Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

None Of Your Business!

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: None Of Your Business!

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 3rd, 2021, 10:38 am

88V8 wrote:PS my supposed IP address as recorded by eBay is wrong by 100 miles.

Only 100 miles? As Fools know, I'm in West Devon, but Google and most other services that locate IP addresses almost always put me in Cheshire.

And that's pretty local. I've been traced to Moscow and Minnesota all within a month, and without making any attempt to confuse or mislead them.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » June 3rd, 2021, 12:04 pm

88V8 wrote:So, why does internet tracking matter? I mean, really matter?

You may think that internet tracking is just about showing a few adverts, but we don't know that, we don't know who they are selling the data to and how it may be linked up with other databases to build a scarily complete profile of your life.

https://boingboing.net/2019/03/06/pract ... ation.html

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 3rd, 2021, 12:31 pm

88V8 wrote:
So, why does internet tracking matter? I mean, really matter?

One direct effect I notice is every couple of months my browser stops working when logging into the bank, and also a few other sites here and there. I get an obscure and misleading message about it not being a safe site and I am to retire to a place of safety, or something along those lines. On researching this it turns out the cause is having too many cookies in my browser, and clearing them out fixes it.

When I check there are many hundreds of cookies if not thousands, all put there by sites I've visited. The trouble is that by deleting them I then have to re-enter the password for sites I use regularly e.g. TLF.

Like you I just used to accept all the pop-ups demanding I agree to them placing cookies but my cookie jar seemed to fill up and need clearing out ever more frequently so now I refuse them. Easiest way is the click the back button out of the site, then right-click the link and select "Open in incognito window". Then agree to the placing of cookies which all disappear again when you close the incognito window.

I still find cookies leak through into the 'normal' browser but I'm back to needing to clear them out every few months again, instead of once a fortnight.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 3rd, 2021, 1:10 pm

Lanark wrote:

You may think that internet tracking is just about showing a few adverts, but we don't know that, we don't know who they are selling the data to and how it may be linked up with other databases to build a scarily complete profile of your life.

https://boingboing.net/2019/03/06/pract ... ation.html

They're selling advertising, not data.

The proposition to the advertiser is not "we'll get your advert in front or Lanark". It's "we'll get it in front of people whose track record indicates the best likelihood of them responding". A refinement of the principle of targeting by postcode, or advertising based on the demographic appeal of a particular TV show.

I'm interested in music and theatre. I'm interested in the Great Outdoors. I have absolutely no interest in professional sport or fashion, cars or celebrities. If an advertiser has that kind of information, they neither know nor care who I am. They're building a profile of which ads I might stand any chance of responding to.

They're struggling to do that: at the moment google keep giving me wine-related stories on the phone[1], presumably because I used it to look for those supermarket discounts when they vanished during the first lockdown last year. I also get lots of cycling-related stories (professional sport - no interest) because I used it to find a bike shop that was open when our local one was closed. They've a long way to go in this targeting business before it ceases to be a joke.

[1] Unlike the computers, I don't use privacy settings to prevent this kind of thing on the phone.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » June 3rd, 2021, 2:40 pm

Lanark wrote:

They don't know that I have peanut butter & marmalade sandwiches at breakfast, except on Saturday when I have walnut butter instead.
They're far behind the curve.

V8

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » June 3rd, 2021, 4:44 pm

I am always amused by the fact that Google Maps thinks that I am in Hamburg when using the on-ship WiFi on a cruise.

TJH

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”