Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Preferences

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Preferences

Postby brightncheerful » June 15th, 2021, 2:52 pm

When talking with friends and acquaintances whenever I want to acknowledge the source of the knowledge I have of something, i refer to TLF as "the on-line forum I inhabit." Until recently i inhabited only one other on-line forum so for the most part TLF gets the credit, albeit anonymously.

Having recently bought a new (second-hand) car (Skoda Octavia Estate) I registered on an on-line forum for Skoda vehicles. From browsing, very helpful and useful i expect. I have asked a couple of questions so far all of which have been answered constructively.

In an op I initiated about cherished registration number and asking what others thought about a dealership adding its website address to car number plates without permission - the dealer has used lip plates: the lip is outside the number plate regulations) - someone commenting has not shared my preference for thinking it wrong of the dealership to have done so on my registration plates (which i'd paid for on transfer of the number). Fair enough, I wouldn't expect everyone to agree with me but it was their views on the subject that I was asking about, not that I should be criticised for my preference. So what i hadn't bargained for was someone telling me in no uncertain terms I am being picky and hypocritical, as i don't seem to have any objection (I don't) to the car's insignia or any of the car parts manufacturers having their names on their parts of the car: tyres for example.

In the hope of getting the person off my back, I concluded my response with: "As far as i am concerned, it is a matter of principle and since it is my principle I am entitled to restrict it to some things and not others."

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Preferences

Postby staffordian » June 15th, 2021, 3:48 pm

I guess there are all sorts of folk on all fora, but the better ones, such as TLF are well moderated to avoid issues such as this, where a poster plays the man rather than the ball.

It's obviously a personal choice as to whether the benefits outweigh the downsides, though it is normally possible to put individual posters on an ignore list so as to retain the benefits of the forum without the hassle of loudmouths..

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 15th, 2021, 4:14 pm

brightncheerful wrote:Fair enough, I wouldn't expect everyone to agree with me but it was their views on the subject that I was asking about, not that I should be criticised for my preference. So what i hadn't bargained for was someone telling me in no uncertain terms I am being picky and hypocritical, as i don't seem to have any objection (I don't) to the car's insignia or any of the car parts manufacturers having their names on their parts of the car: tyres for example.

Somebody was having an off day/was being bloody-minded because he was trying to quit the fags/was just a full-time awkward customer who gets his kicks from telling people things online that would possibly earn him a punch in the mouth if he said them face to face. (Not from you, obviously. :) )

It's a small matter in another way, of course. The dealer makes all its numberplates from a box of pre-printed blanks that happen to include its name, and that's why it couldn't (or didn't) make an exception for you. Just order some more plates from somewhere that doesn't do that, and forget the whole thing. Simples.

BJ

marronier
Lemon Slice

Postby marronier » June 15th, 2021, 5:10 pm

For as far back as I can remember , cars always came with a sticker in the rear window with the dealers name , address and phone number . I've never heard of anyone complaining about it or ripping it out , so the website advert is just a modern progression .

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » June 15th, 2021, 5:49 pm

marronier wrote:For as far back as I can remember , cars always came with a sticker in the rear window with the dealers name , address and phone number . I've never heard of anyone complaining about it or ripping it out , so the website advert is just a modern progression .

You must live a sheltered life. There have been lots of arguments in the past about having to be a moving advertisement for the dealer. I have no problem with their name on my number plate, or with their rear window sticker.

TJH

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » June 15th, 2021, 5:59 pm

marronier wrote:For as far back as I can remember , cars always came with a sticker in the rear window with the dealers name , address and phone number . I've never heard of anyone complaining about it or ripping it out , so the website advert is just a modern progression .

Then you haven't heard me! When I buy a car I always specify no dealer stickers, and don't pay until they take the sticker(s) off if they forget (and they ALWAYS forget).

--Curmudgeon kiloran

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » June 15th, 2021, 6:06 pm

I'm another, I've only bought 1 car from a dealer and I did take out the sticker in the rear windows and the tax disc holder and with their branding on. My plates, as well as the car identifier, still have the group's name, a little GB and a pretty circle of stars

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » June 15th, 2021, 6:22 pm

kempiejon wrote:.... a little GB and a pretty circle of stars

Which no longer works for its intended purpose : https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-pl ... dentifiers

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » June 15th, 2021, 7:34 pm

We covered our little circle of stars with a Welsh dragon:)

R6

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » June 15th, 2021, 8:33 pm

genou wrote:

Which no longer works for its intended purpose

I'd still buy one if I could.

