Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

So UFO's DO officially exist ...

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

So UFO's DO officially exist ...

Postby Clitheroekid » May 20th, 2021, 4:32 pm

... but now they're UAP's - https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ufo-milita ... 021-05-16/

I'd love to know what it was that those pilots actually saw.

88V8
Lemon Half

Re: So UFO's DO officially exist ...

Postby 88V8 » May 20th, 2021, 5:21 pm

Given that visitors from other planets are going to be waaaaay ahead of us technically, I'm surprised we get even a glimpse of them.
Do I believe there's 'something' up there?
Sure. They'll want to make sure we don't become a galactic nuisance.

V8

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » May 20th, 2021, 5:33 pm

David Fravor is a navy pilot of 18 years and a primary witness in one of the most credible UFO sightings in history.

Learnt quite a lot about radar too.

David Fravor: UFOs, Aliens, Fighter Jets, and Aerospace Engineering | Lex Fridman Podcast #122

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB8zcAttP1E

RC

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » May 21st, 2021, 12:49 pm

88V8 wrote:Given that visitors from other planets are going to be waaaaay ahead of us technically, I'm surprised we get even a glimpse of them.

V8

Agreed. I don't understand why any advanced civilisation would have to send large spaceships to our planet. Just think of A.I. and nanotechnology a thousand years in the future. Just scatter a handful of nanobots all over the planet and observe us from afar.

Steve

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 21st, 2021, 2:44 pm

stevensfo wrote:
88V8 wrote:
Given that visitors from other planets are going to be waaaaay ahead of us technically, I'm surprised we get even a glimpse of them.

Agreed.

I don't understand why any advanced civilisation would have to send large spaceships to our planet. Just think of A.I. and nanotechnology a thousand years in the future.

Just scatter a handful of nanobots all over the planet and observe us from afar.

But surely those sensible, more secretive alien scientists will have local issues with whatever their version of 'Extinction Rebellion' are called on Planet Smog, who fight for their right to be known and recognised across the galaxy -

T͎̭̔ͦ̉ͥ͋̆̓ͅh̦̭̗̫͉̖ͩ̌ͪ̏ͥ̅͒e̺̩̤͗͂ͧ̓̋̑̚y̟͈̪̗͒̅͌ ͎̝̺mͣ͛̑̃u͓͈s̯̤̤͕̱̄́̏ͣ̆̚ṱ̥̪̉̂̔͆ ͎̺͇b̓͒e͖̲͚͕̊ͥͥ̉̎ ͮ͊͌͌̎̄ṡ̱̪̝̘ͤ̾͑ͣ̚h̳͌̒͒̑̍o̅͌ͨw̦̰̻͖̠͗n͉̱ͣ̔ͮ ͓̦̿̃̐̋t̤̼̘̼ͭh͕̼͔a̽ͯ͒̃͑ͯt͐̿̉ ͦw͆ͬ̈́͐̇̾͛e̫̮̰̯ͦ̔̆ͬͬ̉ͮ ͔̻͈ͩ̅ͫ̆̌͌E̳̺͇̠̙̻ͨ͂̆X̼̱͈ͪ̒Ĩ͎̩̤S͈̲̠̩̠̆ͪ̏̑͛̾͐Tͦ́͊ͭ
͔̠͒͒̉

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » May 21st, 2021, 3:04 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
stevensfo wrote:
88V8 wrote:

Agreed.

I don't understand why any advanced civilisation would have to send large spaceships to our planet. Just think of A.I. and nanotechnology a thousand years in the future.

Just scatter a handful of nanobots all over the planet and observe us from afar.

