Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

An unusual exchange

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Re: An unusual exchange

Postby brightncheerful » April 13th, 2021, 11:10 am

On Saturday morning last at about 0545 whilst driving along a main road I noticed a couple of youngsters, boy and girl, huddled together n the doorway of a house fronting the road. I travel the same route every week about the same time and hadn't seen them before. It was cold, temperature about 2.5C, and no one else around.

I considered stopping, reversing and calling out of the car window to ask if they were were ok but thought better of it in case they were druggies or possibly he or she wasn't allowed in the house, or whatever.

On the way home, a few hours later, I avoided hitting a female pheasant that was standing motionless in the same main road a few miles from the huddlers, i guess having been stunned by a hit-and-run passing vehicle.

many things are best left to others to deal with as necessary, but the images of both experiences are on my mind.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 13th, 2021, 1:10 pm

bungeejumper wrote:The way I remember it, squatting was only non-illegal if you'd gained access to the property without breaking or forcing anything. That would probably mean that you'd come in through an unsecured window, or that you'd got a key from a former tenant. Otherwise you'd be up for breaking and entering. (I'm not sure whether lock-picking would count as forced entry? I'd imagine so?)

Plenty of squatters would reach amicable agreements with the utility suppliers and would pay their way quite happily. It all seems like another country these days. No wonder Maggie cracked down on it. She'd have had a hard time getting the poll tax out of them. :lol:

My memory about it all is a bit faded now, since this was 45 or so years ago. There was definitely no problem with utilities, which I think someone may have registered for, not that that took much back in those days as you could register for utilities in any name you chose. Definitely no council tax or whatever it was back then.

As for gaining entry, as I recall in one case we had a key from a former tenant. In fact he let us know when he was leaving so the squat started on that same day. In the other case, I levered the door open but then repaired the damage so there was no sign of forced entry. I changed the locks so that I had a key and others didn't. We actually had the police come round once but when they saw we were civil and responsible, they left again. I think I may have offered them a cup of tea.

Squats were quite a thing back then as councils were leaving lots of houses empty for whatever reason. Squatting was considered a legitimate form of political protest, although I wasn't really interested in that, just saving money for my first house purchase. We paid the utility bills, generally looked after the place and left peacefully on the negotiated end date.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » April 13th, 2021, 2:00 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:
Bang goes my good deed for the day. Would you have done anything differently?

HYD

I think it was an excellent good deed. I fear that I would probably have passed by and ignored the rough sleeper.
I commend your action.

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » April 13th, 2021, 2:40 pm

From what I've read the people that are homeless are so for a complex set of reasons. And hence solving the problem or their problem requires a bit of work/thinking. And as ever it's better to show the horse the way to water rather than drag them there - they will be more likely to drink when they get there.

I've read that lots of the beggars in my home town are not homeless but merely taking advantage of people's generosity. I don't like to encourage it anyway as I think it's better in the long run.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » April 13th, 2021, 4:17 pm

Lootman wrote:I have more respect for panhandlers who are honest and say they want the money for drugs.

I once offered an untouched package of fish and chips to a homeless person holding up a sign begging for "money for food". He turned it down.

I also offered a full pepperoni pizza to another homeless guy begging for food and, again, he rejected it.

Maybe both were vegetarian junkies?

Yes, I recall a similar situation when I proffered a £20 note to a chap that was sleeping rough.

"That's very decent of you" he said, "but my accountant tells me that I've already earned enough for this tax year". ;)

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » April 13th, 2021, 4:28 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:Would you have done anything differently?

Yes, I'm afraid I think you were shockingly insensitive.

It was quite clear from his expression when he mentioned drugs that he was hoping that's what was on offer. He was too polite to say so specifically, but as you'd evidently realised that's what he wanted the decent thing would have been to enquire as to his favourite tipple and then used your notes to acquire some for him.

As a young American he was probably unfamiliar with the English etiquette for the purchase of narcotics, and I rather feel you've let the side down by not offering the hospitality that would have been expected of an Englishman to a citizen of the former Colonies.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » April 13th, 2021, 7:13 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:Would you have done anything differently?

Yes, I'm afraid I think you were shockingly insensitive.

It was quite clear from his expression when he mentioned drugs that he was hoping that's what was on offer. He was too polite to say so specifically, but as you'd evidently realised that's what he wanted the decent thing would have been to enquire as to his favourite tipple and then used your notes to acquire some for him.

