Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Investment Discussion

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Dod101
The full Lemon

Investment Discussion

Postby Dod101 » July 15th, 2021, 9:42 am

I am not sure if this is the right place for this comment, but I must say that for an investment site, there is not really a lot of investment discussion, especially since the usually highly opinionated contributors to the Covid discussions came on the scene. Would there I wonder be any chance that we could skew the discussion more towards investment topics?

Dod

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: Investment Discussion

Postby kiloran » July 15th, 2021, 10:00 am

I think you are on a loser, Dod. I've never really considered TLF or TMF as strictly financial sites. The site is advertised as a financial site and therefore tends to attract those with an interest in finance, but the existence of non-finance boards obviously encourages non-finance discussion. And if the non-finance boards were deleted, I suspect the whole site would fall into disuse. There are many other discussion forums around, and all/most have a particular slant, but they also tend to have a lot of "off-topic" discussions.

Personally, I like TLF as it is. It's generally a welcoming environment, with considered and detailed discussions for the most part and a sensible level of moderation, and I feel comfortable here, there is a sense of community which many other forums lack.

--kiloran

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » July 15th, 2021, 10:42 am

Thank goodness for the HYP Practical forum!

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 15th, 2021, 10:46 am

Dod101 wrote:I am not sure if this is the right place for this comment, but I must say that for an investment site, there is not really a lot of investment discussion, especially since the usually highly opinionated contributors to the Covid discussions came on the scene. Would there I wonder be any chance that we could skew the discussion more towards investment topics?

Dod

I agree Dod. Lend me a tenner will you please :lol: I can give you it back on Friday when I get paid.

I've found when I talk about investments I get the information I need and can be on my merry way. I've put posts up about smaller investment opportunities but many have simply been of no interest to others.

You can lead a horse to water ...

AiY

gnawsome
Lemon Slice

Postby gnawsome » July 15th, 2021, 1:54 pm

Dod101 wrote:I am not sure if this is the right place for this comment, but I must say that for an investment site, there is not really a lot of investment discussion, especially since the usually highly opinionated contributors to the Covid discussions came on the scene. Would there I wonder be any chance that we could skew the discussion more towards investment topics?

Dod

I've been wondering about that,
My problem is that I only have questions.

Items that I would like to see comment on would include
the success or otherwise of investments via PRIMARY BID
is the seemingly large amount of offerings a bit of flag
When do others expect the next offer for subscription from BBOX, now that it has made its mark above £2.
When are the C19 costs to the economy for year 2020 going to be recognised

I only asked...

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » July 15th, 2021, 4:20 pm

gnawsome wrote:
I've been wondering about that,
My problem is that I only have questions.

Items that I would like to see comment on would include

Go for it

gnawsome wrote:the success or otherwise of investments via PRIMARY BID
is the seemingly large amount of offerings a bit of flag

Start a thread on Investment Strategies maybe? viewforum.php?f=8
Start a thread on Other Investing maybe? viewforum.php?f=78

gnawsome wrote:When do others expect the next offer for subscription from BBOX, now that it has made its mark above £2.

Start a thread on REITs & Property Companies maybe? viewforum.php?f=87 Or better still see if there is an existing on there.
Start a thread on Stocks and share Dealing discussions maybe? viewforum.php?f=33

gnawsome wrote:When are the C19 costs to the economy for year 2020 going to be recognised

Start a thread on Coronavirus Discussions maybe? viewforum.php?f=98
Start a thread on The Economy maybe? viewforum.php?f=62
Start a thread on Macro and Global Topics maybe? viewforum.php?f=76

gnawsome wrote:I only asked...

Noone is stopping you starting a discussion to help get those answers

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » July 15th, 2021, 4:25 pm

Dod

After 30+ years of investing I can distil all my share learnings into a single sentence - buy a Global tracker, ISA as much as possible of it, and leave it alone.

I've tried building portfolios, dabbling in derivatives, timing etc and if I'm honest would have been better just putting investment money, when available, into the above mentioned tracker. Especially as charges are now so low.

