Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Emperor's new clothes or a masterpiece?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Re: Emperor's new clothes or a masterpiece?

Postby dionaeamuscipula » September 10th, 2021, 1:53 pm

SimonS wrote:
In the commentary accompanying the rothko sale item
"As with many of those greatest works, the present example is rendered in a deeply penetrative black oil paint which coalesces in three abyssal zones that float over a smoldering field of garnet. With its rich and tonal depth of color, emphasized by the masterfully feathered brushstrokes,"

You need to get close enough to appreciate that luminous quality of blackness, the rich contrast between the dark and the garnet, the effective reflection of fractalism in the fringe where garnet becomes black and the vague threat of tectonic violence in the echoes of seismograpkic vibration surrounding the dark of the human condition.

At least that's what my TOMAI** programme suggests .

SimonS

Ps ** AI for the manipulation of taurine offcast.

Love Rothko but you have to view in the flesh, never seen a photo that does him justice.

Helps *a lot* to know the context of the piece.

Even though I am a traditionalist at heart in most things, I've seen a lot of the most famous bits of modern art along the way ("Sensation" for example, plus I used to live near the Saatchi Gallery when it was in SJW). Really liked a surprising amount of it, though I'd never pay the prices. Even the bricks.

DM

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » September 10th, 2021, 2:16 pm

SimonS wrote:You need to get close enough to appreciate ..... the effective reflection of fractalism in the fringe where garnet becomes black

The only works I know of that contain fractals are by Jackson Pollock. Quite how he found out how to create them - presumably a combination of his own brushstroke directions and 'randomly' dripping paint - is unclear but effective.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 10th, 2021, 4:20 pm

kiloran wrote:
Clitheroekid wrote:This, for example - http://www.rudedo.be/amarant09/wp-conte ... olke08.jpg - has an estimate of $8–12 million, but doesn't look any better to me for being told:

By breaking down the cohesiveness of the picture, Polke subverts the authority of the image, questioning the ‘objective truth’ of its subject, and unraveling the romantic promise offered by commercial images in postwar Germany.

I sometimes question whether I should be sad or proud that I am incapable of writing such a sentence.
Then I come to my senses and know that I am proud.

There's a time and a place for that.

Private Eye calls it Pseuds Corner.

SimonS
Lemon Slice

Postby SimonS » September 16th, 2021, 8:50 pm

Mike4 wrote:The debate reminds me of the claim that Formula One motor racing is dull because all the cars just go around and around the track and who cares if the red one or the blue one wins?

For F1 to have meaning one needs to know who the drivers are, their records, their rivalries, their histories with the various constructor teams, the constructor teams, their histories, who runs them and who works for them, and on it all goes. Then seeing a race begins to make sense, as does all the pre-race qualifying.

Really? In the good old days, I watched Graham Hill turn up in Thruxton paddock, his Formula 1 car on a trailer towed by his Rover. Among the drivers at the meeting was a young driver with prospects, Michael Shumacher. He crashed, which was a regular occurrence.There were lots of cars on the grid, the track limit was 30 I think. The BBC were there filming for Grandstand and F1 was just one of the classes they recorded.

Then came Bernie Ecclestone and F1 became a circus, and it now looks as if it is simply a reality TV programme with the results choreographed so that the last race of the season will always be a 'cliffhanger'. Part of the change has been the ever increasing length of 'Talkshow' where talking heads analyse and re-analyse events, with the result that some fans have been persuaded that they really need all the analysis to increase their viewing pleasure. But as David Coulthard so often says, this isn't real, it's what the fans are being fed to increase the marketing opportunities.

F1 watchers today are like the old Big Brother watchers of yesteryear, or the fans of any TV reality shows, what appears on the screen follows the script, even if the fans deny it. They were even talking of introducing the IndyCar 'mandatory safety car'. If there hasn't been a safety car by the time 75% of the race is done, the MSC is called. Lapped cars are allowed to unlap themselves (they are waved past the grid and do enough laps so that they rejoin the grid on the same lap as the leaders). Then there's a sprint for the finish usually over about 10 laps. On at least one occasion someone who has been a lap or more behind when the MSC is called has won the Sprint and thus the whole race. But then analysis as shown that the American audience isn't interested in 'the race', they just want to see cars overtaking and crashing.

Now, I'm not saying that the plethora of 'factoids' doesn't make your day more interesting, any more than knowing that various eyesight deficiencies are probably responsible for certain painters' signature styles. But I often think that the detailed analysis by 'not the painter, are often a cover-up for someone paid to make the business of art appreciation profitable....a bit like the waffle put out by the commentators filling in the gaps between the adverts at F1.

SimonS

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”