Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Death

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Re: Death

Postby Leothebear » July 16th, 2021, 7:29 am

"Death" is a bit too humourless for me. "Snuffed it" lightens it up a bit.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 16th, 2021, 9:16 am

pje16 wrote:When my Mum (RIP) passed after a long illness my Dad (I live a 5 mins drive from him) called and said "Paul I think she's gone"
She had been bedridden for over 2 years and we could see her getting worse week by week
She had some lunch, no drink then went to sleep and didn't wake up
Whenever I go, I want it to be like that... so very calm
As you see I still use the term passed

Personally, at the time of death I think it is entirely appropriate to say 'He/she has gone'. That is entirely accurate to me anyway. Also' Sorry for your loss' seems to me to be fine. The loss of a wife/husband or parent is usually a loss, sometimes a huge loss.

What I dislike is the use of the term 'passed' or 'passed away' when the speaker means that someone has died, especially in public announcements. That is what the OP was commenting on. What individuals say is entirely up to them though.

Dod

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » July 16th, 2021, 9:17 am

"Croaked' for me.....

"Granny can you make a noise like a frog?"

"I think so sweetie but why?"

"Cos Mummy says when you croak, we can all go to Disneyland."

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » July 16th, 2021, 10:33 am

I don't care what phrase is used when I die providing all the flags fly at half mast and the country has a suitable period of mourning. A national holiday would be nice but not essential as that could be considered a celebration of my life or more likely just a celebration that I'm gone.

(I will be beyond caring so I'm not fussed what happens.)

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 16th, 2021, 11:12 am

A lady takes a trip to The Canaries with her best friend.

When she lands she rings her husband. She's chatting away when she asks how the cat is.

He husband replies the cat is dead.

The wife says that he's broken the news to her quite badly. He should have said the cat was missing. Then when she rang the next day he could have said the cats been found and it's stuck on the roof. Then the next day he could have said the cats fallen off the roof and may not make it. Then the next day he could have said the cat's died peacefully in its sleep.

Feeling quite admonished the husband changes the topic and discusses the weather. They chat for another 10 minutes and the wife says she has to go. Before she hangs up she asks how her mother is and her husband replies, she's on the roof.

AiY

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » July 16th, 2021, 11:54 am

My mother was a very matter of fact woman and couldn't stand false sympathy. When dad died an acquaintance said, in an extremely mournful tone, "well he gone to join the choir invisible" to which my mother replied "I sincerely hope not, he couldn't hold a tune if you paid him".
When I was young it was not unusual to be invited in to see the deceased in their coffin and as Mrs. Jenkins, who did most of the laying out in the village, was a dab hand with the powder and rouge they often looked better than they did when alive.

R6

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » July 16th, 2021, 1:52 pm

Snorvey wrote:'Croaked' for me. or 'kicked the bucket'

...but it all depends on who your talking to.

'My condolences for the loss of your wife. When did she croak?'

Just before she 'kicked the bucket'?

It's an acquired taste...

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » July 19th, 2021, 3:26 pm

Passed away – or passed on – was originally less a euphemism and more of a belief that the dead person has moved from one existence to another.
But I sometimes wonder whether for some it was also a misconstruction of the Latin ‘passus’ since, historically, one of the most widely known deaths in the Western world was that of Jesus Christ. The RC Mass creed that before Vatican 2 was said by all RCs (and in distant times by the celebrant only) contains the phrase “passus et sepultus est” where passus actually means ‘suffered’ but in that context 'died' makes more sense.
Just a thought.

Bminusrob
Lemon Slice

Postby Bminusrob » July 19th, 2021, 7:34 pm

Having read through this thread, I am considering changing my will, to insist that my demise will only be spoken (or written) of as one of:

1. Turned my toes up
2. Kicked the bucket
3. Gone back to Yorkshire to meet up with God

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 19th, 2021, 8:00 pm

Far more difficult than discussing someone's recently dead spouse is when you discover you are about to meet someone you haven't had any contact with for a long time, and last time their spouse was seriously ill and not looking like lasting too long.

How does one graciously enquire as to whether they are alive or dead? "Hello Mrs Jones, how is your husband? Is he still with us?" is about the best I can think of, but still not very good...

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » July 19th, 2021, 8:06 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:...
When I was young it was not unusual to be invited in to see the deceased in their coffin and as Mrs. Jenkins, who did most of the laying out in the village, was a dab hand with the powder and rouge they often looked better than they did when alive.

R6

Hence the apocryphal comment - "Ooh, that week in Rhyl did him the world of good"

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » July 19th, 2021, 8:45 pm

Mike4 wrote:Far more difficult than discussing someone's recently dead spouse is when you discover you are about to meet someone you haven't had any contact with for a long time, and last time their spouse was seriously ill and not looking like lasting too long.

How does one graciously enquire as to whether they are alive or dead? "Hello Mrs Jones, how is your husband? Is he still with us?" is about the best I can think of, but still not very good...

How about simply, "how is your husband?".

doolally
Lemon Slice

Postby doolally » July 19th, 2021, 8:49 pm

Mike4 wrote:Far more difficult than discussing someone's recently dead spouse is when you discover you are about to meet someone you haven't had any contact with for a long time, and last time their spouse was seriously ill and not looking like lasting too long.

Why not try "Hello Mrs Jones, how are you?"

That may result in news of her husband. If not, follow up with "And how is Mr Jones?"

doolally

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 19th, 2021, 10:09 pm

Clariman wrote:

How about simply, "how is your husband?".

That is the sensible way forward I think. If he is dead she will tell you and you will know. I think a bit like using the word death or dead for a deceased, we are altogether too afraid to front up with the question. Surviving spouses, and I think female ones are better at it, tend to be fairly matter of fact about it whatever their own feelings are. It has happened to me several times and of course you simply answer the question. Often the enquirer ends up more embarrassed than the bereaved spouse.

Dod

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 19th, 2021, 10:13 pm

My good lady received a call from one of her colleagues tonight. She'd rung to confirm her husband had "passed away" over the weekend and would my good lady convey that to the rest of her work friends.

I suppose at the time you say what you're most comfortable with.

AiY

gnawsome
Lemon Slice

Postby gnawsome » July 19th, 2021, 11:58 pm

Bminusrob wrote:Having read through this thread, I am considering changing my will, to insist that my demise will only be spoken (or written) of as one of:

1. Turned my toes up
2. Kicked the bucket

I've aked that I shall be noted as
"gone fo a smoke" at the crem

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 20th, 2021, 12:37 am

Bminusrob wrote:Having read through this thread, I am considering changing my will, to insist that my demise will only be spoken (or written) of as one of:

1. Turned my toes up
2. Kicked the bucket

God moved out when civilisation and rocketing property prices arrived. In what can only be described as a flit (please Google) s/he left behind her/his worldly wealth of two sheep, one chicken and a lame cow to follow a more devout undertaking herding cats in Salford.

Amen

AiY

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » July 20th, 2021, 2:09 am

Software engineers ... log out.
Shop till operators ... check out
MPs ... rot in hell

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 20th, 2021, 6:20 am

1nvest wrote:Software engineers ... log out.
Shop till operators ... check out
MPs ... rot in hell

Not that I think that it has much to do with the subject matter but if that is what you think of MPs then do something about it. I would not want their job but someone has to do it and by and large although some might be incompetent and I do not think that many of them deserve that fate.............although maybe it was meant as a joke?

Dod

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » July 20th, 2021, 11:12 am

Moderator Message:
No more politics please, otherwise the political posts will all be removed. They are completely off topic for this thread. Thanks Clariman

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”