Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

email clutter

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

email clutter

Postby brightncheerful » July 22nd, 2021, 4:17 pm

Having just received from a firm of solicitors an email with 10 attachments of which 7 are .png files, image of logos, that sort of thing, i wonder how much clutter would end up on my computer hard drive and back-up if I didn't delete it as i go.

Does anyone else delete such as it arrives or do you let it pile up until one day your hard drive is full?

Perhaps i should package the files into lots and attach them to outgoing emails when communicating with businesses and persons whom I would never want to get a reply from?

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Re: email clutter

Postby Midsmartin » July 22nd, 2021, 5:46 pm

These emails are probably pretty small. Those PNG files are tiny.
Office365 gives a default mailbox of 50GB for example. Very few people use all this, unless they frequently send huge images, CAD drawings etc. I hardly ever delete emails, and have 15GB of mail on my PC. I do sometimes trawl through and delete a load of junk mail, but not often. This is not a lot of storage space, unless you have a tiny 128GB solid state drive or something.

So unless your hard drive is within a few percent of being full it is not a problem.

So the question is do you have free space on your C: drive (assuming Windows)?

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 22nd, 2021, 9:13 pm

I'm impressed you've discovered a solicitor that uses email instead of pigeon post.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 22nd, 2021, 10:55 pm

Mike4 wrote:I'm impressed you've discovered a solicitor that uses email instead of pigeon post.

I seem to recollect the solicitor who did my conveyancing two years ago used a healthy mix of email (predominantly) and paper. And since it was a fixed price, I wasn't terrified to email them either!

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 23rd, 2021, 3:18 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Mike4 wrote:I'm impressed you've discovered a solicitor that uses email instead of pigeon post.

I seem to recollect the solicitor who did my conveyancing two years ago used a healthy mix of email (predominantly) and paper. And since it was a fixed price, I wasn't terrified to email them either!

I remember about 20 years ago getting a letter from my solicitor proudly telling me they now had an email address, and inviting me to use it. So I sent a brief email asking something trivial about a house purchase going through at the time. No response.

About a fortnight later however, I received a letter in the post with a printed copy of my email attached. The letter contained a full and detailed answer to my trivial question, made completely obsolete by events in the intervening two weeks.

I'm not sure that LLP ever really 'got' email. They were taken over by a much larger firm a few years later.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » July 23rd, 2021, 7:34 am

I enable the column labelled "Size" in my email client. Then I know exactly how much hard drive space is being taken up (usually a negligible amount).

GS

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » July 23rd, 2021, 8:26 am

I do trim my emails as best I can - but not so much to save diskspace but to retain some semblance of beign able to access pertinent information, rather than being left with a wood for trees situation. I also use fiolders to separate emails into (and remove from inbox). This way my inbox only contains emails that will need my attention, and i can access anything archived/with info that may nee needed from the folders. My main folders are by year - so 2021 contains emails that i received this year and are of interest still.

I purge inbox when emails there are dealt with, and purge where appropriate emails form the folders.

It works for me and it means i can usually find emails quickly.

I'm also a little OCD and autistic!

didds

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 23rd, 2021, 9:19 am

Thunderbird flashes up a warning when I'm using more than about 75% of my mailbox, and then it's just a matter of sorting the contents into size order, so that I can get rid of (a) the oldest, (b) the largest, or (c) those files that straddle the two criteria with no particularly good reason for keeping them.

Oddly, this where Thunderbird isn't so good. I can sort files by size, but then they keep on unsorting themselves whenever my back is turned. :evil: My domain provider's webmail site is more flexible. Doesn't take very long.

The worst offenders are people who snap 15 megabyte pics on their cameras or iphones and then send me half a dozen in one email. We get a fair number of legal docs, mostly as PDFs, but few of them can compete with people who don't get their minds into focus before they ask their cameras to do the same. :(

BJ

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”