But surely those sensible, more secretive alien scientists will have local issues with whatever their version of 'Extinction Rebellion' are called on Planet Smog, who fight for their right to be known and recognised across the galaxy -

T͎̭̔ͦ̉ͥ͋̆̓ͅh̦̭̗̫͉̖ͩ̌ͪ̏ͥ̅͒e̺̩̤͗͂ͧ̓̋̑̚y̟͈̪̗͒̅͌ ͎̝̺mͣ͛̑̃u͓͈s̯̤̤͕̱̄́̏ͣ̆̚ṱ̥̪̉̂̔͆ ͎̺͇b̓͒e͖̲͚͕̊ͥͥ̉̎ ͮ͊͌͌̎̄ṡ̱̪̝̘ͤ̾͑ͣ̚h̳͌̒͒̑̍o̅͌ͨw̦̰̻͖̠͗n͉̱ͣ̔ͮ ͓̦̿̃̐̋t̤̼̘̼ͭh͕̼͔a̽ͯ͒̃͑ͯt͐̿̉ ͦw͆ͬ̈́͐̇̾͛e̫̮̰̯ͦ̔̆ͬͬ̉ͮ ͔̻͈ͩ̅ͫ̆̌͌E̳̺͇̠̙̻ͨ͂̆X̼̱͈ͪ̒Ĩ͎̩̤S͈̲̠̩̠̆ͪ̏̑͛̾͐Tͦ́͊ͭ
͔̠͒͒̉

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Of course, just because they can travel through space, doesn't mean that they are hyper intelligent. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDuIdeLMMfc

Steve

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 21st, 2021, 6:28 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:... but now they're UAP's - https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ufo-milita ... 021-05-16/

I'd love to know what it was that those pilots actually saw.

Me too!

In simple terms I am a non believer in UFOs. UAPs a different matter! But, do UAPs equal UFOs (as normally 'understood')?
Even listening to the verbal description from pilots after the event is frustrating - so many unclear matters, so many queries one has that are not addressed.

How would one even set about 'researching' UFOs/UAPs? All one usually has are these after the event descriptions. One can't go and look. As I have seen mentioned in another article, a few years ago now I thought the growing ubiquity of mobile phones with cameras ought to produce more pictorial evidence (plus GPS data?) if there was anything to see. Has this happened?

Unless surveillance satellite data can provide some useful information I can't see what really can.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » May 21st, 2021, 6:45 pm

XFool wrote:In simple terms I am a non believer in UFOs. UAPs a different matter! But, do UAPs equal UFOs (as normally 'understood')?

I think so, it's just that the term UFO has been 'debased' because it's used by more 'imaginative' or conspiracy minded people and UAP is a less loaded expression.

RC

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 21st, 2021, 7:04 pm

Well UFOs do exist in the original sense as there are unidentified flying objects (and likewise UAPs) - doesn't mean they are 'alien'
They could be;
(a) alien
(b) time travellers from the future earth!
(c) advanced technologies of terrestrial origin (hypersonic drones etc)
(d) natural phenomena (earthlights/ball lightning etc)

If (c) they might be Chinese/Russian or an ultra secret US black project

The whole field is full of misinformation and weirdos. The classic 'flying saucer' shape actually comes from a possible misreading of one of the original eyewitness reports in 1947, where the motion was described as like saucers 'they flew erratic, like a saucer if you skip it across the water."
The famous Roswell incident was almost certainly a surveillance balloon impact (Project Mogul) which generated a huge amount of folklore

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 21st, 2021, 7:14 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:
XFool wrote:In simple terms I am a non believer in UFOs. UAPs a different matter! But, do UAPs equal UFOs (as normally 'understood')?

I think so, it's just that the term UFO has been 'debased' because it's used by more 'imaginative' or conspiracy minded people and UAP is a less loaded expression.

I know what you mean and possibly that was the reason for the change in terminology. But that wasn't quite what I meant. I prefer UAP because it is accurate and neutral and because it doesn't carry the UFO baggage. i.e. UFO generally implies 'little green men from outer space'.

The fair criticism of UFO to my mind is it assumes both Flying and an Object. Whereas 'it' may not be an 'Object' and, unless 'Flying' is taken as something simply 'flying through the air', as opposed to actually flying in air, it is ambiguous or misleading. And what if it were stationary? UAP is more general and neutral as to what 'it' is or is doing.

