Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

A Nation Mourns

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Re: A Nation Mourns

Postby brightncheerful » April 11th, 2021, 1:31 pm

Gyles Brandreth, in his BBC article "Prince Philip would have been touched by public reaction" said "My favourite joke of his - and I heard him say this - was: "Whenever you see a man opening a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife"."

I hope that PP would have acknowledged the origin of that joke which is from the musical 'Fiddler on the Roof" -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiddler_on_the_Roof "if a man opens the door of his car for his wife one of them is new"

Another favourite of mine from FotR is "When a poor man eats a chicken, one of them is sick."

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » April 11th, 2021, 1:32 pm

Clariman wrote:AiY,
I referred to "8 days of national mourning". The Queen is entitled to as many days as she likes of personal mourning - and she has my sympathies.

I probably didn't phrase myself too well. Apologies. However, and I stand to be corrected, the period of National Mourning is a period during which the Queen will not be liable for signing anything or State Duties. In addition to this she can, and I believe has announced a period of Mourning for the Royal Family of 30 days. She will return to public duties at the end of that 30 days. What I was saying is that the period of 8 days national mourning was not decided by the Queen. That was part of a plan drawn up many years ago for this occasion. The plan for Mourning the passing of the Queen is called "London Bridge", unless it has been changed since it was revealed in stolen papers.

The mourning period requires flags at half mast, MP's to wear black arm bands and some radio stations to play more sombre music. Prince Phillip asked not to lie in state. He felt he wasn't that important. TV presenters will also be more sombre and possibly wear darker clothing. It's a period for the nation to reflect about the passing of this person, to perhaps to consider their own mortality as other posters have discussed in this thread.

I too sympathise greatly with the Queen and the wider Royal Family.

AiY
I'm sure this is off topic and would a moderator please move this where it's more suitable. It's a direct response to Clariman's comment as quoted above. Thank you

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » April 11th, 2021, 1:52 pm

mark88man wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:Yes a nation needs a figurehead and we have been very lucky to have such an exceptionally good one as the Queen. Imagine if republicans had had their way and we had ended up with that figurehead being a failed politician - eg President Neil Kinnock!

For a bit of left wing balance how about failed politicians
"President David Cameron"
"President Nigel Farage"
"President Theresa May"
"President William Hague"

All every bit as unsuccessful, and in many ways much more damaging than Kinnock ever was.

On Topic - I too thought the coverage both over and under whelming at the same time. An old man dies, rest in peace, so it goes. Long live the queen.

That's three iffy prime ministers and whatever that other guy was I'll grant you that
..and you're right about the damage
....but they probably did have more "success" than Neil Kinnock

Johnny Ball would have made a great figurehead
- I'd have voted for him

Good luck Phil on your travels!

- sd

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » April 11th, 2021, 2:21 pm

servodude wrote:
mark88man wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:Yes a nation needs a figurehead and we have been very lucky to have such an exceptionally good one as the Queen. Imagine if republicans had had their way and we had ended up with that figurehead being a failed politician - eg President Neil Kinnock!

"President Nigel Farage"
"President Theresa May"

All every bit as unsuccessful, and in many ways much more damaging than Kinnock ever was.

On Topic - I too thought the coverage both over and under whelming at the same time. An old man dies, rest in peace, so it goes. Long live the queen.

That's three iffy prime ministers and whatever that other guy was I'll grant you that

Johnny Ball would have made a great figurehead
- I'd have voted for him

Good luck Phil on your travels!

- sd

Shouldn't leave the LibDems out - President Jeremy Thorpe, or Paddy Pantsdown etc etc. There is a large pool of iffy politicians, possibly larger than the ones that aren't iffy!

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » April 11th, 2021, 2:44 pm

88V8 wrote:
servodude wrote:
88V8 wrote:And a day free of left wing social-engineering guff.

Wall to wall coverage of the death of a refugee? ;)
When did that last happen?

Oh yes, he was Greek. Weren't they something to do with yoghurt? That explains it.

V8

Nice to have a bit of culture in the royal family.....

Mel

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 11th, 2021, 3:31 pm

servodude wrote:
mark88man wrote:

"President Nigel Farage"
"President Theresa May"

Indeed, as party leader Kinnock managed to lose two general elections (1987 and 1992), a feat otherwise only achieved by Jeremy Corbyn (2017 and 2019) in living memory. The pair of them might reasonably be deemed the two biggest failures as party leaders of recent times, and surely should be represented here if only as the pity vote. Although I am tempted to throw in Gordon Brown there as well.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » April 11th, 2021, 4:19 pm

Dod101 wrote:What is the point of Pointless Celebrities?

Dod

The clue is in the name. Have you ever watched Pointless?

TJH

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » April 11th, 2021, 4:31 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:What is the point of Pointless Celebrities?

Dod

The clue is in the name. Have you ever watched Pointless?

TJH

The main point is to make jokes around the word pointless, the main one being that contestants complete for a "Pointless Trophy".

