Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Contract plagiarism

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Re: Contract plagiarism

Postby brightncheerful » May 7th, 2021, 10:55 pm

Although temptation would be to refuse the cash and write a rubbish essay for free, filled with direct plagiarism of my own work that a University plagiarism detection algorithm would find in two seconds flat.

I would think that as a professional, even writing a rubbish essay for free I would have a duty of care in tort.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » May 7th, 2021, 11:29 pm

Charlottesquare wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:In my day (1951), you had to have a credit in School Certificate Latin to go to a top university.

Certainly more women at university nowadays. In my year of Chemistry there were only 5 women, one from each of the Ladies Colleges. One of those was a nun.

TJH

I suspect that was financial.

My Dad and two of his brothers won bursaries to go, my mum was an only child so her father supported her going to Edinburgh but had she had brothers that would have been unlikely. Similar thought processes applied with my stepmother, whilst she was academically gifted (Dux of her school, Holy Cross Academy, Edinburgh) it was her younger brother who was supported to university in the 1940s, the family could not afford two. Same happened with my grandfather much earlier (pre WW1), he apprenticed as a tailor (like his father) and his brother was sent to Glasgow, their sisters would never have been considered for the one university place the family could afford to support.

I had a State Scholarship, most others had County Major Scholarships, which were automatic if you had a place. In 1953 that covered tuition and a maintenance grant of about £100 a term, means tested to your parent's income. My father had passed away in early 1953, so I got a full grant. I still needed to get a job in the Long Vacation (I went Bus Conducting) and I did the Christmas Post. I also did my National Service Reserve Service in the University Air Squadron, which paid a little bit for Easter and Summer Camps.

As I recall, a College Scholarship was £100 a year, and an Exhibition was £25 a year. If you got one, it was made up with a State Scholarship, but again means tested. My Chemistry Teacher at school had had a Scholarship, but in the 1930s that was it. It just about covered your College Bills. As you say, not many families could support a student without some sort of grant or bursary.

TJH

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » May 8th, 2021, 9:46 am

Charlottesquare wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:
genou wrote:I recall that O Grade Latin was still a requirement to read Law at Glasgow ( that would have been entry 75, which may, memory willing, have been the last year in which that was true ). At that time the postal address was

The University
Glasgow

which they have given up, since it caused endless grief at other, younger, institutions. I'm not sure I have a view on how many should go to Uni, but I recall that for my cohort, a degree involved under 9% of the population.

In my day (1951), you had to have a credit in School Certificate Latin to go to a top university.

Certainly more women at university nowadays. In my year of Chemistry there were only 5 women, one from each of the Ladies Colleges. One of those was a nun.

TJH

I suspect that was financial.

My Dad and two of his brothers won bursaries to go, my mum was an only child so her father supported her going to Edinburgh but had she had brothers that would have been unlikely. Similar thought processes applied with my stepmother, whilst she was academically gifted (Dux of her school, Holy Cross Academy, Edinburgh) it was her younger brother who was supported to university in the 1940s, the family could not afford two. Same happened with my grandfather much earlier (pre WW1), he apprenticed as a tailor (like his father) and his brother was sent to Glasgow, their sisters would never have been considered for the one university place the family could afford to support.

Yes - my wife's mother was one of the two daughters who supported their brother to go to St Andrews University.
However by the late fifties Macmillan's "never had it so good" had come true for both working class men and women who aspired to higher education - with means tested grants and zero fees. There was still a lingering cultural battle to be fought - with many able girls leaving school at fifteen, getting a job, and waiting for a husband. However, encouraged by our parents, my sister, from a mining community, went off to Edinburgh University, and I followed on in the early sixties.
There is, however, still a level of sexual apartheid in course selection. E.G UK women are still substantially under-represented in Engineering. In my student days, there were probably less than 20% women taking Physics (called Natural Philosophy in Scotland), while my wife remembers about 50% in Chemistry. (p.s. we both had higher Latin - and it helped us to read the grade of our degrees on our scrolls :) )

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » May 8th, 2021, 10:07 am

My mother left school at 16 in 1953. Her parents (in particular her father I believe) wanted her to stay on at school and to university. She left a) because she was a bit bolshy and didn't want to be told what to do (!) and b) because she thought that the only job she would be able to do was teaching and she didn't want to do that. Her younger sister (there were no brothers) did go to university . . . and became a teacher.