The thing that always bothers me in these reports of UAEs/UFOs, even from professionals, is when they say thing like: "It was about 40 feet across" "bigger than a house" "travelling at over 2000 mph" etc.

Hang on! You are saying it is Unidentified. So it isn't anything you recognise? So you can't know what size it is? Hence how far away it is? Hence how fast it is really moving? Humans don't have inbuilt RADAR or LIDAR. So to my mind the only things you can know visually are things like shape, colour, spacial extent, position, apparent direction of movement and possibly perceived angular change rate.

Spatial "size", "distance", "relative speed" - How?
Last edited by XFool on May 21st, 2021, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » May 21st, 2021, 7:20 pm

Oh please ...

We now have camera technology that can see the difference in colour on the hairs on my arm ( :lol: ) from the moon. Yet every time I see a UFO or UAP the footage is so grainy I can't tell if I've developed glaucoma or been drinking meths for a week.

A Daring class destroyer can track over 1,000 objects less than the size of a tennis ball over 70 miles away at the same time.

I think we need to look much more closely at what the US isn't saying :shock:

Just saying like

AiY

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 21st, 2021, 7:31 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:Oh please ...

We now have camera technology that can see the difference in colour on the hairs on my arm ( :lol: ) from the moon.

Well that's (sort of) true. But, with very high magnification comes a very small field of view. Unless you are pointing accurately at a thing you won't be seeing it at all. I take it if UFOs posted their position on the Internet ahead of time for our convenience, we would already be entirely familiar with them. ;)

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:I think we need to look much more closely at what the US isn't saying :shock:

Just saying like

So what is it you are saying the US isn't saying? If that even makes sense as a question...

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » May 21st, 2021, 8:09 pm

XFool wrote:
AsleepInYorkshire wrote:Oh please ...

We now have camera technology that can see the difference in colour on the hairs on my arm ( :lol: ) from the moon.

Well that's (sort of) true. But, with very high magnification comes a very small field of view. Unless you are pointing accurately at a thing you won't be seeing it at all. I take it if UFOs posted their position on the Internet ahead of time for our convenience, we would already be entirely familiar with them. ;)

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:I think we need to look much more closely at what the US isn't saying :shock:

Just saying like

So what is it you are saying the US isn't saying? If that even makes sense as a question...

Two rooms. One room says USA on the door. The other says nothing. A guy gives you a gun and tells you that in the USA room is a man with a gun. He cannot tell you about the other room as he knows nothing about it. You have to enter one room as the air is running out in the room you're in.

Which room are you probably more likely to enter?

AiY

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 21st, 2021, 8:23 pm

the one with the goat behind it

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » May 21st, 2021, 8:40 pm

The link I posted up-thread is long at nearly 4 hours, but if you start at about 1hr 11m you will hear the UAP story. Briefly, objects were seen by a cruiser off the coast of California. A few days later objects were seen again and planes took off from an aircraft carrier. The object was detected by different types of radar on both ships and planes, chase was made and a video was taken.

The video can be seen here:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/research/a30538203/navy-ufo-video-investigation/

RC

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » May 21st, 2021, 9:26 pm

Worth a read is Lt Jean Plantier's 1953 explanation of how such objects would move - given a 'field of force' that could be directed.
French original : http://www.ovni.ch/archives/plantier.htm
English trans : https://ufologie.patrickgross.org/htm/plantier53.htm

He was surprisingly prescient about some of the odd features of UFOs and their manoeuvrability that have been observed subsequently

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » May 21st, 2021, 10:43 pm

When i clicked on the link in the op my screen went dark.

I wonder if 'accept cookies' is a UFO greeting?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 26th, 2021, 7:04 pm

Source - https://extrafabulouscomics.com/

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » May 26th, 2021, 7:22 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:

͔̠͒͒̉

How'd you do that ?!?

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 26th, 2021, 7:29 pm

mc2fool wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:

͔̠͒͒̉

How'd you do that ?!?

Alien technology?

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”