Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Did you know...?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
onthemove
Lemon Slice

Re: Did you know...?

Postby onthemove » May 29th, 2021, 4:03 pm

ursaminortaur wrote:
onthemove wrote:
ursaminortaur wrote:
Are you sure they weren't just referring to triangulation of your mobile phone's location by detecting the signal from your phone from three cell phone towers at the same time ?

I've just dug out the article, and I stand corrected, it's referring to 4 data points rather than 3...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21923360
"Scientists say it is remarkably easy to identify a mobile phone user from just a few pieces of location information. ...

... But a study in Scientific Reports warns that human mobility patterns are so predictable it is possible to identify a user from only four data points.

The growing ubiquity of mobile phones and smartphone applications has ushered in an era in which tremendous amounts of user data have become available to the companies that operate and distribute them - sometimes released publicly as "anonymised" or aggregated data sets.

Recent work has increasingly shown that humans' patterns of movement, however random and unpredictable they seem to be, are actually very limited in scope and can in fact act as a kind of fingerprint for who is doing the moving.

(...)"

They analysed their database of activity tracks for individual phone users and then took samples at different times to determine the minimum number of such samples needed to uniquely distinguish between tracks. That isn't the same as being able to uniquely identify someone from 4 randomly selected samples. The fact that you only need about 4 should not be that surprising since you should be able to distinguish most such tracks from one another with just two data points - one corresponding to them being at home and another corresponding to their being at work.

There's a reason I put 'identification' in inverted commas.

The theme of my post was raising the question as to what does 'identification' mean.

I did go on to use online usernames as an example in that post, but figured my post was long enough so deleted that bit. But perhaps it's worth introducing it.

Most of us post with a pseudonym (made up username) in the belief we are anonymous. Yet anyone posting regularly becomes known (on here) principally by their pseudonym.

But we probably interact with more people on here than in real life (or at least more people probably see us here than in real life). More people will probably 'know' the pseudonym character rather than the person in real life.

Which then raises the question of which is your 'real' 'identity'.

If readers of this board were to bump into me in real life and not know who I am, which would be more 'informative' in identifying me? Me telling them my 'real' name or me telling them my lemonfool username?

I suspect that people familiar with lemonfool, would find me using my lemonfool username more informative than me giving them my real name, the latter would likely mean nothing to them.

My point? As far as lemonfool readers are concerned, my 'anonymous' lemonfool username is actually my identity. They can associate a personality with that. They can relate that username to my posts that they have read.

So far from being 'anonymous', all that's happened is that I have a new or alternative identity that people recognise. Is that any more or less real than my (supposed) 'real' identity?

My overall point? That identity isn't an absolute, given thing. It's not your post code. It's not even your real name - there are multiple people with the same names, as that Argentinian TV presenter has just discovered when he thought _the_ William Shakespeare had died the other day.

'Identity' is simply whatever means other people or systems use to distinguish you from others.

When it comes to the question in the OP about our data being made public, what 'identification' matters?

I mean, if you have a rare illness, that in itself could be 'identifying' if people who you know, know you have it. If they were to see a dataset with an individual in that dataset having that rare illness, they would quite likely be able to identify it as you.

But does that matter? They already know you have that illness.

"The fact that you only need about 4 should not be that surprising since you should be able to distinguish most such tracks from one another with just two data points - one corresponding to them being at home and another corresponding to their being at work."

That is a form of identity. You have identified a track, distinct from other tracks. It's something you recognise, distinct from other tracks, and can refer to it - i.e. it is something you can identify.

Likewise with your medical record, your particular combination of illnesses is also likely to form an identifiable 'fingerprint'. And there could be quite a number of ways that someone using that data could make a link outside of the dataset.

The idea of true anonymity is just non-existent.

The kinds of patterns that researchers will be looking for, the correlations between illnesses and potential causal factors, etc, are just the sort of patterns that will also provide a unique identification of individuals within a dataset, just the same as that mobile phone data research that I mentioned above.

I mean, you're not going to get very far if the dataset only allows a count of the number of people with each individual illness. To be useful, researchers will want to look at correlations as to whether people with illness A also have illness B, etc. But that inherently means each individual needs to be 'distinguished' in the dataset so that you know each of the illness each individual had. But that, inherently, is likely to provide a unique enough 'fingerprint' that would allow that individual to be connected back to the individual in the real world.

That combination, like the data points from the mobile phones, is going to act as an identity for each individual in the dataset.

And some of that data might very well 'key' with data in other datasets, or what people know about you, enabling those who identify the key to 'join' the datasets (to use the database terminology). In essence, chipping away at the supposed anonymity - i.e. recognising that an 'identified' individual in one dataset, is actually one and the same person as an 'identified' individual in another dataset (or someone you know in real life).