Which leaves plenty of time to discuss all the non-investment stuff :D

BoE

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » July 15th, 2021, 5:08 pm

Dod

I must admit that when Mel and I first joined TLF (March 2018) the investment type debates did seem a bit more vibrant. I know a lot of us then, (me included) got somewhat into the Political side of debates, especially in 2019 about Brexit, and perhaps that changed the tempo of things.

TBH I'm quite interested in the fusion between politics, economics and investments. I'd like to discuss these matters more; however now that I "work from home", I seem (bizarrely) to be drawn to the PC for non professional work topics less and less. I do try to drop the odd post into Company Analysis or Global/Macro but alas I sometimes struggle to keep up the momentum!

Matt

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » July 15th, 2021, 6:10 pm

TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:TBH I'm quite interested in the fusion between politics, economics and investments. I'd like to discuss these matters more; however now that I "work from home"

Me too.

The problem is that many posters are totally incapable of discussing the interaction between politics, economics and investment without turning it into a "my side is better than your side" / "anyone who voted for Brexit is an uneducated moron / racist / Nazi".

Most of these people never post about investment matters.

This happened on TMF most of the time after the Brexit vote. On one thread there I was repeatedly threatened and called a Nazi by one poster. All for discussing the effect of Brexit on low paid workers.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 15th, 2021, 6:17 pm

SalvorHardin wrote:
TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:TBH I'm quite interested in the fusion between politics, economics and investments. I'd like to discuss these matters more; however now that I "work from home"

Me too.

The problem is that many posters are totally incapable of discussing the interaction between politics, economics and investment without turning it into a "my side is better than your side" / "anyone who voted for Brexit is an uneducated moron / racist / Nazi".

Most of these people never post about investment matters.

This happened on TMF most of the time after the Brexit vote. On one thread there I was repeatedly threatened and called a Nazi by one poster

Yeah, I generally am charitable towards someone who makes good faith contributions on the investment boards, and then disagrees with me on a "political" topic.

But there are a few Lemons - maybe no more than a half dozen - who post all the time on political issues and yet I cannot recall them ever posting anything of substance or value on an investment board. Moreover their posts are often anti-capitalist or anti-markets in nature which, on a site like this, seems like borderline trolling.

Lemons should "earn their stripes" on investment topics before being deemed to be credibly pontificating on other topics.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » July 15th, 2021, 9:39 pm

Dod

I totally agree with Dod's post and sentiments.

I raised this point myself last December (2020), in a thread entitled: "Is LF moving away from investment discussions to more general discussions?", - (link below), and I was jumped on and criticised because I had previously posted on some non financial and Brexit threads. Indeed there seemed to be a greater preference to argue about my posting statistics rather than take the points I made on board. (They can't have looked at the number of posts I had made over the years about Investment Trusts, nor indeed at the number of topics I had actually initiated about IT's. They vastly outnumbered my non-financial posts and topics.)

Since then, I have reduced my involvement with LF boards, usually having just a quick look at the IT boards and now only occasionally initiating threads about Investment trusts. As things seem to have continued to deteriorate, since my previous post, rather than improve, it's likely that I shall soon discontinue my involvement completely. So, may I take this opportunity to thank the many posters who have contributed to so many interesting investment threads and most particularly those about Investment Trusts.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26989

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 15th, 2021, 10:08 pm

Lootman wrote:.

Lemons should "earn their stripes" on investment topics before being deemed to be credibly pontificating on other topics.

Yes there is some merit in this. But not a great deal... :lol:

I "earned my stripes" back in TMF days investing in property but here, the property investing board is quiet as a grave. I help out once in a while on the building and DIY board whenever I can though.

And I'm now taking a keen interest in ITs although I don't post much on ITs yet. Does that qualify me to pontificate on non-investing subjects?

PhaseThree

Postby PhaseThree » July 15th, 2021, 10:12 pm

Lootman wrote:Lemons should "earn their stripes" on investment topics before being deemed to be credibly pontificating on other topics.

