Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Did you know...?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
onthemove
Lemon Slice

Re: Did you know...?

Postby onthemove » June 1st, 2021, 11:22 pm

Sunnypad wrote:A GP expresses concerns

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/nhs-data-sh ... ed-1028042

There's very little we can influence now but this might be something that we can. Get form filling and writing to all if you're not happy with this. It might be something that gets stopped.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... s-1-3-data
"The emergence of ingenious and dogged fact-based research, data mapping and analysis has made tremendous improvements in public health. (...) Epidemiologist William Farr identified the importance of medical statistics in the 19th century when he began studying cholera mortality reports in London."

Interesting program, starts off explaining how back in the 19th century, scientists gathered together data about who got ill with cholera, combined that with data about where those patients lived, and then linked this together with data about which water companies supplied water to which areas of London, leading to the discovery of the source of the cholera outbreak.

Fast forward to the 21st century, and instead of embracing the opportunity to accelerate data gathering to help scientific research, here we are with people seemingly determined to prevent scientists from getting their hands on such data today.

The level of anonymity that people seem to be demanding (for example, concern about where people live being disclosed) would mean today's scientists analysing the data potentially wouldn't even be able to make the same links that scientists were able to make in the 19th century.

Is that really where we want to be?

Not even matching the 19th century?

:(

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 1st, 2021, 11:43 pm

onthemove wrote:here we are with people seemingly determined to prevent scientists from getting their hands on such data today.

I thought the concern was the with it falling in to the hands of insurers and their ilk, not scientists or medics.
Consider the current situation with CPAP compliance data;
- in some parts of the world patients pay over the odds through their insurance for a device, and locked in consumables,, even before any "rebate"/subsides are withdrawn if they fail to use it successfully
- https://www.propublica.org/article/you-snooze-you-lose-insurers-make-the-old-adage-literally-true

I'm all for data in the right place for the customer - but if the medical data is with actuaries not medics the customer becomes the product

-sd

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 2nd, 2021, 10:03 am

onthemove wrote:Fast forward to the 21st century, and instead of embracing the opportunity to accelerate data gathering to help scientific research, here we are with people seemingly determined to prevent scientists from getting their hands on such data today.

I think you are missing the point. My concern with this is not that medical "scientists" in the UK will use the data under UK laws, for medical research to the benefit of the NHS and its patients. Rather it is that such patient data 'escapes' from the UK into the US system, to be used by who knows whom for who knows what reason. Possibly even to the long term detriment of the NHS.

It isn't so much the certainty of all this, rather it is the uncertainty surrounding this affair encouraged by the seeming lack of clarity and publicity with which it is all being rushed through.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 2nd, 2021, 11:56 am

XFool wrote:
onthemove wrote:Fast forward to the 21st century, and instead of embracing the opportunity to accelerate data gathering to help scientific research, here we are with people seemingly determined to prevent scientists from getting their hands on such data today.

I think you are missing the point. My concern with this is not that medical "scientists" in the UK will use the data under UK laws, for medical research to the benefit of the NHS and its patients. Rather it is that such patient data 'escapes' from the UK into the US system, to be used by who knows whom for who knows what reason. Possibly even to the long term detriment of the NHS.

That's the crux of it
I suspect it's only a matter of time... despite what BJ et Al say.. before the NHS is carved up for sale.
At which point my heel prick data is up for grabs
...and then...

I have no problem with data shared in the right way
- I do it a lot myself professionally (couple of decades in data capture across a few disciplines)
- but I have occasionally found it to have been used in ways that I would have not condoned (CPAP compliance as I mentioned earlier being a potential problem that arose before people were aware of the issues)

-sd

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » June 2nd, 2021, 3:14 pm

Posters have mostly covered my concerns

But there are others

Large datasets are now used to fuel the precautionary principle ad nauseum while people who are actually in pain are left with a long wait to see a GP.

Doctors have given me and family incorrect treatment because they get too involved in risk factors and likelihoods. In fact I'd quite like to scrub my data so they'd be forced to say "starting from scratch, why is this lady experiencing shoulder pain" for example.

The algorithms deciding you are more likely to have x condition because you live in y postcode are going to go into overdrive.

I haven't seen my medical record lately but the last time I did, quite a lot of stuff was wrong as well.

Being able to track the water supply to an address is not the same as selling the most personal data about someone.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 4th, 2021, 5:53 pm

More articles. Both from The Guardian!

Your medical records are about to be given away. As GPs, we’re fighting back

The Guardian

GPs in England have been told to hand over all patient data to NHS Digital – potentially to be exploited for corporate profit

The Tories have worked out how to pull off an NHS data grab: do it during a pandemic

The Guardian

Taking data from patients in England was so unpopular in 2014 it had to be shelved. Now it’s happening without the scrutiny

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 6th, 2021, 1:56 pm

Tell me how you’ll use my medical data. Only then might I sign up

The Guardian

We need more transparency before offering up our health information

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » June 8th, 2021, 12:47 pm

Being delayed until 1st September, I hear.

Scott.

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » June 8th, 2021, 8:52 pm

Yes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57400902

Now that's a rare plus. More time to get the word out etc.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 21st, 2023, 5:03 pm

The topic continues, elsewhere: viewtopic.php?p=628948#p628948

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”