Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Come on England

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Re: Come on England

Postby nimnarb » June 18th, 2021, 10:46 pm

Absolute rubbish. Pathetic. We have been individually pumped up to oblivion beforehand. One of the favs.. you must be joking. Kane looked exhausted. Sterling ain’t Sterling. All I can say is start Grealish and Rashford at the beginning of the game, not at the end and we might stand a chance. The idea is to run at the goal to achieve the goal. Just pathetic. But congrats to Scotland you could have won and I think tonight you did. First draw in the history of these two teams at Wembley ever. That says it all. Did I say pathetic before!!!
Pathetic.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » June 18th, 2021, 10:48 pm

Oh and I agree 100% with Leo.
Pathetic :D

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » June 18th, 2021, 11:15 pm

Leothebear wrote:England I believe can beat anyone in this tournament except for Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain and possibly Sweden.

erm, and Scotland?

roger4
Lemon Pip

Postby roger4 » June 19th, 2021, 3:25 am

At risk of upsetting people, why all the hoo-hah? It is after all, only soccer. It is not something of earth-shattering importance. The days of one of the countries that make up UK being world best are long gone. Live with it.

Roger

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » June 19th, 2021, 9:52 am

roger4 wrote:At risk of upsetting people, why all the hoo-hah? It is after all, only soccer.

No. It’s football. That’s one nasty Americanism that is never going to catch on. Football is football already in every language on earth. Japanese, Chinese, Urdu, even the Academie Francais haven’t managed to call it anything different.

Gryff

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 19th, 2021, 11:02 am

gryffron wrote:
roger4 wrote:At risk of upsetting people, why all the hoo-hah? It is after all, only soccer.

No. It’s football. That’s one nasty Americanism that is never going to catch on. Football is football already in every language on earth. Japanese, Chinese, Urdu, even the Academie Francais haven’t managed to call it anything different.

Gryff

Well...
it's "Association football"
When I say football in Letterkenny they assume I mean Gaelic Football.
When I say it in Hobart they assume I mean Australian Rules
- both generally considered English speaking areas (head west of Letterkenny though and it's a different story)

Still... doesn't explain why someone would jump on a fitba thread and whinge about it
- might as well head over to mumsnet and tell them kids aren't worth the hassle

-sd

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » June 19th, 2021, 12:48 pm

Moving on....

11/5 looks a good bet for an Eng/Czech draw. Guaranteed qualification for both and Eng come second so avoid one of the group of death teams.

Maybe a flurry of activity in the first half as both teams pretend they would like to win but as the clock runs down the game played out by passing the ball around amongst either defence. Been seen before in group games.

BoE

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » June 19th, 2021, 2:37 pm

Moderator Message:
I've edited 2 posts on this thread to remove name calling and/or accusatory language. Any more and I'm likely to lock the topic and move this and any other football related ones to the Sports board.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 19th, 2021, 2:46 pm

please folks keep it clean :idea:
this should be a fun post about the great game
would be a shame if it got locked owing to abuse
thanks

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 19th, 2021, 4:35 pm

I did metion on page 1 of this post that the Scots fan I have met were decent
This shows a example of that (it surprised me - well done the scots)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-57538350

SteMiS
Lemon Quarter

Postby SteMiS » June 19th, 2021, 8:36 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Snorvey wrote:
Good game.

Fair result.

I don't think so - I thought England were lucky to get a point from that.

The two teams together managed 3 shots on target in the whole game. Neither team deserved to win....or even score.

Itsallaguess wrote:Worrying for England that their worst player continues to walk out with that yellow arm-band on......I think we're going to see what Southgate is made of soon enough....

Southgate is overrated. His reputation is build on a fortunate run in the world cup with an incredibly lucky draw. The first good team England come up against and it'll be over I'm afraid (as it was in the world cup).

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » June 19th, 2021, 8:51 pm

SteMiS wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
Snorvey wrote:
Good game.

Fair result.

The two teams together managed 3 shots on target in the whole game. Neither team deserved to win....or even score.

Itsallaguess wrote:Worrying for England that their worst player continues to walk out with that yellow arm-band on......I think we're going to see what Southgate is made of soon enough....

Southgate is overrated. His reputation is build on a fortunate run in the world cup with an incredibly lucky draw. The first good team England come up against and it'll be over I'm afraid (as it was in the world cup).

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ... I cannot accept that just because England played crap they deserve to lose. That's just not fair. They've always played crap. They've always been pumped up beyond their ability as a team. But I will support them forever :roll:

And Scotland played exceptionally well. Fair dinkum 8-)

Harry Kane looks as if he has some fitness issue - could be a virus or something - his legs aren't bouncy :(

Come on England :)

AiY

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » June 19th, 2021, 11:13 pm

gryffron wrote:

No. It’s football. That’s one nasty Americanism that is never going to catch on.

It's not an Americanism. It is to Association Football what Rugger is to Rugby Football and was coined in exactly the same thoroughly British institutions by the same thoroughly British chaps. The coinage is often attributed to Corinthians and England Captain Charles Wreford-Brown during his time at Oxford. There have been many 'football games' before and after the laws of Association football were chiselled on to two tablets of stone, and 'Soccer' is widely used in most places which have a native variant which survived the introduction of the invasive British species. It has in short already caught on.

What will never catch on, apparently, is the realisation that the justification for the hatred held by a certain kind of Brit for the word 'Soccer' is completely counterfactual.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » June 19th, 2021, 11:29 pm

Come on Wales!! Gareth will assist or score. Pob lwc!

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » June 20th, 2021, 6:59 pm

How to turn a loss into a win.
Well done Wales….

Myfyr
2 Lemon pips

Postby Myfyr » June 20th, 2021, 8:43 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
SteMiS wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ... I cannot accept that just because England played crap they deserve to lose. That's just not fair. They've always played crap. They've always been pumped up beyond their ability as a team. But I will support them forever :roll:

And Scotland played exceptionally well. Fair dinkum 8-)

Harry Kane looks as if he has some fitness issue - could be a virus or something - his legs aren't bouncy :(

Come on England :)

AiY

Shamima Begum is more likely to come home than the Euro Championship. :)

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » June 20th, 2021, 8:46 pm

Myfyr wrote:Shamima Begum is more likely to come home than the Euro Championship. :)

News just in, Boris Johnson has agreed she can get the next plane home :lol:

AiY

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » June 21st, 2021, 9:15 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:
dionaeamuscipula wrote:In celebration of my various antecedents, I shall be toasting Scotland's inevitable glorious defeat with a wee nip of Welsh single malt....

DM

Penderyn?

You'd have to be mad to set up a top quality distillery near Merthyr Tydfil, and they are. But some of their whisky is *really* good.

DM

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » June 21st, 2021, 5:48 pm

dionaeamuscipula wrote:You'd have to be mad to set up a top quality distillery near Merthyr Tydfil, and they are. But some of their whisky is *really* good.

But is it whisky or whiskey?

:twisted:

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » June 21st, 2021, 6:00 pm

gryffron wrote:
dionaeamuscipula wrote:You'd have to be mad to set up a top quality distillery near Merthyr Tydfil, and they are. But some of their whisky is *really* good.

But is it whisky or whiskey?

:twisted:

Ennngggggllllaaannnddd

If England lose tomorrow I will be a tad upset :lol:

AiY

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”