That is unmitigated and complete bolox, What on earth makes you think that a knowledge of bond ladders (or whatever) gives you any knowledge or credibility in another unrelated area of human existence - or a right to pontificate on who can post and under what circumstance ?

There is a vast amount of useful knowledge knocking about on this board in both financial and many other subjects, sharing it should be encouraged not censored.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 15th, 2021, 10:22 pm

PhaseThree wrote:
Lootman wrote:Lemons should "earn their stripes" on investment topics before being deemed to be credibly pontificating on other topics.

That is unmitigated and complete bolox

Absolutely.

His Lootmanship seems prone to posting provocative stuff like this but he does it mostly to provoke a reaction to amuse himself, in my personal opinion.

PhaseThree

Postby PhaseThree » July 15th, 2021, 10:32 pm

Mike4 wrote:
PhaseThree wrote:

That is unmitigated and complete bolox

Absolutely.

His Lootmanship seems prone to posting provocative stuff like this but he does it mostly to provoke a reaction to amuse himself, in my personal opinion.

Agreed - but this time around he seems to have got some followers to support his call for censorship.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » July 15th, 2021, 11:08 pm

Surely, on an investment website, there will be as many investment oriented posts as people choose to make? If they make them they will be there, if they don't, they won't be.

Why do some people concern themselves so much with other people's posts?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 15th, 2021, 11:15 pm

XFool wrote:

Surely, on an investment website, there will be as many investment oriented posts as people choose to make? If they make them they will be there, if they don't, they won't be.

Well the simple answer to that is if not, one is talking/writing to oneself? I need to add a ? because that seems so very obvious. What is it that you actually mean?

Dod

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 15th, 2021, 11:59 pm

XFool wrote:

Dod's comments met with my own perception regarding the quantity of financial posts. Dod wasn't concerned with other people's posts, albeit the lack of investment related posts.

That aside I've stepped back from the CAN Board as its of no benefit to me. I've found myself arguing to the far end of a fart when in simple reality, and in my opinion, the debate seems more about euphemistic and semantic observations instead of a chat over a cup of tea about Current Affairs & News. And God forbid that you don't explain yourself well enough on that board. Hell no. A barrage of comments follow. It really is like walking on eggshells. So it was, so shall it ever be.

I've found the debates on the Snug often more interesting. Sometimes they spill over.

But all the above is my opinion and it's nothing more important than that

AiY

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 16th, 2021, 12:29 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
XFool wrote:

Dod's comments met with my own perception regarding the quantity of financial posts. Dod wasn't concerned with other people's posts, albeit the lack of investment related posts.

That aside I've stepped back from the CAN Board as its of no benefit to me. I've found myself arguing to the far end of a fart when in simple reality, and in my opinion, the debate seems more about euphemistic and semantic observations instead of a chat over a cup of tea about Current Affairs & News. And God forbid that you don't explain yourself well enough on that board. Hell no. A barrage of comments follow. It really is like walking on eggshells. So it was, so shall it ever be.

I've found the debates on the Snug often more interesting. Sometimes they spill over.

But all the above is my opinion and it's nothing more important than that

AiY

Not sure I entirely understand your comments, AiY, but I certainly take pleasure from reading them!

Dod

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 16th, 2021, 6:35 am

Mike4 wrote:
Lootman wrote:.Lemons should "earn their stripes" on investment topics before being deemed to be credibly pontificating on other topics.

I "earned my stripes" back in TMF days investing in property but here, the property investing board is quiet as a grave. I help out once in a while on the building and DIY board whenever I can though.

And I'm now taking a keen interest in ITs although I don't post much on ITs yet. Does that qualify me to pontificate on non-investing subjects?

In my view, yes, because you are an investor who also wishes to post on non-investment topics.

My beef was with the small minority who appear to have zero interest in investment matters, but who come to an investment community purely to talk about non-investment topics. And, moreover, usually take an anti-capitalist, anti-markets line.

I am at a loss to understand why someone would do that. It would be like me going to a gardening website and criticising gardening.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”