Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Abracadabra

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Abracadabra

Postby MrFoolish » June 18th, 2021, 7:41 am

Anyone like to venture a view on how the spinning ball on the cymbal works? Given this was early 80s, it must be physics rather than CGI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY8B0uQpwZs

Enjoy the great music whilst you ponder on it!

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Re: Abracadabra

Postby dionaeamuscipula » June 18th, 2021, 9:09 am

Well, its an umbrella rather than a cymbal, I guess the ball is lighter than it looks, the umbrella is being rotated clockwise and is being held at an angle so the part the ball is on is more or less flat. Its also being moved around by someone out of shot. I think that the material of the canopy has a little give. So its a juggling skill.

DM

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » June 18th, 2021, 9:33 am

dionaeamuscipula wrote:Well, its an umbrella rather than a cymbal, I guess the ball is lighter than it looks, the umbrella is being rotated clockwise and is being held at an angle so the part the ball is on is more or less flat. Its also being moved around by someone out of shot. I think that the material of the canopy has a little give. So its a juggling skill.

DM

Interesting. But the ball is spinning so why doesn't it fly off? Is it somehow counteracted by the spin on the umbrella? Or does it fail to grip the surface?

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » June 18th, 2021, 9:38 am

Or is there an inner (spinning) ball inside a transparent (non-spinning) outer ball?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 18th, 2021, 10:32 am

MrFoolish wrote:Interesting. But the ball is spinning so why doesn't it fly off? Is it somehow counteracted by the spin on the umbrella? Or does it fail to grip the surface?

Looks like a simple circus trick to me. We're all assuming that the surface of the umbrella is sloping downwards toward the rim, because usually they are. Now, suppose that the umbrella is being held at a tilt so that the rolling surface is perfectly horizontal? (Or maybe even a little inward-tilting?)

That would cancel out the centrifugal effect, and all you'd have to do then would be to hold the camera at an angle, so as to make it look like a normal tilt in the video.

BJ

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » June 18th, 2021, 10:42 am

MrFoolish wrote:
dionaeamuscipula wrote:Well, its an umbrella rather than a cymbal, I guess the ball is lighter than it looks, the umbrella is being rotated clockwise and is being held at an angle so the part the ball is on is more or less flat. Its also being moved around by someone out of shot. I think that the material of the canopy has a little give. So its a juggling skill.

DM

Interesting. But the ball is spinning so why doesn't it fly off? Is it somehow counteracted by the spin on the umbrella? Or does it fail to grip the surface?

Dunno. Maybe there is some tether or something that we can't see, or maybe its the skill of the juggler.

Edit: http://www.juggling.org/help/circus-arts/umbrella.html

DM

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » June 18th, 2021, 10:53 am

It also works with cups,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-0upTJLhDw

Julian F. G. W.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”