Nb - I enjoy watching the programme.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » April 11th, 2021, 4:34 pm

Gersemi wrote:The main point is to make jokes around the word pointless, the main one being that contestants complete for a "Pointless Trophy".

Nb - I enjoy watching the programme.

It is a "Coveted" Pointless Trophy.

TJH

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » April 11th, 2021, 4:46 pm

Lootman wrote:
servodude wrote:
mark88man wrote:For a bit of left wing balance how about failed politicians
"President Nigel Farage"
"President Theresa May"

Indeed, as party leader Kinnock managed to lose two general elections (1987 and 1992), a feat otherwise only achieved by Jeremy Corbyn (2017 and 2019) in living memory. The pair of them might reasonably be deemed the two biggest failures as party leaders of recent times, and surely should be represented here if only as the pity vote. Although I am tempted to throw in Gordon Brown there as well.

Huh?

Haven't loads of other parties also lost numerous elections with the same leaders? Monster Raving Loony, for example, but more sensibly, what about Liberals? David Steel looks like he lost three in a row! And LibDem, Paddy Ashdown surely lost a few?

Mel

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 11th, 2021, 4:52 pm

BBC offers staff 'grief counselling' over Prince Philip's death https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... hilip.html

Scott.

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Postby simsqu » April 11th, 2021, 4:57 pm

BellaHubby wrote:
simsqu wrote:
AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
I fear the title of this thread, which was meant to be a faux sarcastic comment on the demise of the MasterChef final and nothing more, has been hijacked into a Prince Philip Book of Remembrance.

How were we to know? You are normally sooooo serious

bh

Well, quite

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » April 11th, 2021, 5:00 pm

faux sarcastic comment

Understand the sarcasm - but what's 'faux' about it?

T7

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » April 11th, 2021, 5:01 pm

swill453 wrote:BBC offers staff 'grief counselling' over Prince Philip's death https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... hilip.html

Scott.

This is undoubtedly just 'spin' - all govt arms length bodies and most employers provide a counselling service available for all staff and they remind staff of its existence at times of change or any national crisis or any national event at all. We remind people all the time and especially new lockdowns are announced etc. I would imagine the BBC has just reminded people theirs exists and that's quite right - some people will have had to handle the news directly, be the first to announce it etc and as the service will already exist there is no cost to the employer to promote it and you don't really know how anything affects people.

My dad died around this time last year and in fact I found the death of PP quite emotional - I feel like it's the end of an era, he was there just in the background, just *being*, steady and reliable. Same as a father - just there, being. And when they are not, your thoughts change when you think about them and it can trigger further grief.

Mel

(nb I did not actually read the DM link)

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Postby simsqu » April 11th, 2021, 5:05 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:I'd also like to offer my sincere and profuse apologies to simsqu for moving off the focus of the thread, albeit I did genuinely believe it was a side swipe at the man who has passed away and his family.

AiY

No. It was a genuine heartfelt disappointment at the postponement of a much loved competitive cooking programme that I had been looking forward to. I am still looking forward to it, and I still don't know when it will be shown. In all seriousness, that has caused me far more upset than the death of the Duke of Edinburgh.

I did not know the Duke, and I am not going to wring my hands and pretend to be upset.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 11th, 2021, 5:11 pm

swill453 wrote:BBC offers staff 'grief counselling' over Prince Philip's death https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... hilip.html

So let me get this straight. The loony right wing Daily Mail is criticising the loony left wing BBC because the corporation is over-egging its grief about the loss of a 99 year old bastion of the right wing? After devoting "far too much" time to the demise of the poor chap?

What, exactly, would the BBC have had to do to play this one to the DM's satisfaction?

BJ

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » April 11th, 2021, 5:17 pm

bungeejumper wrote:

So let me get this straight. The loony right wing Daily Mail is criticising the loony left wing BBC because the corporation is over-egging its grief about the loss of a 99 year old bastion of the right wing? After devoting "far too much" time to the demise of the poor chap?

What, exactly, would the BBC have had to do to play this one to the DM's satisfaction?

BJ

Not exist.

Mel

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 11th, 2021, 5:32 pm

melonfool wrote:
Lootman wrote:
servodude wrote:That's three iffy prime ministers and whatever that other guy was I'll grant you that

Haven't loads of other parties also lost numerous elections with the same leaders? Monster Raving Loony, for example, but more sensibly, what about Liberals? David Steel looks like he lost three in a row! And LibDem, Paddy Ashdown surely lost a few?l

Yes, I meant of the two large parties that can conceivably win power. The minor parties expect to routinely lose.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » April 11th, 2021, 6:04 pm

Where was I when HRH The Prince Phil died? Simply at home thinking.

What was poignant, was that I was reflecting happily that I'd fully recovered from the sad loss of Winston Churchill.

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Postby simsqu » April 11th, 2021, 6:13 pm

terminal7 wrote:
faux sarcastic comment

Understand the sarcasm - but what's 'faux' about it?

T7

Sorry, nothing. I was being sarcastic

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”