Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Coronation Day

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Re: Coronation Day

Postby supremetwo » June 4th, 2021, 5:46 pm

Below is the lancework set=piece that Brocks used in 1953 - one of my own photos.

I helped with the pegging, gluing and pasting at a local display. The glue was brown animal glue, heated in a water bath and I so recall the smell of it as I type this.

A lance is a tube of slow-burning flare composition.

Extract from Brocks ‘History of Fireworks’.
The steps in the preparation of a lancework set-piece are as follows:

A drawing of the subject is prepared in plain outline, from which unnecessary detail and any shading must be excluded.

This is ruled out in squares, each of which corresponds to one foot in the set piece.

Light wood frames, measuring usually five feet by ten and divided by light battens into squares of one foot, are laid out on the drawing-floor.

By following the lines of the corresponding squares the design is reproduced on the floor at its full scale. The outline is then followed by strips of thin wood or rattan cane nailed to the battens of the framework.

The lines thus indicated are then 'pegged': small wire nails, pointed at both ends, are driven in at intervals of about four inches. The lances are glued and pushed on to the pegs so that they stand vertically from the framework.

The lances are connected with quick-match, secured by pins driven into the priming at the top of the composition. The match is then pierced with a small awl above the priming, and secured and protected by a strip of paper pasted over it and round the case of the lance.

The piece is then assembled at the firing site, the individual frames are connected together and the whole is hoisted into position, ready for firing.

It will be seen that, apart from the preparation of the framework, including the necessary cleaning-off of the residue from a previous firing and re-pegging, the preparation of a set-piece for each occasion entails seven separate operations on every lance.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”