So I think one aspect to consider is that there were very few role models of what women could become. The idea that the thing women should aim for was to become a wife and mother, I think, particularly within lower class families, seems to have been prevailent at the time. She went to work in a bank and had to resign when she got pregnant (after getting married, my Dad got a pay rise). It takes a long time to change things.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 8th, 2021, 10:57 am

scotia wrote:There is, however, still a level of sexual apartheid in course selection. E.G UK women are still substantially under-represented in Engineering. In my student days, there were probably less than 20% women taking Physics (called Natural Philosophy in Scotland), while my wife remembers about 50% in Chemistry.

One of the advantages of doing languages (late sixties) was that the female students outnumbered the males by six to one. :lol:

In fact, having arrived from an all-boys' school, it was just a teensy bit intimidating at first. But we got used to it pretty fast. There are consolations for being a scarce commodity. ;)

BJ

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » May 8th, 2021, 11:46 am

Somewhere I have a certificate issued to my father in 1915, allowing him to leave school at 11 in order to help the war effort. I believe that he started as an errand boy, then got a job with a surveyor working underground in the coal mines, holding the other end of the tape, and other such tasks. Then he became a surveyor himself, and eventually the manager of their office, by then part of the NCB.

My mother left school at 16, I expect in 1922, and worked in a dress shop until she was married in 1928. One of her aunts had been a teacher until she got married, when retirement was compulsory. An uncle was also a teacher and was headmaster of their local junior school. One of my uncles did a teacher training course after demob from the Navy in 1946, but no further teachers in the family until two of my cousins, one female then her brother, went that way in the early 60s.

Of course the Depression had an effect on what people did and could do in the 1920s. WW2 made a big difference, especially for women teachers and others, who did not have to give up their jobs if they got married.

TJH

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » May 9th, 2021, 10:19 pm

Charlottesquare wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:
scotia wrote:Agreed

In the UK if you are in a regulated profession (accountant, solicitor etc) and become aware of such an attempted fraud you have a duty to report it and are committing an offence if you don't.

Not sure the proximity to monetary gain is close enough to make a SAR, is there actually a fraud or is there merely attempted deception? In addition you tend to have to come across the issue in the course of your professional activities, albeit the OP is I think a solicitor and presumably it was via his professional website..

The OP is a surveyor.

Burgess and another v Lejonvarn (2020) EWCA Civ 114; [2020] PLSCS 18 - Mr and Mrs Burgess employed their friend and former neighbour, Mrs Lejonvarn, an architect, to assist with an extensive landscaping project in their garden. They did not enter into a contract - Mrs Lejonvarn provided the assistance free of charge - and, when they were left unhappy with the quality and progress of the work, claimed damages of £265,000.

The court found that the architect owed a duty of care which arose on the basis of an assumption of responsibility. Mrs Lejonvarn offered her skills knowing that Mr and Mrs Burgess would expect and need a quality service. She did not have to provide the services, but to the extent that she did, she owed a duty to exercise reasonable skill and care in the provision of them.

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » May 10th, 2021, 5:04 pm

brightncheerful wrote:
Charlottesquare wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:
In the UK if you are in a regulated profession (accountant, solicitor etc) and become aware of such an attempted fraud you have a duty to report it and are committing an offence if you don't.

Not sure the proximity to monetary gain is close enough to make a SAR, is there actually a fraud or is there merely attempted deception? In addition you tend to have to come across the issue in the course of your professional activities, albeit the OP is I think a solicitor and presumably it was via his professional website..

The OP is a surveyor.

Burgess and another v Lejonvarn (2020) EWCA Civ 114; [2020] PLSCS 18 - Mr and Mrs Burgess employed their friend and former neighbour, Mrs Lejonvarn, an architect, to assist with an extensive landscaping project in their garden. They did not enter into a contract - Mrs Lejonvarn provided the assistance free of charge - and, when they were left unhappy with the quality and progress of the work, claimed damages of £265,000.

The court found that the architect owed a duty of care which arose on the basis of an assumption of responsibility. Mrs Lejonvarn offered her skills knowing that Mr and Mrs Burgess would expect and need a quality service. She did not have to provide the services, but to the extent that she did, she owed a duty to exercise reasonable skill and care in the provision of them.

Not sure how that relates to whether a SAR needs to be submitted.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”