Scott.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » June 16th, 2021, 7:10 pm

swill453 wrote:

I'd still buy one if I could.

You might find something suitable around Christmas time.

My parents' last car bought 1990, which we still own, has the dealer's sticker in the back. Washing inside the rear screen I noticed that some of the ink had come off. I was a bit put out, given that the dealer was local to them and the sticker is in a way a reminder and link with them, as it were.

Silly things one is attached to.

V8

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » June 16th, 2021, 8:02 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Just order some more plates from somewhere that doesn't do that

BJ

It is a rather pointless law that requires the registration plate manufacturer to put their name and address on it to prevent people having misspaced number plates or coloured bolts in the wrong position to try to change the numbers or letters. Pointless as easily circumvented by ordeing 'show plates' or plates from a company outside the UK.

But if you can't be bothered with that but don't want the name obvious then get some from Halfords who use the smallest legal font size for their name and a suitable colour that isn't visible from a distance.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 16th, 2021, 8:32 pm

AF62 wrote:It is a rather pointless law that requires the registration plate manufacturer to put their name and address on it

Pointless in more ways than one. :) Firstly, because it was the manufacturer's postcode that was needed, not its whole address. And secondly, because AIUI, the requirement has now been dropped altogether.

Basically, any plate supplier who doesn't ask you for your V5 (or hasn't ever seen it) is giving you plates that are fit for exhibition use only, not for road use. But as long as you behave and drive legally, the likely damage to society is slim. I once (rather naively) bought a set of show plates once, not realising that that was what they were, and my car passed five MOTs without anyone ever noticing. Then I sold it. ;)

[Devil's advocate mode] Then again, my neighbour in Wiltshire was once accused of knocking a cyclist off a bridge in Scotland because somebody with a cloned set of plates with his reg number had done the deed. It took a surprising amount of work before he could clear his name with the police. [/Devil's advocate mode]

BJ

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 16th, 2021, 9:28 pm

I always remove the sticker of the dealership in the rear window. In fact I usually try to remember to ask them not to put it on in the first place but they always ignore my request. I really do not see why I should be an unpaid advertising agent for them.

Dod

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » June 17th, 2021, 8:20 am

Dod101 wrote:I always remove the sticker of the dealership in the rear window.
Dod

I'm always wary of damaging the elements of the heated rear window, so get the dealer to remove the sticker, then it's their problem

--kiloran

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » June 17th, 2021, 9:30 am

Dod101 wrote:I always remove the sticker of the dealership in the rear window. In fact I usually try to remember to ask them not to put it on in the first place but they always ignore my request. I really do not see why I should be an unpaid advertising agent for them.

Dod

I heard that my grandfather in the 70s sometimes did the same with supermarket carrier bags. Towards the end of his life, he was on medication that made him irritable. I think they used to charge for large bags and he would turn them inside out, explaining that he refused to give them free advertising.

Steve

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » June 17th, 2021, 9:43 am

For what it's worth I've bought lots of different new cars over the years......Mercedes, Porsche & Range Rovers......never had a dealership sticker in or on the car. Ford dealerships always had stickers. So, perhaps the more you pay for the car the less chance of a sticker.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 17th, 2021, 10:29 am

kiloran wrote:I'm always wary of damaging the elements of the heated rear window, so get the dealer to remove the sticker, then it's their problem

Minimum heat from a hairdryer works pretty well. Anything hotter risks shattering the glass. The dealership probably uses a heat gun. :shock:

BJ

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 17th, 2021, 11:19 am

stevensfo wrote:
Dod101 wrote:I always remove the sticker of the dealership in the rear window. In fact I usually try to remember to ask them not to put it on in the first place but they always ignore my request. I really do not see why I should be an unpaid advertising agent for them.

Dod

I heard that my grandfather in the 70s sometimes did the same with supermarket carrier bags. Towards the end of his life, he was on medication that made him irritable. I think they used to charge for large bags and he would turn them inside out, explaining that he refused to give them free advertising.

Steve

That is what I would call bloody minded! Good for him.

Dod

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 17th, 2021, 3:46 pm

Just looked at my BMW bought new by me...no sticker.

John

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”