In practice, it is going to have to end up like the NHS already.

When you go for an operation, you're not anonymous. The reception staff recognise your face. The nurses see and recognise your face and know what illness you're in there for, and so on. You don't go into hospital wearing a bag over your head so that people in the hospital can't identify you.

In practice, what matters is not that so many people know about you and your illness. It's unavoidable.

What matters, is that the law protects you from them publicly disclosing that information.

And that works in the NHS right now. There's no reason why the same principle shouldn't apply to the provision of your medical data for research.

As long as the NHS puts the requirement - backed up by legal protections - that those buying that NHS data cannot make public any individual identifiable information, then that is the most pragmatic solution.

Trying to protect 'identity' by worrying about what is, or isn't, allowed in the dataset is just a rabbit hole with no defined end.

Do you wear a paper bag over your head when in the doctor's waiting room so that other patients don't recognise you? No, most people don't. Even though others in the waiting room will clearly be able to 'identify' you from your appearance, and may know you by name, and you presence there is giving them information that you need to see the doctor.

Life is always about finding a reasonable balance.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 29th, 2021, 4:20 pm

onthemove wrote:As for the article, it has a stench of scaremongering about it. Playing tactics like telling you you've only got a limited time to do something to scare you into reacting how they want you to react. Portraying it as though the government are some evil sinister organisation separate to the NHS, which to me is nonsense. The NHS are part and parcel of the national public infrastructure which includes the government, etc. To think of your medical records in the NHS being held by some saintly entity distinct from the evil government as portrayed by the article, is nonsense.

I find it staggering that people would expect to use the NHS, but aren't willing to play their part and allow data about their conditions and treatments, etc, to be aggregated and used for research into better future treatments and better organisation of the NHS, etc.

OK. I likely would have no problem with that. The trouble is (Or is it? Who knows?) the rumour that the information will go out of the country for 'research' by commercial companies in the US. They will be more interested in serving their own interests than "serving the NHS" and some of that interest could even, possibly, in the long term be against the interests of the NHS as we know it.

As all this is not being discussed out in the open in the UK media, we do not seem to actually know what is really going on. What is fact and what is merely unreliable rumour.

Talking about wearing "paper bags over your head" is not helpful in this matter.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » May 29th, 2021, 5:53 pm

XFool wrote:OK. I likely would have no problem with that. The trouble is (Or is it? Who knows?) the rumour that the information will go out of the country for 'research' by commercial companies in the US. They will be more interested in serving their own interests than "serving the NHS" and some of that interest could even, possibly, in the long term be against the interests of the NHS as we know it.

Trying to do this on the sly has obviously damaged the way in which those who hear about it perceive the project. Now they'll gain consent by failure to realise WTF is going on from millions, but for those who are made aware of it the simple alternative to wasting a bank holiday weekend teasing out the details, debating the intentions and trustworthiness of those involved, the potential security risks of allowing more of your personal data out in to the wild with no idea of how or with how much care it will be stored ...is simply to opt out.

I've opted out, so I'm out of this conversation, but it didn't have to be this way.

ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Postby ursaminortaur » May 29th, 2021, 6:06 pm

XFool wrote:
onthemove wrote:As for the article, it has a stench of scaremongering about it. Playing tactics like telling you you've only got a limited time to do something to scare you into reacting how they want you to react. Portraying it as though the government are some evil sinister organisation separate to the NHS, which to me is nonsense. The NHS are part and parcel of the national public infrastructure which includes the government, etc. To think of your medical records in the NHS being held by some saintly entity distinct from the evil government as portrayed by the article, is nonsense.

I find it staggering that people would expect to use the NHS, but aren't willing to play their part and allow data about their conditions and treatments, etc, to be aggregated and used for research into better future treatments and better organisation of the NHS, etc.

OK. I likely would have no problem with that. The trouble is (Or is it? Who knows?) the rumour that the information will go out of the country for 'research' by commercial companies in the US. They will be more interested in serving their own interests than "serving the NHS" and some of that interest could even, possibly, in the long term be against the interests of the NHS as we know it.

As all this is not being discussed out in the open in the UK media, we do not seem to actually know what is really going on. What is fact and what is merely unreliable rumour.

Talking about wearing "paper bags over your head" is not helpful in this matter.

This selling of NHS data to US companies isn't anything new - it is just an exceptionally large amount of such data and the first time that you can opt-out of it.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/07/nhs-medical-data-sales-american-pharma-lack-transparency

Data about millions of NHS patients has been sold to US and other international pharmaceutical companies for research, the Observer has learned, raising new fears about America’s growing ambitions to access lucrative parts of the health service after Brexit.

