-recipient (Sirs, Dames, CBEs) sycophantizing.
Clearly there must be something in a gong-recipients letter that demands they do so when called upon by the BBC.

Anyway, RIP Sir, your gaffes will be missed, particularly in this new age of Wokesterism.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » April 9th, 2021, 9:56 pm

I have not watched the TV at all today and am not planning to. I feel very sorry for the Queen and the rest of the family who will miss him, but 8 days of national mourning and a recall of parliament seems over the top to me - let alone 24 hour coverage on all channels.

That said, I know the Royal family mean a lot to a lot of people, so I'm not going to write letters of complaint.

Clariman

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » April 9th, 2021, 10:01 pm

Agreed, though it is a repeat and probably available on YouTube!

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... e+of+games

Mel

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » April 9th, 2021, 10:02 pm

Anyway. Not to worry, the BBC 10 o'clock News is on now. :o

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » April 9th, 2021, 10:05 pm

Ooh, update us - what's the news?

Mel

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » April 9th, 2021, 10:10 pm

EIGHT DAYS of national mourning, did someone say?

I tuned in to World at One and after 20 minutes got the drift of things. It was probably gonna be wall-to-wall PP for the rest of the day given he was husband of our monarch. Times like this I'm glad I don't have a telly, but the radio is mucked up too!

I was imagining getting back to normal wall-to-wall COVID tomorrow but does this mean we are getting PP sycophancy from the BBC for another seven days?

I feel deeply sad for the Queen but as I've never met either of them, I find it hard to be particularly mournful.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 9th, 2021, 10:12 pm

melonfool wrote:Ooh, update us - what's the news?

Mel

Wolves narrowly beat Fulham , but there was a terrible VAR decision against us. Should have been at least 2-0

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”