Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Pub Rules

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Pub Rules

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 24th, 2021, 2:52 pm

Just spoke to a local pub about booking for a meal. For next week, when the weather's supposed to be better!

I wasn't surprised when they told me they still have covid-confusing rules: two households, six people, something like that. But that's for inside. Surely the rules are less onerous for outside? Apparently not: it's still limited to six people :evil:

Is that right? What happened to the six-inside/thirty-outside limit I thought I'd heard?

This is of course England, and one of the lowest-covid areas.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Re: Pub Rules

Postby terminal7 » May 24th, 2021, 6:57 pm

Uncle - you are getting old!

T7

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » May 24th, 2021, 8:03 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Is that right? What happened to the six-inside/thirty-outside limit I thought I'd heard?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... 21-summary
Step 3 - not before 17 May
Social contact

As part of Step 3, no earlier than 17 May, the government will look to continue easing limits on seeing friends and family wherever possible, allowing people to decide on the appropriate level of risk for their circumstances.

This means that most legal restrictions on meeting others outdoors will be lifted - although gatherings of over 30 people will remain illegal. Indoors, the Rule of 6 or 2 households will apply - we will keep under review whether it is safe to increase this.

As soon as possible and by no later than Step 3, we will also update the advice on social distancing between friends and family, including hugging. But until this point, people should continue to keep their distance from anyone not in their household or support bubble.

So yes - it COULD be 30.

But that doesnt eman any establishment MUST permit 30. What they MUST NOT do is permit more than thirty. If they want to have their own rule of six for outdoors that is up to them

Or of course they are just confused.

Show them that link

Then again it woudnt hurt for the link to be more definitive, rather than relying on a bit of interpretation.
Last edited by didds on May 24th, 2021, 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 24th, 2021, 8:05 pm

didds wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Is that right? What happened to the six-inside/thirty-outside limit I thought I'd heard?

Call it a wake and you are in. Assuming the establishment are happy to play ball.

Aye. It's a wake for another decade of my life. Dotage beckons.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » May 24th, 2021, 10:52 pm

Until the time comes when I can see a pub, think "I fancy a pint", walk in and get one, the whole "pub thing" simply does not work for me.

Let alone sit shivering in a freezing cold, well-ventilated tent in a bleak pub garden and the rain beating down...

Blimey, glad I got THAT off my chest.

On the other hand, real bell ringing has started again. SO many people say to us how lovely it is to hear the church bells in peal of an evening once again, makes everything seem almost normal!

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 25th, 2021, 12:36 am

Mike4 wrote:Until the time comes when I can see a pub, think "I fancy a pint", walk in and get one, the whole "pub thing" simply does not work for me.

Let alone sit shivering in a freezing cold, well-ventilated tent in a bleak pub garden and the rain beating down...

On the other hand, real bell ringing has started again. SO many people say to us how lovely it is to hear the church bells in peal of an evening once again, makes everything seem almost normal!

I had a lovely pub meal on May 4th, when the weather was bright and sunny - before the latest covid rules update when outside was the only option.

So far as I'm concerned, outside remains the only option until the requirement for germ-incubators is dropped. I confidently expect more bright&sunny weather for my next pub meal

(bells? Are you a campanologist?)

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » May 25th, 2021, 9:14 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:(bells? Are you a campanologist?)

No not really, we call ourselves bell ringers.

"Campanologist" is a term used by non-bell ringers for bell ringers.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 25th, 2021, 9:41 am

Mike4 wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:(bells? Are you a campanologist?)

No not really, we call ourselves bell ringers.

"Campanologist" is a term used by non-bell ringers for bell ringers.

So the next time someone 'rings my bell' I can call them a campanologist, or even a Campanologist?

Dod

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » May 25th, 2021, 10:49 am

Mike4 wrote:On the other hand, real bell ringing has started again. SO many people say to us how lovely it is to hear the church bells in peal of an evening once again, makes everything seem almost normal!

Ours have been ringing for some time now, alternating between chiming, with one person at the controls and a select team, not sure how many, but they make a good sound.

TJH

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 25th, 2021, 12:32 pm

tjh290633 wrote:Ours have been ringing for some time now, alternating between chiming, with one person at the controls and a select team, not sure how many, but they make a good sound.

I once volunteered to ring the two (smallish) bells for a wedding at my local church. Just a simple ding-dong while the bride was arriving. She was forty minutes late. :shock: I had arms like an orang-utan.

BJ

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 25th, 2021, 1:32 pm

Mike4 wrote:Until the time comes when I can see a pub, think "I fancy a pint", walk in and get one, the whole "pub thing" simply does not work for me.

Spot on! Restrictions on group sizes and- worst of all- requirements to book in some cases take the spontaneity out of it.
I'm looking forward to going home and having a random amble around the local pubs without having to worry about restrictions

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » May 25th, 2021, 1:57 pm

as above there are pubs where you can indeed " see a pub, think "I fancy a pint", walk in and get one,"

indoors. not having to sit outside.

unless our town is unique throughout the length and breadth of England (Scotland, Wales & NI may have different rules of course).

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » May 25th, 2021, 1:59 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:So far as I'm concerned, outside remains the only option until the requirement for germ-incubators is dropped. )

inside service is now available in England at least - aside from individual pubs etc deciding otherwise of course. Or of course even though its available one chooses not to avail oneself of that.

And not every pub serves beer at a fiver a pint. two fo my locals serve real ale at £3.20 a pint, and the other three have beers available at well under a fiver (eg £4.20). Of course - a 9% imperial stout wouldnt be expected to sell at under fiver so there are elements of apples and oranges involved .

didds

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » May 25th, 2021, 3:17 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
So far as I'm concerned, outside remains the only option until the requirement for germ-incubators is dropped.

Are you sure it hasn't already?

If one is allowed inside a pub for a pint (even if being seated at a table booked in advance is mandatory), it seems pretty stupid to be expected to wear one's mask whilst drinking it.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 25th, 2021, 3:23 pm

You need to wear a mask when going to the gents I think (not a bad idea given the state of some of them - a full NBC suit might be in order)

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 25th, 2021, 3:30 pm

didds wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:So far as I'm concerned, outside remains the only option until the requirement for germ-incubators is dropped. )

inside service is now available in England at least - aside from individual pubs etc deciding otherwise of course. Or of course even though its available one chooses not to avail oneself of that.

And not every pub serves beer at a fiver a pint. two fo my locals serve real ale at £3.20 a pint, and the other three have beers available at well under a fiver (eg £4.20). Of course - a 9% imperial stout wouldnt be expected to sell at under fiver so there are elements of apples and oranges involved .

didds

We have three pubs in my nearest village/town and they have all opened their doors this last week or so. I doubt if one would need to book a table but I do not know as they are all so awful that I never go near them anyway.. Hotels though are certainly doing drinks indoors although we pay for the privilege!

Dod

Imbiber
Lemon Slice

Postby Imbiber » May 25th, 2021, 6:32 pm

Dod101 wrote:
didds wrote:

didds

We have three pubs in my nearest village/town and they have all opened their doors this last week or so. I doubt if one would need to book a table but I do not know as they are all so awful that I never go near them anyway.. Hotels though are certainly doing drinks indoors although we pay for the privilege!

Dod

Is that from experience ? To have three dire pubs in a village is unusual and perhaps says something about the village itself.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 25th, 2021, 9:18 pm

Imbiber wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
didds wrote:

didds

Dod

Is that from experience ? To have three dire pubs in a village is unusual and perhaps says something about the village itself.

Oh it does. I live about three miles out of it though. Seriously I do not understand why they are so poor quality.

Dod

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”