US drugs giants, including Merck (referred to outside the US and Canada as MSD, Merck Sharp and Dohme), Bristol-Myers Squibb and Eli Lilly, have paid the Department of Health and Social Care, which holds data derived from GPs’ surgeries, for licences costing up to £330,000 each in return for anonymised data to be used for research.

Campaigners working to protect the privacy of patients’ medical histories said they were concerned at the lack of transparency that surrounded the sale of licences and a lack of clarity about what the data was being used for.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7985149/NHS-privacy-fears-emerges-patient-information-sold-international-drug-companies.html

NHS data sold to US drug giants: Privacy fears as it emerges patient information from hospitals and GP surgeries is often sold to international drug companies

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/palantir-nhs-covid-19-data.html

Britain’s National Health Service has given secretive U.S. tech firm Palantir access to private personal data of millions of British citizens, according to a contract published online.

The NHS health records that Palantir has access to can include a patient’s name, age, address, health conditions, treatments and medicines, allergies, tests, scans, X-Ray results, whether a patient smokes or drinks, and hospital admission and discharge information. Any data that may make patients personally identifiable are replaced with a pseudonym or aggregated before they’re shared with Palantir.

The contract, known as a data-sharing agreement, was published Friday by politics website OpenDemocracy and law firm Foxglove alongside similar contracts with Google, Microsoft, and U.K. AI start-up Faculty.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » May 29th, 2021, 8:09 pm

ursaminortaur wrote:They analysed their database of activity tracks for individual phone users and then took samples at different times to determine the minimum number of such samples needed to uniquely distinguish between tracks.

Was reading a Reacher book, where they found a hideout by mapping someone's phone tracks.
That was published 2012.
This has been going on a long time.

Back to the OP... given that is no central NHS database, I wonder where they get this data from, actually?

V8

ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Postby ursaminortaur » May 29th, 2021, 8:25 pm

88V8 wrote:
ursaminortaur wrote:They analysed their database of activity tracks for individual phone users and then took samples at different times to determine the minimum number of such samples needed to uniquely distinguish between tracks.

Was reading a Reacher book, where they found a hideout by mapping someone's phone tracks.
That was published 2012.
This has been going on a long time.

Back to the OP... given that is no central NHS database, I wonder where they get this data from, actually?

V8

It looks like they are pulling the data together from GPs' records.

https://www.ft.com/content/9fee812f-6975-49ce-915c-aeb25d3dd748

England’s NHS is preparing to scrape the medical histories of 55m patients, including sensitive information on mental and sexual health, criminal records and abuse, into a database it will share with third parties.

The data collection project, which is the first of its kind, has caused an uproar among privacy campaigners, who say it is “legally problematic”, especially as patients only have a few weeks to opt out of the plan.

NHS Digital, which runs the health service’s IT systems, confirmed the plan to pool together medical records from every patient in England who is registered with a GP clinic into a single lake that will be available to academic and commercial third parties for research and planning purposes.
The plan comes following an attempt in 2013 to extract GP records into a central database, called the Care.data programme, which was abandoned in 2016 after complaints about confidentiality and commercial use.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » May 29th, 2021, 10:46 pm

ursaminortaur wrote:
88V8 wrote:Back to the OP... given that is no central NHS database, I wonder where they get this data from, actually?
V8

Well hallelujah.
I remember last year hearing some expert on the wireless re Covid, and the interviewer referred to 'the NHS database' and I recall being flabbergasted when the expert responded that there isn't one.
If the prospect of monetising the data has at long last prompted the completion of a central database, the benefits of that will far outweigh the potential harms.

Except perhaps for individuals who feel they have something to hide.

V8

Sorcery
Lemon Quarter

Postby Sorcery » May 29th, 2021, 11:47 pm

88V8 wrote:
ursaminortaur wrote:
88V8 wrote:Back to the OP... given that is no central NHS database, I wonder where they get this data from, actually?
V8

Well hallelujah.
I remember last year hearing some expert on the wireless re Covid, and the interviewer referred to 'the NHS database' and I recall being flabbergasted when the expert responded that there isn't one.
If the prospect of monetising the data has at long last prompted the completion of a central database, the benefits of that will far outweigh the potential harms.

V8

Good job didn't tell my GP how many units I really consume ;-) Nor the other things ...

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » May 30th, 2021, 12:39 am

Sorcery wrote:
88V8 wrote:
ursaminortaur wrote:It looks like they are pulling the data together from GPs' records.

Well hallelujah.

V8

Good job didn't tell my GP how many units I really consume ;-) Nor the other things ...