As a young American he was probably unfamiliar with the English etiquette for the purchase of narcotics, and I rather feel you've let the side down by not offering the hospitality that would have been expected of an Englishman to a citizen of the former Colonies.

:D

HYD

JuanDB
2 Lemon pips

Postby JuanDB » April 13th, 2021, 7:38 pm

I was once approached by a seemingly homeless man. “Mate, I haven’t eaten in two days, can you spare a few quid?”.

As it happens I didn’t have any cash on me at all. I did however have an M&S sandwich which I said he was welcome to.

His response?

“What the eff do you expect me to do with that?”

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 13th, 2021, 10:06 pm

JuanDB wrote:I was once approached by a seemingly homeless man. “Mate, I haven’t eaten in two days, can you spare a few quid?”.

As it happens I didn’t have any cash on me at all. I did however have an M&S sandwich which I said he was welcome to.

His response?

Sounds like a very fair response to an M&S sandwich.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » April 13th, 2021, 11:18 pm

One of my friends, a batty animal lover, often gives beggars with dogs a can of dog food. Usually accepted with good grace.

Gryff

Sorcery
Lemon Quarter

Postby Sorcery » April 13th, 2021, 11:23 pm

In response to the OP, you might have helped him by showing the nearest psychedelic mushrooms. Personally I need a guide. :lol:

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 13th, 2021, 11:24 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
JuanDB wrote:I was once approached by a seemingly homeless man. “Mate, I haven’t eaten in two days, can you spare a few quid?”.

His response?

M&S sandwiches aren't too bad. I will eat one if I can't find a Pret a Manger.

If you want to meet a really bad sandwich I would like to show you the selection offered at my local petrol station.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 13th, 2021, 11:40 pm

Lootman wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:

His response?

M&S sandwiches aren't too bad. I will eat one if I can't find a Pret a Manger.

Thinking back to when I was in the throes of moving house, and eating a meal-deal lunch many days for a couple of weeks, I remember the M&S as a huge disappointment. For a lunch meal deal, there are two outstanding (and perhaps unexpected) vendors: Tesco and the Coop. In both cases I'll get a genuinely-interesting salad rather than anything involving bread.

For a bread-based lunch on the move, can't beat an Upper Crust baguette, Sadly they have no presence in southwest England. The nearest I'm aware of are Bristol and Southampton, and that's a lot further than I can travel while we have covid rules.

If you want to meet a really bad sandwich I would like to show you the selection offered at my local petrol station.

How about the Ginsters abominations at many stations. Including the ghastly Westbury, where in non-covid times I regularly changed train? OK I can believe a petrol station might offer something even worse if they try hard enough.

JuanDB
2 Lemon pips

Postby JuanDB » April 14th, 2021, 7:46 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:

His response?

12 years later, now the whole exchange makes sense!

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » April 14th, 2021, 11:15 am

Some years ago in Oxford near Carfax walking towards the High I passed a middle-aged very down-and-out who was rummaging through a litter bin and eating anything edible.
I had bought two sandwich packs for lunch and I just walked past.
I regret to this day not giving one or both to him and still mentally curse myself as an uncaring moron.
My conscience still pricks me.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » April 14th, 2021, 5:19 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote: Including the ghastly Westbury,

Thats all you need say...

(caveat: Westbury RFC are a top bunch of people :-) )

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » April 14th, 2021, 7:52 pm

JuanDB wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:

His response?

No it doesn’t, it was a silly comment. To try and say that someone who is hungry would refuse a sandwich from M&S is ridiculous when you think about it.

The poster who said it claimed to have been homeless himself so should be more careful with his words, although given he has already admitted that he didn’t need any money whilst homeless, he’s hardly a typical case.

HYD

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 14th, 2021, 9:53 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:
JuanDB wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Sounds like a very fair response to an M&S sandwich.

No it doesn’t, it was a silly comment.
HYD

Might I humbly suggest that his response to me may have been as tongue-in-cheek as my comment on the sandwich?

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » April 14th, 2021, 10:25 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:
JuanDB wrote:

HYD

Might I humbly suggest that his response to me may have been as tongue-in-cheek as my comment on the sandwich?

It wasn’t his comment that bothered me, it was yours.

You said that you have experience in this matter so you should know better than to belittle your peers.

HYD

JuanDB
2 Lemon pips

Postby JuanDB » April 15th, 2021, 8:34 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:
JuanDB wrote:

HYD

I can confirm. I took your comment in the spirit I believed it to be intended and responded in kind.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”