As a rule of thumb they just double whatever you tell them....

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » May 30th, 2021, 8:25 am

88V8 wrote:Except perhaps for individuals who feel they have something to hide.
V8

Feel free to post your name, address and medical details if you have nothing to hide.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » May 30th, 2021, 8:27 am

Mike4 wrote:
Sorcery wrote:
88V8 wrote:Well hallelujah.

V8

As a rule of thumb they just double whatever you tell them....

That will be why his eyes pop out when I'm honest ! :D

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » May 30th, 2021, 10:09 am

88V8 wrote:
ursaminortaur wrote:
V8

Well hallelujah.

V8

I think the NHS Database is a 65536 row Excel spreadsheet, iirc .... :o

ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Postby ursaminortaur » May 30th, 2021, 10:22 am

88V8 wrote:
ursaminortaur wrote:
V8

Well hallelujah.

V8

A central NHS database will be a nice juicy target I wonder how long it will be until it is hacked ?

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » May 30th, 2021, 11:20 am

ursaminortaur wrote:Which just means that the VPN operator can see where you went

Use Proton VPN - no logs kept and all traffic fully encrypted.

ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Postby ursaminortaur » May 30th, 2021, 11:43 am

absolutezero wrote:
ursaminortaur wrote:Which just means that the VPN operator can see where you went

Use Proton VPN - no logs kept and all traffic fully encrypted.

By definition it is decrypted at their exit point for transmission to the web site or other end point you are accessing unless you use end-to-end encryption such as https. Although they say they keep no logs once the traffic leaves them they have no control over it hence a tap on the line leaving them would be vulnerable to interception. In 2016 a referendum gave the Swiss government extra surveillance rights including the right to tap internet comms.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/26/swiss-public-back-law-expanding-surveillance-powers/

The law in question was passed by the Swiss parliament in fall 2015, but campaigners stalled its progress after winning a referendum by collecting enough petition signatures, under the country’s direct democracy regime.

A year on they have lost the fight, with 65.5 percent of voters in the referendum backing the new law, according to the BBC.

The law expands the surveillance capabilities of the Swiss SRC spy agency to give them the power to lawfully hack into computers and install malware, tap phones and internet comms and install hidden cameras and bugs in private locations to gather data.

It is also worth noting that the free version of protonVPN only provides endpoints in three countries

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/proton-vpn-review

The free version provides basic endpoints in just three countries: the US, the Netherlands and Japan.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 30th, 2021, 1:03 pm

Topic gaining some traction now in the public media:

GPs warn over plans to share patient data with third parties in England

The Guardian

Doctors say NHS Digital’s proposals could erode the relationship between them and their patients

"Doctors have warned that plans to pool medical records on to a database and share them with third parties could erode the relationship between them and patients."

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » May 30th, 2021, 9:38 pm

Do I give a fkying f---? Not really, people who want to access my medical records will die of boredom. I remember the days before computers became the be all and end all I could find out all I needed to know about somewone from their NI number. The genie was well and truly out of the bottle many, many moons ago.

R6

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 30th, 2021, 9:57 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:Do I give a fkying f---? Not really, people who want to access my medical records will die of boredom. I remember the days before computers became the be all and end all I could find out all I needed to know about somewone from their NI number. The genie was well and truly out of the bottle many, many moons ago.

R6

Thank you for expressing that principle so eloquently ;)

I'm broadly with you on the principle. Where I'd have reservations is in the execution. Such a valuable dataset will be a huge prize, which will make it a magnet for deeply corrupt practices, and the government (and any likely successor) will be wallowing in a trough that benefits their own interests way ahead of the people they notionally serve.
Last edited by UncleEbenezer on May 30th, 2021, 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » May 30th, 2021, 9:58 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:Do I give a fkying f---? Not really, people who want to access my medical records will die of boredom. I remember the days before computers became the be all and end all I could find out all I needed to know about somewone from their NI number. The genie was well and truly out of the bottle many, many moons ago.

R6

There are no doubt many like you, who have led blameless, (or as you say, boring) lives and have nothing to hide. The saying goes, “if you’ve nothing to hide, you’ve nothing to fear”. And the rejoinder goes, “so you’re happy to leave your curtains open at night then?”.

It is not all about you. There are people who would not want certain things which are in their medical records being put into the public domain. And I believe these proposals amount to that.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 30th, 2021, 10:01 pm

GrahamPlatt wrote:There are no doubt many like you, who have led blameless, (or as you say, boring) lives and have nothing to hide. The saying goes, “if you’ve nothing to hide, you’ve nothing to fear”. And the rejoinder goes, “so you’re happy to leave your curtains open at night then?”.

Curtains? How quaint!

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”